31 replies to this topic

#1 Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

So, I've played the hell out of the remake, and I've played a bit of the O.G. I couldn't really hang with the parser back then though, however after making through both versions of quest for glory 2 I think I can handle it now. Still though the only thing I can take away from the original game is that the heroes costume was awful, so much that I prefer the remake to the original. What do you guys think?

#2 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

I'd have to say I like the EGA version better. There is actually an older thread here, which has a voting poll. Currently the vote is 15 to 7 in favour of EGA over VGA.

For me, there is probably some influence due to the fact that I played Hero's Quest first, before it was renamed Quest for Glory 1. That was the first game I played, and the reason I got into the whole series. There's a number of other little things here and there, but since I don't mind typing, I'm quite happy with that style. I do like both versions, but for me, EGA has the edge.

#3 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:35 AM

Ok, one thing that is really annoying about the remake (QFG1VGA) is that when you have Cheetaur claws, you can only sell one at a time to the Healer. If you have 40 or 50 of them, it takes too damn long.

In QFG1EGA, you sell the whole lot at once. It means you get gold coins (every 2 claws = 1 gold coin), instead of 5 silver, one claw at a time. Less weight to carry around when you get gold.

Anyway, one more reason I like the EGA version better!

#4 Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

One thing that I don't like about the vga version is that it loses track of all of your gold during importation. Only the silver transfers over. In order to transfer your gold you have to drop all of your silver in front of the centaur chick, buy some apples, drop your silver, buy more apples, repeat until finished, and pick up all of your dropped silver. I did this once with the mushroom glitch and a mouse macro program and it took hours.

Keeping your gold works so much better in the ega version.

Edited by Jack of All Trades, 08 August 2009 - 10:13 PM.

#5 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:00 AM

I don't think I've noticed that before. So when you say importation, do you mean when you go to import to QFG2, that the QFG1VGA export characters do not keep their gold coins for when they get imported to QFG2? I haven't noticed that, but usually don't have many gold coins in QFG1VGA. However, still not nice that you don't get to export / import with all of your money.

#6 Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, its a programming oversight exclusive to the vga version.

#7 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

All the more reason to play the EGA version instead! wink.gif

#8 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Women, Treasure, Battles, Spoils of War, Women, Arcane Items, Technological Items, and Women.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:15 AM

I also favor the EGA for the Troll cave. Enry's door in the EGA is stone while in the VGA it's word. In fact the only thing I liked about the VGA was Zara. Although the VGA Elsa (swiss miss girl) matches DF Elsa. I liked the EGA Elsa more, partially because I'm a sucker for women who can properly wear corsets.

Edited by Paladin Wizard, 14 September 2009 - 04:16 AM.

Find QFG Import files here.

#9 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:04 AM

I may have mentioned this somewhere else before, but the Brigand "ambush" has a much more menacing feeling to it in the EGA version. The VGA animations from where the guys hiding and then getting into position looks somewhat comical, whereas the EGA version has a better build-up of suspense. The EGA version has more of an "oh crap, get me out of here" effect. eek.gif

#10 Fenn

Fenn

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

EGA all the way. I bought the VGA off of Ebay about 3-5 years ago. I have the original floppy disks that said Hero's Quest, which IMO is way better than QFG. I know the art is so pixelated but I prefer the original artwork, it doesn't seem as cartoony. Also, I have many memories of my brother and I trying to get the centaur chick to kiss us.

One thing I never did get was Erasmus' maze? Did that work on EGA. For some reason I remember feeling like nothing I did would make a difference.

#11 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

I think the main trick with the maze is to try to play it after you have built up your magic skills. For example, if your Fetch skill is very low, it is very hard to move a ladder or bridge. Low skill level limits your time to move them, so they usually end up in the same place as they were originally. If your Fetch is at 100, you'll have plenty of time to drag them across the screen. You may also have to resort to moving ladders or bridges while Erasmus' entity is on top of them. That will cause him to start at the beginning again, and buys you more time to get your entity through the maze. scatter.gif

#12 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

I prefer the original because it has the "Razzle Dazzle Root Bear" debug code. Yeah, some might call it cheating, but in the early days of me playing, I just wanted to get through a game in one piece!

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#13 Kahlis

Kahlis

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

Holy bumpage Batman! Then again, maybe that's acceptable as this forum's activity begins to dwindle.

