10 replies to this topic

#1 Paladarian

Paladarian

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hey guys, I'm new (here). I've been looking for the past seven or so years to see if any Quest for Glory I internet sites ever had references or saved games for the original QFG1 original called Hero's Quest. The versions of it that I have are Hero's Quest 1.102 with and without mouse support (remember those good old Tandy days). QFG1's version that I have is 1.200 but is otherwise the exact same thing with "Quest for Glory I" as a replacement to "Hero's Quest I". The box cover of HQ1 shows the hero (a fighter) fighting a dragon that is similar to but much larger than a saurus rex except for much different coloring. Remembering back to the late 80's when the game first came out, I talked with someone who had found the dragon and fought it only to loose horrible and restore to a point much before that. So I issue the request (or challange) to see if anyone can find, or make, a saved game of a fighter in the original game battling the dragon.

Though it may seem like I'm pulling your leg, its not that far-fetched as Wolfang Amateuer in the adventurer's guild mentions two dragons when he and stephon slay the first one. The second one flew off but he says the other is seen flying around occasionally still.

I am pretty sure the best way to check this would be to go through Hero's Quest instead of Quest for glory.

If anyone could verify (or disproove this) I would be very happy, as this has always nagged me about the series.

#2 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hi Paladarian, and welcome to the forums! As far as I know, the dragon is never seen by the Hero in Hero's Quest or QFG1EGA (or the VGA version either). I have the DOS version of Hero's Quest as well as the Amiga version, have played through both and never once seen a dragon.

Years ago, a friend told me that he climbed the rocks beside the waterfall near 'Enry's place and found the dragon up there.... but later admitted that he had just made this up.

I did wonder for a while if perhaps there was a dragon you could encounter and possibly battle in the game, but as far as I know, there is not.

#3 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Nope, no dragon... sorry frown.gif

I was messing around with SCI Studio a while back with the EGA version on the game... and I was able to see all the animations and everything possible in the game, and looked through them. The only thing that had a dragon for the animations was the one you see during the opening credits that breathes flames out to reveal the games title.

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#4 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking & Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG & especially Strategy)

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

Welcome Paladarian. Sorry to disillusion you but outside the Guild there's no 'dragon' here...in either version.

Happy Questing! And PEACE!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#5 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

No dragon, though the saurus rex is a close relative, I'd imagine.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#6 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing our friend meant "Saurus Rex". The Saurus Rex appears when your Experience count is high, like in the thousands or so. It'd require you to be weeks within the game (in game time).

Same deal with getting Trolls to appear at night... and other rarer monsters.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#7 Paladarian

Paladarian

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

Well thats it. I was hoping someone had looked through HQ1 with SCI studio, I just hadn't bothered to myself. Thanks.

#8 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

I looked through QFG 1 with SCI studio, and I can safely say that there's no dragon to fight. The manual even mentions zombies, and so does the healer (though she says something about it being too damp for them... what does that mean?) and yet there are no zombies to fight in the whole game.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#9 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:RPGs, Music, Fighting Games

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

the one at the manual cover is definitely the saurus rex with hiperbolic proportion. dragons and zombies are just made up things to set up the mood. the ghosts at qfg 1 are much more fiercer than the ones we found at qfg 4. i miss old vga games frown.gif
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#10 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (tatsu @ Sep 7 2007, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i miss old vga games frown.gif

I miss old EGA games. Now I feel old. smile.gif

Actually, I don't really miss them, because I still have them and can still play them thanks to DOSBox. For QFG games specifically, thanks to DOSBox and also the NRS Patches. thumbs.gif

#11 Eric_Meisterson

Eric_Meisterson

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:I am not currently interested in my interests. If my interests happen to change, you may find it interessting to learn that I will still not be interested in them. Interestingly enough, though intersting, my interests are - in fact- not all that interesting to begin with. I do, however, find it interesting that you are interested enough in my interests to ask. And for that...<br />... I will kindly impolite emission of wind in your general direction.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

There is a dragon (other than in the intro, the GUild Hall and Erasmus' livingroom), but you can not fight it.

In the original version (Hero's Quest: EGA, VER 1.01), there is an EXTREMELY rare text that describes the hero spotting the dragon that survived the fight with Wolfgang and the Baron. You would type 'look sky' or 'look up' and the reply would read something like:
"You see a small dot over the mountains to the North, too large for a bird, as if some massive creature were slowly circling overhead."
(The mountains to the North, above Erana's Peace, are called the Dragonsmoke mountains.)

I have only seen it once in the 400+ times I have played it over the last 18 years. I imagine you have to ask Wolfgang a specific set of questions (including asking about the dragon head on the wall), possibly in a specific order, and then exit the Adventurer's Guild and type the aforementioned command immediately after exiting. I have tried to re-create it, without success. My brother did once, but he accidentally hit the ENTER key before I came rushing into the room.
If you don't do it just right, the message will read: "You see a clear blue sky, with a few scuddling white clouds."

In the VGA remake, if you ask Wolfgang about the dragon head, proceed outside the Town's front gate, and imediately click the eye icon on the sky, you will sometimes see a shodow of the dragon pass over the ground (and the Hero) with a message that reads: "Whoa! What was that!", or something similar.

And just for everyone's F.Y.I., if you look closely at the creature on the cover art for Hero's Quest, you will see a distinct lack of wings, and two stubby little arms. Corey Cole later confirmed in an interview with some long forgotten internet news agency that the image IS actually that of a Saurus Rex. The cover was later changed for the re-release of the EGA version. The re-released version's cover has a dragon in a sort of 'stained-glass' style.

"Light does not require darkness to exist, rather, darkness can not exist where the light doth reign."
- The Undanted Zephyr (a.k.a. Eric Meisterson)

"Buttkicking for goodness!"
- Minsc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users