Photo

Error 52 has been defeated (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 TheHipCat

TheHipCat

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:25 PM

Right, I did that (mount the CDROM drive), but still no narrator. Other sound effects, but no narrator.... I'll keep trying and see if something works.

What are all the steps you go through?

#17 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:01 AM

Well like I already said:

1. Start the DosBox program (and click inside it for the mouse to be activated in there)

2. Hit Alt+Enter to go to full screen mode

3. Mount C C:\ (my local drive)

4. Mount D D:\ (my cd-rom)

5. C: (enter) choosing the local drive here.

6. cd sierra\qganth (enter)

7. qg4cd or another of the Qfg games

and it starts the game and it works fine.

That's all there is to it smile.gif

By the way have you checked if Audio is selected to be On in the Control Panel of the game? (where you set the game detail and speed etc....)

Cause when the Audio is off - the rest of the sounds work and the voice doesn't.

Also try ejecting and replaying the cd in your cd-rom drive (even though that shouldn't be necesary but what you never know). And if that doesn't work you could try reinstalling the game just in case....... smile.gif

Let me know how it works smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#18 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 04:44 AM

Finally got around to installing and using the DosBox. Had trouble getting my Paladin imported ( "That is not a valid directory" ), but by importing straight from the QfG4 game, no DosBox and saving I was able to bypass that.

As soon as it started up, I noticed a bit of improvement in the sound. Started the game and fought the badders. My Paladin is also a Mage, and when I cast a lightning ball I was surprised to see it just crawl across the screen! Increasing the clock cycles with Ctrl + F12 helped a lot, and using F11 instead of F12 slowed it down when I got it to fast. I was quite ecstaic about being able to get down the slope without taking baby steps. No error! Hooray! Now to just get far enough in the game that I can get to the Monk's tomb. biggrin.gif

Edit: And yes, I am so excited that I'm jumping from one bit to the next in incomplete thoughts. Exhilirating, no? wink.gif
New email address: At gmail I am known as samurai.eskimo

------------------------------------

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#19 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:42 AM

Hehe thumbs.gif

#20 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:53 PM

HipCat...

It may help if when you mount the cd drive you mount it as a cd drive... i.e.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

You may also have to use the -label command to label the drive correctly as well so that QG4 can find it. I had to do a few such tweaks to get Hammer of the Gods working for my brother. I'd try it for QG4 but I just blew my power supply sky high Friday so I'm computerless for the moment. Check the readme for the commands and how to use them. Someone else posted some patches in a different thread as well, maybe those will work for you. I'm just going to stick with DOSBox since I've already made a bunch of batch files to make using it easier and since it can run old dos games that aren't made by sierra as well. Anyway, good luck.

#21 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:50 PM

I downloaded the Source & binary for version 0.60, but how do I run it? I don't see the executable file.

Sorry, but I'm very tired right now, so it may have slipped past me. confused.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#22 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

You re not supposed to download a source and binary - it's just an executable file that you just run and it installs the program PL smile.gif lol.gif

Just look down where it says Windows - Win32 installer and download that biggrin.gif

#23 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:05 PM

Oh drat! smash.gif

OK, I'm downloading it. I can't wait to start playing QFG 4 again, not to mention all other Sierra games as they are MEANT to be played!

Of course, in two weeks time I'll be looking out for a part time job as an accountant (or an assistant accountant), so I have to do as much brushing up on my skills and as much training with my Dad on using a computerized accounting form. Wish me luck!

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#24 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:26 PM

I got it to work, but there are some problems.

1: The sound is almost prefect, but it's too soft. I turned up my volume to max and I could still barely hear it.

2: The sound in QFG 1 VGA isn't as true as the original, I know this because whenever I got into a fight with a monster and score a hit, it would make a crunching sound. Not only is this not present, whenever my hero gets hit, he doesn't give the 'ugh' sound he did in the past.

3: It's too darn choppy! The animations aren't that smooth at all!

Any help here? Thanks.

#25 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

Sorry I really don't know what to say to you there frown.gif

The crunchy part - I think I get it too... But the voice of the Hero when he's hit is fine and I even got this dying voice when he loses the fight! Never had that before! biggrin.gif

As far as the soft part goes - well for me it's the oposite I get the loud sounds full with as much detail as there is in there! Especially in Qfg3 it's so WOW!!

Seing that there's another person that has trouble with sound here.... Id' say that it could be that your soundcards don't work with old dos programs or don't work as good with them? I really don't know what else it could be sorry frown.gif

PS: Good Luck with the Accounting part! thumbs.gif So your dad is an accountant huh? smile.gif

#26 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:14 PM

Oh yeah when it comes to the animation part!

Notice above that David mentions you can change the amount of CPU cycles in DosBox.

Try this: Once you start DosBox. Hit Ctrl+F12 to increase the CPU cycles so the program uses more CPU speed. I can't remember how much I used for Qfg1....but Qfg3 worked great with 5367 and Qfg4 was perfect with 7727 on my computer! biggrin.gif

I suggest you try the same and then experimate on your computer to see how much is good for your case smile.gif You can hit Ctrl+11 to decrease the cycles in case you accidentally reach higher than you should. And everytime you restart the program the cycles go back to 1800 which is the default smile.gif

By the way it looks like the sound performance is effected by the CPU cycles. For example in Qfg4 when you use more than you should - the sound is choppy. So it could be something to do with the CPU speed and you re having sound problems right now. Try to fix the CPU problem first and see how the sound works as well smile.gif

Hope this helps smile.gif

#27 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:59 AM

Do the above in windowed mode and use the task manager to watch your cpu usage. Increase the cycles with ctrl+f12 until it gets to around 95%. You can then hit ctrl+F8 to skip a frame which greatly reduces the processor usage. Then you can probably fit two more ctrl+f12s in there. Don't skip more than two or three frames though or it just doesn't look good.

For the sound, make sure all your playback meters in the windows mixer are at full blast. I'm not sure which one it uses, so this would be a catch-all I suppose.

For the sound skipping, try choosing a different sound card in the install. If all else fails, check the dosbox forums for similar problems. Also, if you go to their main page and click "games" you can find a list of supported games. If you click on any game people may have posted comments about game specific tweaks.

*nm about the games list, there are no comments for QG1 VGA as it should be fully supported. Still a nice trick for other games though, I needed it for KQ6.

#28 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:17 AM

PS: Good Luck with the Accounting part!  So your dad is an accountant huh? 

Uhh, no, my dad isn't an Accountant. He's an IT manager, but he knows more about accounting than most accountants!

Also, I've spoken with the Chief Accountant of my college and spoke to him in regards to my current skills. He said that "You should easily be able to get an accounting job with your skills." So I'm pretty happy with that.

Thanks for the tips on the cycling, I'll try that right now!

#29 Meth

Meth

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:42 AM

Hi all! *Waves* My first post here, although I have been reading the posts around here for a couple of weeks. I recently started playing GfG series again, used to play the game 24/7 and recently found the CD. Been going through all the games with the Thief and managed to complete the games (with the help of CPUKiller).

I got-up to the swamp today playing as a paladin and no matter how much I tried I still got the dreaded Error 52 =/
This couldnt have come at a better time for me.. Im downloading as we speak smile.gif

Thanks David, hopefully it will work *fingers crossed* smile.gif

#30 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:22 PM

Good Luck to you Meth thumbs.gif