I picked the original EGA version, for numerous reasons:
  • The charming graphics. The limited 16 color palette just gives everybody more character, I guess. The facial expressions on the hero (one of which I loved so much I had to make it my avatar), the Antwerp's indifferent Walrus-esque expression, the frightening closeups of enemies.
  • The text parser. Now, I usually prefer games with a point-and-click interface, but you get some feelings of accomplishment in QFG1 EGA that aren't there in VGA. Guessing what conversation topics to ask, trying to figure out how to use certain items or what areas can be examined. It's just far more rewarding.
  • The combat system. It's still far inferior to Quest for Glory 2's (which I feel is the greatest), but the remake's was odd and very QFG3-esque. Being able to re-attack while you were attacking, dying of fatigue...it just didn't feel right to me.
  • Miscellaneous other nice touches, such as the Easter Egg messages when clicking on certain pixels or the razzle dazzle root beer code. Heck, I agree with Ghost_Rider's remark on the Brigand Ambush entirely. The original game, overall, just felt more polished and emotional to me than the VGA remake, in which you can find all sorts of miscellaneous errors.

For those who haven't guessed yet, I'm new! I recently inherited a Quest for Glory: Collection Series from a friend and, 90s adventure games having been a staple of my childhood, I couldn't pass up his offer. I played through this original first and loved it, and am currently making my way through QFG3. I look forward to contributing on this forum! smile.gif

Edited by Kahlis, 24 October 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#14 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

I'm going to say that the EGA version had less bugs and issues than the VGA version, which is why I consider it, in some ways, to be better. However, DosBox solved some (not all) the issues with the VGA version, and after that, I would say that the VGA is a better game over all. I will list some EGA vs VGA stuff

1: The dagger problem: This is actually the single biggest gripe I have with the VGA version of the game. When you throw daggers at your enemy, they can only be recovered if you go to your inventory and pick them up BEFORE the combat starts. Once you fight the monster, your daggers are gone forever. Every other incarnation of QFG never had a problem like this, and I think it was unacceptable that it should have been there.

2: Yorick stays inside: In the EGA version, upon explaining to Yorick why you're there, what you know, and what you're trying to do, he realizes you're on his side and the savior he's been waiting for years for and immediately goes out of the room. In the VGA version, he stays in, and if you're not quick enough, he might even throw things at you and impede your progress through the maze.

This problem was solved in part due to Dosbox since I could slow things down and act quick enough to get through the doors before Yorick could throw anything at me. Also if you're a wizard, casting a spell, any spell, makes Yorick flee.

3: Combat: Combat is hard in QFG 1 VGA only when you're starting out, once you have your stats built up, you're basically a hardcore fighting machine that few monsters stand a chance against. In QFG EGA, combat is still tough regardless of your stats, you'll still take a lot of damage when fighting monsters like Saurus rexes, Cheetaurs, and Trolls. So in that respect, the EGA version is more challenging, but I never really figured out the combat in terms of dodging and parrying much, so even though you can cruise through most enemies in the VGA once you max out (Trolls will still be a headache if you don't dodge or parry right), I would say that the VGA has its fighting system much better done.

4: The Swordmaster: Before DosBox, I would say the EGA is better since the game ran on its own clock and the speed of the sword master didn't matter. With DosBox, you're able to slow down the swordmaster just as well to beat the guy fairly in the VGA version as well, so they're even here (VGA gets points for better graphics).

5: Dag-Nab-It: The dagger game in the EGA gets harder the more you bet. This is why the game awards you extra points for winning the 50 silver game in addition to winning a normal (I.E. 5 or 10 silver) game. The VGA version doesn't really have much more challenge and the chief thief is still easy as heck to beat even when betting 50 silvers. Was this on purpose or an oversight in the VGA version, I don't know.

Basically, beyond the dagger problem I described, the VGA has a lot of good stuff over the EGA, but there are still some bugs and issues that just didn't exist in the EGA version (Yorick leaving, recovering daggers, challenge of the dagger game) that have the programming edge over the VGA.

For me, I like to alternate every now and then between the games.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#15 Paviel

Paviel

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (Jack of All Trades @ Aug 8 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing that I don't like about the vga version is that it loses track of all of your gold during importation. Only the silver transfers over. In order to transfer your gold you have to drop all of your silver in front of the centaur chick, buy some apples, drop your silver, buy more apples, repeat until finished, and pick up all of your dropped silver. I did this once with the mushroom glitch and a mouse macro program and it took hours.

Keeping your gold works so much better in the ega version.

In my experience, this is incorrect. The VGA version does keep track of your (well, my) gold. Then again, I never exploit the mushroom glitch.

Come to think of it, the last time I did use the mushroom glitch, I think I remember having far less gold than I should have had. That's probably why I stopped using it.

But that was nearly 15 years ago, so I can't be sure.

Edited by Paviel, 01 October 2010 - 07:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users