14 replies to this topic

#1 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Version1.1 of the Quest for Glory II Remake is now live on the site and ready for download.

Warning: the new version invalidates all save games from v1.0, so please keep this in mind when upgrading.

Also, remember to uninstall the previous version of the game before installing this new version.

The new release contains the following changes:

BUGS FIXED SINCE VERSION 1.0 (SPOILERS BELOW)
-------------------------------------------------
-Fixed various in-game spelling and grammar issues.
-Fixed various Game Manual spelling and grammar issues.
-Fixed the game crashing if you pressed the up/down arrow keys while the save GUI was on-screen with no save-games listed.
-Fixed a fatal crash caused by having the sound volume slider bar set to the very bottom.
-Fixed the unintended 'Game Over' scenario when clicking any inventory item on the Shapeirian guard, Jabbar bin Ma'amar.
-Fixed the Hero running to the wrong coordinates when interacting with various alley doors.
-Fixed the icon bar disappearing when saving the game in the alley outside Aziza's house.
-Fixed an exploit in being able to boost Honor too quickly by greeting Rakeesh repeatedly.
-Fixed an exploit in being able to boost Communication too quickly by talking to the Griffin repeatedly.
-Fixed the Hero's overloaded walking speed from being reset when exiting to the Shapeir city overlook screen.
-Fixed Agi the Acrobat's speech textboxes from recurring when trying to access the icon bar.
-Fixed some tint level discrepancies when fighting as the screen is fading to night.
-Fixed a bug that caused Aziza's door text to appear on the WIT wizards' parser menu in the WIT Hall.
-Fixed a fatal crash when filling and emptying the basket with sand in the desert.
-Fixed a door in the simplified alley system from acting like a dropped lamp when interacting with it.
-Fixed a freeze-up when dying at midnight on day 16 if the game tried to auto-send the Hero back to the Inn to meet the caravan.
-Fixed an oversight where Harik wouldn't warn about not purchasing any more tails/claws if you offered him the exact amount required to reach his cap.
-Fixed the Hero getting stuck occasionally when standing from the table at the Blue Parrot Inn.
-Fixed a glitch where winning Force Bolt Flurry after nightfall caused the Hero to leave Keapon's shop before being given his prize.
-Fixed a glitch that caused the battle victory music to play when the music slider was set to the very bottom.
-Fixed being able to tell Aziza that Omar sent you before you have met him.
-Fixed the spelling of Jamil Darb for Beauty Avenue.
-Fixed Ali Fakir's speech textboxes from recurring when trying to access the icon bar.
-Fixed a glitch saying that a merchant is watching when picking an alley door's lock when the stall is vacant.
-Fixed a discrepancy with not being able to toss all of your standard daggers in combat if you have the Silver Dagger.
-Fixed being able to bring up the Restart Game menu on the title screen, character select screen, and stats assignment screen.
-Fixed a fatal crash that could occur when getting burnt during the Fire Elemental encounter.
-Fixed a bug where the "You are so exhausted everything hurts" message could appear immediately after resting or sleeping.
-Fixed sleeping at Julanar's alcove causing the Hero to clip through rocks and walls.
-Fixed a freeze-up that could occur when Issur kicked you out of his Weapons Shop.
-Fixed a fatal crash that could occur when exiting a desert screen which gave the message "Error: MoveCharacter: character not in current room".
-Fixed a freeze-up which occurred when mounting the saurus in the caged beast screen.
-Fixed a bug where placing the lamp on the alley floor captured the Fire Elemental after it had already retreated back to the Gate Plaza.
-Fixed a fatal crash that occurred when pressing CTRL-J to access the diary while mounted on the saurus.
-Fixed Shema prematurely talking about not serving tea on account of the Water Elemental on day 12.
-Fixed a bug where it was possible to start the game as a Fighter with two Broadswords.
-Fixed a bug where challenging Uhura to combat one second before nightfall caused the Hero to be sent outside, resulting in a series of graphical glitches.
-Fixed Alichica's directions to the moneychanger for the simplified alleyway system.
-Fixed a bug that allowed the compass to be turned on when the Death GUI was on screen.
-Fixed a minor text/graphical positioning glitch in a Death GUI in the Wizard's endgame ritual.
-Fixed a clipping error where it was possible to walk through the wall when exiting Issur's shop during the robbery.
-Fixed a freeze-up which could occur when simultaneously overexerting and hurting yourself to death.
-Fixed being able to look at the star constellations in the sky at daytime when they were not visible.
-Fixed text from being displayed in a borderless textbox if Zap or Reversal was cast while the mouse arrow was hovering over an alley exit.
-Fixed a bug where having Reversal or Zap active allowed the Hero to walk across the river in the Forbidden City water cave.
-Fixed a bug that allowed the icon bar to be accessed while the game was paused in the Forbidden City water cave screen,
-Fixed a bug that caused the Hero being stuck in a non-walkable area after saving and restoring in the Forbidden City water cave screen.
-Fixed an oversight where a thief with Magic gained 7 points for calming Khaveen.
-Fixed it so that it's easier to hit the candle with a dagger or rock in the thief's endgame scenario.
-Fixed it so that imported characters will now be given a Thieves' License if they have either a lock-pick or toolkit.
-Fixed it so that clicking the Walk icon from the icon bar now cancels out the last-cast spell.
-Fixed the mouse pointer from reverting to the Walk icon if F5 or F7 was pressed while the arrow pointer was hovering over an alley exit.
-Fixed a graphical glitch with the Hero's sprite that could occur if a monster made contact as the game simultaneously triggered a screen change.
-Fixed the icon bar from popping up while Levitating/climbing the Magic Rope if the options menu was open.
-Fixed it so that patrolling night guards will catch you trying to pick the locks on the Plaza doors while the guard is only partially in the screen.
-Fixed an incorrect caged beast description from appearing after the beast was dead or gone from the cage.
-Fixed a bug with stat initialization and the Communication skill at the start of the game.

