• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SierraFan1981

SierraFan1981

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:The Arts, Psychology, "Useless Trivia, Supernatural/Paranormal, Movies, classic PC Games

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

I'm playing through WoW with my jack of all fighter, and I'm wondering if anyone found anywhere to practice/max climbing?

I imported with lock picking and climbing at 250, but I decided to give the 50 to lock picking since I know it's unpracticable unless your a pure thief.
The Procestuousity begins here!

#2 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

It's been a while, but I think you can max climbing in the Simbani village. Go to the wrestling bridge area. Don't climb on it, but instead try to grab it, that is, try to go from one end to the other by hanging and swinging yourself under the bridge.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#3 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

I never really worried about climbing in QG2 or 3 since it's pretty easy to max it quickly in QG4 anyway.

I think that I have gotten a boost from practicing on the Simbani bridge though, as Darian pointed out. I think you have to do it before Uhura explains bridge wrestling though.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#4 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

I think that I have gotten a boost from practicing on the Simbani bridge though, as Darian pointed out. I think you have to do it before Uhura explains bridge wrestling though.

I'm pretty sure you actually don't. Someone might wanna check that though, but what triggers a wrestling bridge duel is climbing on it. But if you just swing from the bottom of it it's different. And I'm pretty sure that once you have beaten Uhura enough times it doesn't really matter anyway.

Climbing isn't really a necessary skill for this game, but some of us like to max out the characters.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#5 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hey y'all,
Climbing and then going hand over hand underneath the wrestling bridge builds your Strength skill, but not Climbing.
When on top of the wrestling bridge, you mainly gain Agility skill points.
The wrestling bridge does not seem to help build climbing skill no matter which way you use it.
I'm not sure that there is a way to work on Climbing in QFG3.

#6 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

I'm one of those guys who likes a maxed out character. Though the problem in QFG 2 and 3 is that it really was very hard to max out since there were very few places to train on to begin with. In QFG 2, there was griffen cliff, but it only got you to a certain point before saying 'no way, it's too dangerous' and it would not allow you to continue. Heck there wasn't even that much need for climbing anyways and all of it was done using the rope, which I didn't think was demanding at all. In QFG 3... well, QFG 3 was a nice game, it was pretty rushed and felt a lot more disorganized than most of the other games (people called it the most linear of the games, but that was because all of the 'other' dialogue trees that were there could only be uncovered by people who were insisting on exhausting every single option, and it involved a LOT of game time and going back and forth from the Simbani village to the city, and from day to night, etc, etc.), and climbing was only really needed there one by most classes.

It is worth noting that the first time the fighter used the climbing skill in a fighter-exclusive location was the inititation contest that had you climb a tree to make the smartest move (ironically, due to a bug in the game, if you went with the throwing spears methods, you'd get the points even if it was the wrong thing and people would claim you did the tree method later! smash.gif confused.gif )

QFG 4 had maxable everything and so did QFG 5. At least they didn't let us down there. tongue.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#7 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

I never noticed the part about the fact that if you choose to throw spears instead of climbing the tree in the fighter initiation, that later there were references to climbing the tree anyway. I guess like you mentioned, if the game was rushed, there are going to be mistakes.

It's too bad they didn't make a way to build up the climbing skill, because it would certainly be nice to be able to climb the tree during the initiation on the first try. I suppose though that since there are not really many places in the game where climbing is needed, it was not something that was considered.

I too like to try to max out my characters so this has driven me nuts. Thankfully this was not an issue throughout the series, or I would be completely insane instead of just partially mad. spin2.gif

#8 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

I never noticed the part about the fact that if you choose to throw spears instead of climbing the tree in the fighter initiation, that later there were references to climbing the tree anyway. I guess like you mentioned, if the game was rushed, there are going to be mistakes.

It has been quite a while since I played the series. Last semester was such a busy one for me that I did nothing but study (and still not get that specular a grade. frown.gif ), so I'm not entirely sure about it anymore. I have been playing Sierra games lately, primarily Space Quest though, I finished SQ 2, 3, and 5 in recent days, and even had my go on the Lost Chapter (though some parts about it just frustrated me and I quit for the time being). I hope to play QFG again the whole way, but I'll probably be playing QFG 2 VGA more since I have yet to fully explore the entire game yet.

It's too bad they didn't make a way to build up the climbing skill, because it would certainly be nice to be able to climb the tree during the initiation on the first try. I suppose though that since there are not really many places in the game where climbing is needed, it was not something that was considered.

