Photo

Please post all the Qfg Easter Eggs you know...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Mon dieu, I never realised that Easter Egg existed, because I'm no basketball follower... Thanks for the explanation.

#17 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Oh yeah! He's the guy who fought Bruce Lee in that movie a long while back. Should've remembered him.

Isn't there some pizza to be found in the savanna in QG3?
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#18 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

only if you run into a chargin rhino, im afraid...

Gaily bedight, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of El Dorado.
But he grew old, this knight so bold, and o'er his heart a shadow,
Fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like El Dorado.
And as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgrim shadow.
'Shadow,' said he,' Where can it be, this land of El Dorado?'
'Over the mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,' the shade replied,' if you seek for El Dorado.'

#19 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

Mon plaisir, Almirena! *smile* I used to follow the NBA, and play some basketball, in my younger days. I can still remember Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and his famous "skyhooks" and slam-dunks - I doubt I'll ever forget them. He was an exciting player to watch. smile.gif

Coupled with Erwin "Magic" Johnson, plus a host of other talented players, and opposed by Larry Bird and his own talented team in the Boston Celtics, it made for some dynamic, explosive, and very exciting basketball.
My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#20 'Enery The 'ermit

'Enery The 'ermit

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:17 AM

This may be a lesser known one. I was playing through (am now on an older computer infact) and upon requesting the Fairy dust from the fairies (remake) after a long bicker they say

"Make Mikey do it, She'll touch anything" a play on the old Life commcerials

Also: A more commonly known one, the book Kaspar is reading is entitled "Quest for Glory: a Hero's Death" A play on the games title obviously wink.gif

Edited by 'Enery The 'ermit, 22 March 2006 - 03:19 AM.

Thus Spake Zarathustra!

#21 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

In QfG1, in the Guild you get a lotta funny responses when you look at the heads of dead monsters (there's a word for that, but just can't remember it...). One of them tells about the two guys from Andromeda, a play on the Space Quest series. Also, in Dragonfire, by looking at the dead animals in the guild you get a lotta funny responses. If you look over the fireplace it says something in the lines of "It's Mickey's mantle", referring to the legendary baseballer.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#22 Doctor Foreman

Doctor Foreman

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:00 AM

I've found a hatful of pop culture references in Quest for Glory, some of them VERY obscure. Here goes:

Quest for Glory I
- The Meeps may be a reference to walking furball aliens from the British sci-fi show Doctor Who, who are also called...meeps!
- If you look at one of the brigand archers, there's a joke about how you'll soon be "impeccably dressed in your Arrow shirt." That's a real brand of shirt.
- Yorick is the name of the jester in Hamlet. (In fact, he even paraphases Hamlet - "I knew me well.")
- The Three Stooges appear as brigands.
- Possible stretch: the movie "Night of the Demon" also features a little cat that magically turns into a huge panther to attack an intruder during a break-in.

Quest for Glory II
- Characters and concepts are lifted from The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca.
- The Pillsbury Doughboy, the Marx Brothers, and the Enterprise all appear.
- Khaveen uses the Visa catchphrase "don't leave home without it."
- The astrologer quotes "The Dawning of the Age of Aquarious" - right?
- Here comes another Doctor Who reference - the main villain on that series, the Master, has snake eyes and a goatee, hypnotizes people with his eyes, and is always trying to summon huge powerful creatures that he can't control. Coincidence? Maybe...I just like references to Doctor Who!

Quest for Glory III
- My Dad says the Guardian is from the original Star Trek.
- Tarzan has a monkey friend called Manu.

Quest for Glory IV
- The title is a play on the vampire TV series "Dark Shadows," right?
- The head of the thieves' guild is character actor Peter Lorre. Boris is undoubtedly Boris Karloff.
- How about this one - the 1963 British horror film "Kiss of the Vampire" features a girl, Tania, who is stolen away from her innkeeper parents by vampires. The big difference? The movie Tania is a teenage babe.
- The Rusalka's name is Elissa. This may be a reference to Dido (also called Elissa), a character from the Aenied who dies after being wronged by her (male) lover. The Rusalka's fiancee was called "Janus" (if I remember right), which is literary shorthand for someone two-faced and treacherous.

Quest for Glory V
- The sunken statue near the dock is described as having "Brobdignagian proportions" (sp?) - a reference to the giant people from Gulliver's Travels.
- Dr. Pretorious is a character in the movie "Bride of Frankenstein" - even the voice is an imitation.
- Peter Lorre's back...so is Sydney Greenstreet (Ferrari)
- Quark, the bartender from Deep Space Nine, is referenced in the Science Island test.
- You know Minos is based on Jay Leno! (OK, this is really a stretch...)

#23 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

The title is a play on the vampire TV series "Dark Shadows," right?

I live near the house that show was filmed in.

#24 Doctor Foreman

Doctor Foreman

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

Hey, cool - where's that?

#25 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

I haven't been there in a while but i think its in Shelton or Stratford, Connecticut

#26 TribeHasSpoken

TribeHasSpoken

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

In the original version of QG1 (I've never tried it in the remake, as I'm sort of a Sierra purist), there's an on the left side of the screen in the first room of Erasmus' house. Right-clicking on it informs you that it's the "Rosella Stone", and shows a picture of Rosella from KQ4 surrounded by hieroglyphics.

Also, I'm pretty sure the name "Stefan von Spielburg" is a reference to Steven Spielberg

#27 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

QG1 (I've never tried it in the remake, as I'm sort of a Sierra purist),

the remake was made by sierra too, you know

#28 TribeHasSpoken

TribeHasSpoken

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Jonesy T. Hero @ Oct 30 2006, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QG1 (I've never tried it in the remake, as I'm sort of a Sierra purist),

the remake was made by sierra too, you know

I phrased that badly. What I meant was that I like to play the games as they originally were. If I were against fan projects, I wouldn't be a team member on one, lol

#29 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

The saurus seller is Groucho Marx. The seller not only looks like him, walks like him, and smokes a cigar like him, but his humor was clearly based on Groucho's often improvised, razor-sharp insult comedy.

Another reference to Groucho Marx is when you look at Honest Ali, the description reads 'You'd Bet Your Life you've seen this guy before'. Groucho was the host of the TV show You Bet Your Life in the 1950s. The unusual capitalization is also a reference to the show.

The clown-haired individual who goes around honking a horn in the middle of the street in QFG 2 is Harpo Marx, the mute Marx brother who often used a horn to communicate.

The map seller, Ali Chica, is Chico Marx, the fake Italian Groucho Marx. The description that reads when you click on him 'he can play a piano, but in a strange way' is a reference to Chico's skill with a piano, which he could play even while holding things like apples and even use them to play the piano.

Till next time stay cool :cool:

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users