#1 Perkele

Perkele

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hello all!

I'm new here and I actually found this forum quite by accident. After reading some topics I installed my QfG games again and by using DosBox i was able to play on WinXP too. NewRisingSun patch also helped me through error 52 at Monk's tomb - which had troubled me since 1990s!

Now I'm playing as a fighter with all possible skills (just for fun) but my play-all-series-through was interrupted by a totally new problem: the game freezes on fighting wraiths! As I enter a screen with wraith tomb I just see a pile of rocks (I remember the wraith should appear there too - I might be wrong too) but I can fight the wraith by clicking rocks. After defeating wraith the game freezes on screen the wraith should disappear. Hero just stands there and I can't really do much else with mouse cursor than save or load the game etc. Normally I should be able to search the pile of rocks and walk away. Weirdest of all is that I was able to do this once after I started playing this - but now I can't do it again. And the only wraith I should kill (with the ritual) is still there undefeated... and by the way, the game doesn't freeze if I run away from the battle or die fighting. There are also no problem in fighting any other monster.

If anyone has encountered this same problem and has been able to beat it, please let me know!

#2 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

So, the devil himself fighting wraiths... Seems there's another Finn here. wink.gif

Haven't had that problem myself, but the game is pretty buggy so it doesn't really come as a surprise you should face something like that. Save often and reload is pretty much all I can tell. Maybe you could play around with the game speed and details or with the CPU Cycles in DOSBox...
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#3 Lujan

Lujan

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

I had the exact same problem - I just waited to engage the wraiths until after I had the protection amulet, and things worked alright afterwards, with one exception. The "main" wraith who stores the battleaxe still froze for me, but I kept retrying/waiting a bit longer and eventually it worked. I suspect there is an issue with a parallel storyline involving the Paladin, which I'll be happy to describe if you don't mind spoilers/already know the Paladin storyline.

Edit: it might also help to save right before combat, restart the game and load that save game. Part of me thinks its a sound issue and if the combat terminates towards the beginning of the session, it might be more inclined to work.

and Darian, Raymond Feist is my favorite author. 5 more books till the series ends!

Edited by Lujan, 22 June 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#4 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking & Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG & especially Strategy)

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

As a pure Fighter you already have an Amulet from Magda, OK now save one screen before the Wraith, your speed should at be at the max. and Skill level at the min. don't worry about throwing stones here because this is one tough SOB, run up to it and destroy it with your sword! This ought to do it you may lose a lot of your health points, I've never had any problem, in any category!! Alternately play that part in DOSBox!!

PEACE!!!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#5 Perkele

Perkele

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for all your posts. None of the tips you gave me actually helped me. On the other hand you could say all of them did. I got frustrated on dozens of attempts on the problem and finally I made a new installation of the game with no sounds and without any later patch installed. I even didn't use dosbox to play it. I was quite amazed as the wraith problem was solved! Of course I was troubled by every other possible bug and error but being able to copy saved games from a directory to another I could go around this one!

btw I was actually thinking Perkele as a pagan god - not as Devil.

#6 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Perkele @ Jun 24 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
btw I was actually thinking Perkele as a pagan god - not as Devil.

Well, yeah, that was the original meaning. What kind of god was he? I just can't seem to recall my mythology right now...
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#7 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I'm also having this problem, and I'm surprised no one else reports having it, as I've now tried this on two different computers, and both of them have had this bug when the New Rising Sun patches are installed. The first computer was my old one from 1999 that I kept around just so I could play these old games. I installed the NRS patch and played QfG4 in pure DOS and had this problem. Now, playing on DOSBox on a more modern PC with the NRS patch installed, I have the problem again.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone has found a solution to this by now. I can't believe this bug is so rare, when it's happened on two completely different computers now.

Also, I'm playing as a Wizard right now and having this problem. This seems to be a problem that's caused by having the NRS patches installed at all. That also means I can't wait to get the amulet. I'll never get it. I'm still having this problem even when I have the Aura spell cast.

Edited by Arlo, 16 December 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#8 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

This bug is caused by the NRS patch. The part of the patch that is supposed to address health draining too fast when encountering a wraith is what causes the lockup. It seems like it mostly hits those playing as a thief, though a few others playing hybrid classes with thief abilities. The latest installer should address it.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#9 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Strange, because I don't have any thief abilities. I'm a pure Wizard.

I'm assuming the installer is only for Windows? I'm running DOSBox on Linux, so can you just tell me which additional patches need to be installed?

#10 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

Most that have reported the problem have had thief abilities, but obviously can affect other classes. I have had several on Linux use my installers via WINE, including the author of DOSBox, himself. It allows for the optimal configuration of the game and DOSBox with proper patching. If you want to run DOSBox natively afterwards, all you need to do is remove or change the "output=" and the "captures=" then modify the path in the [autoexec] section in the dosbox.conf file in the game's directory and start the game in a Linux build of DOSBox using that conf file. That said, to manually fix the NRS wraith patch bug, you can delete the script file 53.SCR and the heap file 53.HEP and in your PATCHES directory to get rid of the wraith part of the patch. This means that you will also need to lower the cycles for DOSBox to maybe around 8000 with using core to avoid health from draining too fast.

Edit, if you know anyone good at scripting on Linux, I would love to add Linux versions of my installer scripts.

Edited by Collector, 18 December 2011 - 12:04 AM.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#11 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

Thanks, that worked (deleting the 53.SCR and 53.HEP files). I don't know any good scripters, unfortunately, but if I meet any, I'll send them your way.

#12 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS &amp; TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Away from the comp?.. drinking.. mostly drinking ;P

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Oh thank goodness.. I've been stuck for ages with this problem!!!!

Am finally replaying through QFG4 to finish the QFG page on my website and was having a great time until I hit this problem. It happened a few times with my hybrid paladin character but then strangely went away after a few days. But with my hybrid Wizard character it happened every time I tried, so I was getting pretty distraught until I found this thread!

Sure enough moving the 53.SCR and 53.HEP files out of the game directory and setting dosbox's CPU speed down to 3000 allowed me to fight all the wraiths (bloody slowly I'll point out but its better than the alternative!) and get the much needed quest items.

Thanks again for the solution! smile.gif

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.

#13 Dhraiden

Dhraiden

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Had the same exact problem, removing the '53' fix files solved it. Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users