#1 SierraFan1981

SierraFan1981

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hey everyone!!

Since my pure thief character is basically at a point right now where he can finish the quest with relative ease, I decided to continue in my pure character spree and start a fresh game as a magic user. and WOW what a tough time it is! Starting the game basically broke and with a fairly weak spell...this guy IS a true hero...I truely feel like I'm roughing it and earning the title. (like Wolfgang said)

Guess I spoiled myself all those years playing as a fighter and being able to best monsters and play at the goblin grounds for money, and especially with my recent game as a thief, having access to fencing loot and betting on 50 silvers a game at dag-nab-it, you can be financially set in no time!!

But my future wizard is scraping by....it will be a long road...I want to at least get a flame dart spell...the zap doesn't have much...ehem spark to it lol
The Procestuousity begins here!

#2 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

I dunno, in the 1st game the magic user can't really get away from close combat. I found that the Zap-spell gives you a pretty good edge, especially when you've practised it enough, since it really ups the damage you make. I think that every hero class should be able to handle themselves in battle, regardless of their skills, cuz there comes a time when you're out of mana or can't sneak past or run fast enough. Not all battles can or should be avoided.

But yeah, before you get your skills high enough, the 1st few days can really be hard on your health. Just keep in mind the prize and you'll get past it.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#3 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

If you really want a tougher time starting out, do what I usually do by now...start a new character and don't dedicate points at all to him...a bare basic character as it were. Tough, but rewarding.

Yeah, mages are slow starters. Mana quickly burns out, replenishes slowly and mana potions/pills are usually expensive. Once they get their skills up there, they're often the most lethal of the classes. If you want my advice...make flame dart the first spell you buy. You should just have enough money to afford it and you can't start practicing it early enough. The healer's reward for her ring and for the components that don't involve fighting some overpowered monster can get you the other two spells. And yeah, do practice your physical skills so you can at least whack goblins.

#4 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, wizards are pretty hard to play in QG1. I usually train all my characters physically in combat skills with their inherent fighting abilities (I don't add parry or anything), so my wizards and thieves are usually pretty proficient with a blade.

It really does help down the line too in some of the other games.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#5 Split Personality

Split Personality

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

I find Mage's hard to play in general. I actually found that QfG1 was one of the easier ones, if you had a lot of patience for grinding skills. Even in later games where you presumably have a head start from an imported character, I've always found the economic end to be a problem. As a Wizard in QfG 2, for example, I always felt like I was either continuously broke from Mana pills (and not able to find enough wealthy monsters to support my habit), or I was spending insane amounts of time sleeping to regain paltry amounts of Mana. But yes, once you get your hands on a variety of spells and have a chance to practice them up a bit, they're quite powerful. They just require a lot of work getting to that point.

#6 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:13 AM

I find Mage's hard to play in general. I actually found that QfG1 was one of the easier ones, if you had a lot of patience for grinding skills. Even in later games where you presumably have a head start from an imported character, I've always found the economic end to be a problem. As a Wizard in QfG 2, for example, I always felt like I was either continuously broke from Mana pills (and not able to find enough wealthy monsters to support my habit), or I was spending insane amounts of time sleeping to regain paltry amounts of Mana. But yes, once you get your hands on a variety of spells and have a chance to practice them up a bit, they're quite powerful. They just require a lot of work getting to that point.

You pretty much nailed the problem with the magic user in all of the games.... money for mana pills and potions to practice! In QFG 1 it was hard enough as it is, QFG 2 and 3 would break your finances in half, QFG 4 you could only get the fruit once per day and while QFG 5 as a bit more forgiving, you had better stock up on mana pills and potions since after the rite where Shakra gets drugged you have no other way of getting them unless you attack tritons and hope they have mana potions on them (they're the only monsters that carry that stuff).

Thieves and fighters generally have it easier, financially, but a lot of powerful spells can be handier at times.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#7 Keapon Laffin

Keapon Laffin

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Paladinlover @ Jan 2 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You pretty much nailed the problem with the magic user in all of the games.... money for mana pills and potions to practice! In QFG 1 it was hard enough as it is, QFG 2 and 3 would break your finances in half, QFG 4 you could only get the fruit once per day and while QFG 5 as a bit more forgiving, you had better stock up on mana pills and potions since after the rite where Shakra gets drugged you have no other way of getting them unless you attack tritons and hope they have mana potions on them (they're the only monsters that carry that stuff).

Thieves and fighters generally have it easier, financially, but a lot of powerful spells can be handier at times.

It's easy to build up magic skills in 3 once you find the big tree. Climb to the top, restores your health, stamina and mana. I like that tree.
Being lost is a state of having misplaced yourself. This is often done by very foolish people. "Lost" can also apply to a possession or thing that you have misplaced. Note, if you survive a plane crash and are subsequently stuck on an island, you are not Lost, you are f*cked.

My name is Keapon Laffin and I am a Bard.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#8 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

It's easy to build up magic skills in 3 once you find the big tree. Climb to the top, restores your health, stamina and mana. I like that tree.

*slaps head* the Tree of Life! How could I ever have forgotten that! It was actually one of the coolest parts of QFG 3, really.

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.