Photo

Error 52 has been defeated (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 07:01 AM

Update: Well, I figured out my combat sounds problem...I think it merely had to do w/ the level of detail.

I also tried the slimy, Error 52-ridden path and 1 out of 3 tries were successful:

1st try: Detail all the way up, playing at 7500 CPU cycles, crash.

2nd try: Detail all the way down, same CPU cycles, success.

3rd try: Same as 2nd try, crash.

I dunno what's up w/ this, but it seems that Elsa and I have the same system specs...maybe I need a patch or something? I have the Quest for Glory Collection installed (not the original Anthology, so even if there were patches released after the initial Anthology CD was released, I should have them, so I doubt I need to patch). I asked the question before and am curious to see if anyone here knows before I go to the DOSBox forums and post, is there a way to preset exactly the CPU Cycle rate for the emulator to use? Because I can't seem to get it exactly at the values that are listed in the help section of this website.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#47 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

Use Notepad to open your dosbox.conf file Matthias. Scroll down a few sections and there will be an option to explicitly set your CPU cycles. Change it as desired, and next time DosBox starts it will have the set cycles. smile.gif
New email address: At gmail I am known as samurai.eskimo

------------------------------------

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#48 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:22 PM

thanks Spear biggrin.gif

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#49 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:46 PM

No, thank you. I never even considered there might be a way to preset the CPU cycles until you asked. Thanks to you, I now have it at 6658 cycles. smile.gif

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#50 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 02:52 AM

I actually did something right? Interesting biggrin.gif

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#51 Sneak

Sneak

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:52 AM

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but can I ask Matthias (or anyone else) how they activated the battle sound effects? I basically went through all the same problesm as Matthias and now the combat sounds is where I'm still stuck at.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Edit: It's been a long time playing QG4 since my 386 days, but after getting pounded on by a Necrotaur, my character lets out painful grunts, but the Necrotaur makes no significant sound while getting pounded on itself. Is this right? I remember differently but I could be wrong.

Edited by Sneak, 27 June 2004 - 10:56 AM.

#52 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:53 AM

I've had this problem as well. Check your detail setting. The higher the detail the more sounds & effects, the lower the setting the less you get. smile.gif

Find QFG Import files here.

#53 unknown hero

unknown hero

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:55 AM

i got as far as killing the chonavies and geting the rutial but couldn't leave the screen
My Inner Hero - Paladin!

I'm a Paladin!

I strive to help others, and to bring truth and harmony to the world however I can. Whether times are good or bad, you can always count on me. I'm a shoulder to cry on, a champion for the helpless, and an all around nice person.

How about you? Click here to find your own inner hero.

#54 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:04 AM

Error 52 alright. angryfire.gif

Find QFG Import files here.

#55 Screeper

Screeper

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

oh my, i've just stumbled over this site.

Just registered and read this one thread. I'm so excited you have no idea.

I thought my dream of replaying the series was well and truely over but it seems there's light smile.gif smile.gif

My biggest bane of my life was that i never finished qg4 completely, it used to crash every single time i went through one of the doors.
I'm hoping that you guys will be my saving grace.

downloading dosbox as i type this with trembling hands

Cool site btw - if only i'd found this little pool of peace wink.gif earlier

/me runs around the room really fast

#56 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:45 AM

Well, now you can. So smile. smile.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#57 Screeper

Screeper

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:55 PM

For the first time in about 6 years i've heard the wolves howl at the beginning of qg4 biggrin.gif

I'm getting narration, perfect sound (even with the badders) and the animation is pretty smooth, but i'm bombing out on the slimy all the time still bawling.gif
The screen just fills with zillions of scary numbers and letters confused.gif

Also i can't set my cpu cycles in anything other than 500 increments, where you guys are saying things like set the cycles at 7727 etc.. min goes up in like 5000, 5500, 6000, 6500, etc..
what have i missed there?

I'm a real n00b at this sorta thing so pls don't give me a real technical answer (if you have any of course) cos i'll definately mess it up rolleyes.gif

#58 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:41 PM

To change the cycles manually you edit this section of the dosbox.conf file:

core=normal
cycles=2500
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

just set cycles=2500 to whatever you want.

As for the path, "zillions of scary letters and numbers" is a new one for me, but I'll go with the same old suggestions. Try setting detail all the way down and keep your cycles relatively low. I'm sure others will have more suggestions coming up so keep the faith!

Also, a fan has made some patches for old sierra games that might work for you. Since dosbox is a cure-all (for me, sorry!) and I have so many old dos games it's really all I use so I can't tell you where to find them, but I'm sure someone else can or you can try digging around. Good luck!

#59 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:24 AM

The screen just fills with zillions of scary numbers and letters

Whoa, don't worry man, I've had the same thing happen to me. It happens sometimes with the slimy path error. Usually you get that error when you just click straight to the bottom of the path while you're standing at the top ( I did this once in DosBox w/o getting the error, but only once ). So just do the basic get around for this error Screeper: Take baby steps. Have the hero walk a few steps at a time by clicking the walk icon about a hero's width ahead of him. It takes time, but it'll get you past, no error. smile.gif

And a bit of info for David and others who might be wondering: About the "zillions of scary numbers and letters". When I get the slimy path error, the screen will freeze, and then turn blue, like a Windows GPF. It flashes a bunch of hexadecimal values by really fast, then exits out with the error. Since some systems are really fast, perhaps the reason you've never seen it before is that your systems process through the hex so quickly that you never get a chance to see it. But to me, all those numbers and letters are synonymous with the slimy path. smile.gif

And we all can share your feelings of excitement Screeper. Instead of having to find an old junker that might day on you any day, you can now play these classic games on your modern computer. Hip hip hooray! smile.gif beerchug.gif lol2.gif

My Inner Hero - Paladin

#60 Screeper

Screeper

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 07:52 AM

weeee biggrin.gif
Thnx Spearflight: it worked, i was just clicking at the bottom of the path all the time, by just making him walk little sections at a time i got to the bottom with no problem and then realised that i hadn't been breathing the whole time - lol almost passed out sitting at my computer smile.gif

And david, yes smile.gif now i can adjust my cycles more accurately, thank u.

When i loaded up the game earlier i was thinking that i'd really battle to remember what to do and stuff but its amazing how it all floods back to you as you move from screen to screen.
The voice over and sfx are much louder than the music but i can live with that no prob biggrin.gif

I'm gonna not look at the hints and walkthru section on this top-notch website so the game will last me as long as possible, cos i've never been any further than getting to the "monster slamming door in face bit" so its all rather exciting