Well in QFG 2 VGA, they solved that problem by allowing the player to climb the palm tree in the oasis, so that problem is solved. Throwing rocks is also a good way to get throwing skill up, but it took much longer than normal in the original, which is why I rarely bothered unless I wanted it to be enough to get stuff into the air elemental.

I too like to try to max out my characters so this has driven me nuts. Thankfully this was not an issue throughout the series, or I would be completely insane instead of just partially mad. spin2.gif

Hehe, it's more of an oversight in most cases, but I wouldn't go nuts over it if I went it would be more trouble than it's worth. That's the good thing about QFG 5, where, other than intelligence, many skills can be mastered even on the first day... even if I had to stay till mid-night of that day.

At any way, I do consider skill maxing to be a tedious part (seriously, it took an eternity in QFG 2, VGA and EGA, to master all the skills if you're a jack of all trades, or even just one!) so I use Game wizard to get around the problem by locking the skill points in place at the very beginning, so I can have them maxed up at the very start. Yes I know that I can go far overboard (even once raising my strength to 6000 in QFG 1) but the problem with that is, the game continues to make calculations for raising skills even if you're at 100, so if you have anything over that, it can bring it down to 100 again... even in QFG 2, when you wish for more stuff from the Genie, and the game makes a calculation before the game is over, it will reset back to 200.

Edited by Paladinlover, 03 January 2009 - 04:43 AM.

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#9 mira

mira

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

Pity there isn't any place where we can practice climbing in this game. The game should let us climb the trees in the savanna or the jungle.In Shadows of Darkness,at every screen of the forest there is a tree or two that we can practice climbing.

#10 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:59 AM

I completely agree. It's too bad they didn't include those opportunities in the game.

#11 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Pity there isn't any place where we can practice climbing in this game. The game should let us climb the trees in the savanna or the jungle.In Shadows of Darkness,at every screen of the forest there is a tree or two that we can practice climbing.

Climbing wasn't too terribly useful in this game and there were hardly any places to climb to begin with. Though I agree that giving the ability to practice climbing on the trees in the Savanna would not have been too much of a hassle. I guess they didn't want to go through the hassle.

The only other problem is the sheer cost of the magic pills for practice. The pills there were probably more expensive than any other game (and cash the most scarce). That made magic practice very difficult.

#12 mira

mira

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Paladinlover @ Feb 11 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only other problem is the sheer cost of the magic pills for practice. The pills there were probably more expensive than any other game (and cash the most scarce). That made magic practice very difficult.

The pills are way cheaper in Trial by Fire.Stock on them before you journey to Rasier!I never tried this before but they say the Giant Tree can restore all your MP.

#13 Peter Paladin

Peter Paladin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Matthias @ Sep 4 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never really worried about climbing in QG2 or 3 since it's pretty easy to max it quickly in QG4 anyway.

I agree with this, in QG 2 or 3, unless you're a thief, climbing isn't necessary, and once you are able to climb the grappling hook/rope in the guild during practice in QG IV, you're all set!
I call that a bargain, the best I ever had...

#14 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

The pills are way cheaper in Trial by Fire.Stock on them before you journey to Rasier!I never tried this before but they say the Giant Tree can restore all your MP.

That's what I would do. Not only are they cheaper, but cash is much more plentiful since even after you got all the scorpion tails and ghoul's claws you can handle, the brigands and jackalmen never stop giving. Also don't forget the 100 dinar reward you get a few days before you leave. Truth is, you only need a touch of cash once in Raseir, to pay Ugarte and possibly buy some coffee and sling from the bartender (gotta sample some local delicacies after all). There is the issue, of course, of the unpaid inn-bill, but you know what? Those dudes probably wrote you off as dead and you shouldn't care. biggrin.gif

#15 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:56 AM

This is why I always practiced magic in the jungle near the Heart of the World. I'd drain my mana points, walk up to the garden at the top of the tree, then go back into the jungle again. (as even merely entering the garden restores your hp/sp/mp to the max) Yeah, it's tedious to climb up and down the tree, but it's less tedious than hunting for cash to spend on mana pills.

At any way, I do consider skill maxing to be a tedious part (seriously, it took an eternity in QFG 2, VGA and EGA, to master all the skills if you're a jack of all trades, or even just one!)

This is why I personally always play with pure characters. Jacks of all trades simply cross the line with me between grinding and tedious grinding. I never bother maxing spells that don't give much of an advantage either. I never cheat though as part of the experience for me is developing the character through my own actions.

Edited by Erpy, 30 March 2009 - 06:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users