-Added the ability to press the Escape key to exit Uhura's combat tutorial.
-Added some missing functionality (and a missing Death Message) for being able to turn on/off the lamp in the Forbidden City screens.
-Added the thief-only ability to toss daggers in rapid succession during battle.
-Added combat functionality so that monsters are slower to react on the "easy" difficulty level. A random 1-point damage bonus is also added to player attacks.
-Added additional enemies to the Warrior's Journal.

#2 JRinaldi

JRinaldi

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

This isn't meant to sound snarky - I am glad you've done something to make combat easier. BUT...

Are there likely to be more revisions coming out? I don't want to keep getting into it, only to have my save games invalidated by fixes to problems I find. I'd rather wait until a more stable final version has come out.

#3 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

At this point, probably not within the first few months. The game was already pretty stable to begin with and after version 1.1 came out we haven't exactly gotten a lot of additional bug reports.

#4 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Sep 14 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point, probably not within the first few months. The game was already pretty stable to begin with and after version 1.1 came out we haven't exactly gotten a lot of additional bug reports.

Yeah, my first play-through as a thief, I didn't encounter a single problem or any of the major bugs above (about the only one I remember was the minor glitches with the alley doors). Same goes for my partially-completed Wizard game.

Erpy, since I put a lot of time into my Wizard and such, is there any possible way to convert the save game over to the new version? I'm assuming it'd take a lot of programming; I'm just hesitant to start the game over with my magic user/wizard.

I am going to have to play a thief again at some point though, since it looks like knife throwing in combat will make his job a bit easier, since before he spins the dagger around for a second before he threw it every time. I remember getting pelted by brigands' daggers while I was showing off, heheh. biggrin.gif
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#5 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hmmm, no, I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, savegames store the values of all variables in the game, so when variables are added to the game, savegames become invalid. That's the way the engine works, I'm afraid. Even if AGS wouldn't automatically reject them, the fact you'd load a savegame into memory that doesn't know about the new variables in the game might result in all sort of funky stuff.

Multi-tossing daggers in combat is a fun little thing, though once your thief gets good enough you won't be using it that much anymore. Why bother burrying a whole slew of daggers in a monster's gut while one dagger in his back can get the same job done.

#6 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

Aww, oh well, at least I was only to the Fire Elemental. It's just a shame that I'll have to train my skills back up again (and I was hoping I'd never have to play Force Bolt Flurry again, heh).

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#7 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:15 AM

On a lower skill setting, it's not really that difficult as long as you know its mechanics.

#8 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Sep 15 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a lower skill setting, it's not really that difficult as long as you know its mechanics.

Yeah, that's how I learned to play it in the first place. Still, it just wasn't for me I guess heheh.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#9 Split Personality

Split Personality

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

I gotta congratulate you on some of the nice new touches to the game (from listening at doors to hear someone ranting about the Soprano's finale, to what happens in WIT if you ask for the Dark Master as your sponsor. Great work! merlin.gif

#10 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Split Personality @ Oct 8 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta congratulate you on some of the nice new touches to the game (from listening at doors to hear someone ranting about the Soprano's finale, to what happens in WIT if you ask for the Dark Master as your sponsor. Great work! merlin.gif

Heheh, the Dark Master Easter Egg is my favorite! biggrin.gif

By the way, welcome to the forums, Split! smile.gif

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#11 JRinaldi

JRinaldi

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

I honestly remember being able to ask for the dark master and getting a reply in the original. Perhaps I remember wrong. It has been ages...

#12 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (JRinaldi @ Oct 9 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly remember being able to ask for the dark master and getting a reply in the original. Perhaps I remember wrong. It has been ages...

Oh, this one is completely different... wink.gif

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#13 Split Personality

Split Personality

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, if memory serves, in the original version of the game, if you ask for "Dark Master" you just get the standard "That is not an appropriate sponsor." (ie "The programmers never gave us a unique response to that request.") It's the same response you'd get if you put in, say, Barack Obama or somebody else the designers would never have heard of back in 1990. If you go to WIT in the remake, well, let's just say the response is a little more vehement.

#14 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, despite what many people say, you couldn't ask about the dark picture in the original. Keep in mind that at the time of its release, no player would think to ask about stuff like "Dark Master" or even "Katrina" since the Dark Master wasn't mentioned until later in the game and it wasn't until QFG4 that a connection between the Dark Master and WIT was made.

Oh, and happy belated welcome Split.

#15 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the update, Erpy smile.gif

After completing the series as a Paladin (who went through Qfg2 Remake), I begun playing as a Thief, after finishing Qfg1 Remake and imported my character into Qfg2 Remake.

Even though I played a couple of days (game days). I'm going to download the latest version of the game and start over and see how it goes smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.