243 replies to this topic

#16 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 04:21 PM

It's great that the novel is moving forward. Have you got a publisher in mind? Will they look at it without you going through an agent? I hope it all goes very, very smoothly.
...bruiseless breath / Frosts the sweet solemnity of star-embracing night,
Purpled, music loud as silence; Is this dreaming death?

Sounds Sublime... Because Music Ought to be a Banquet for the Senses...

#17 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:35 AM

Oh, and PL.... Shut up about that... We've been through this already at the VUBoards....  smile.gif

::locks mouth with zipper:: biggrin.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#18 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:46 PM

Lori and I are going to go the most cautious route and approach publishers through an agent. If I don't happen to find one through my screenwriting contacts, or Lori through her contacts in the world of fantasy/SF, we'll find one the old fashioned way (by making a list of the most likely and attractive candidates and sending out some query letters).

It's going to be a while before you guys have this book in your hands, but never fear! We're going to have a website up soon (just as soon as we can find a good designer).

I'm sorry for any of you whose emails I didn't respond to way back when. Please understand that I work two jobs and also go to school part-time as well as collaborating with Lori on this novel. Sometimes my life gets a little hectic and things fall through the cracks. Aol automatically deletes old emails after a certain period, and there have been months at a time when I was unable to check email at all, such as this spring when I was forced to move rather suddenly, right after returning home from an out of town trip to attend a funeral. There was a period when even Lori didn't hear from me.

I am however, checking my email daily now at MishellBaker at aol dot com. I may not respond the same day, but certainly will within the week.

As far as a web site designer, we need someone who knows how to do extremely complicated things. Such as set up a "test" that people can take online and have it calculate the score and assign them a certain category (think Sorting Hat). If you know anyone who can do this (and make it look great!) please contact me!

-M.B. book.gif

Discover your inner hero at HowtoBeaHero.com

#19 Brassfire

Brassfire

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:41 PM

Ah. More understandable then.

You need database stuff, very complicated? If it's going to be that complicated, are you ok with the designer creating it from a basis of opensource code? There are some very stable php/mysql scripts that may already be built that do what you need... so if you use opensource it's just a matter of making the site *look* right and customizing some of the code.

Also, if you need it that complicated, what's your budget? Using opensource will definitely reduce costs as it's a matter of tweaking instead of writing from scratch, but it's still fiddly work. gmorning.gif gmorning.gif gmorning.gif
~Brassfire the Mage~
Score tied for Paladin and Wizard. But truly a Bard at heart!

"The relationship between beans and cultural renaissance is crucial." - Umberto Eco

#20 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:52 PM

I'm fine with using opensource code as long as we can make things look nifty. I want to keep costs down as much as possible until the book actually comes out and starts making us rich.

However, this is not a "no-budget" project. My goal is actually to reinvest all of my writing profits this year, and this particular project is probably where I'm going to dump a good portion of it. Why don't you email me and we can talk about it? I've never created a website like this before so I'll need some guidance.

-M.B.

#21 Brassfire

Brassfire

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:06 AM

Great, will do.
~Brassfire the Mage~
Score tied for Paladin and Wizard. But truly a Bard at heart!

"The relationship between beans and cultural renaissance is crucial." - Umberto Eco

#22 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:59 PM

Hey there folks.

I almost hate to bring this up, but I am curious. The QFG Novels will be written for a general audience, because the whole reason I approached Lori with this project is that I wanted to share her characters and stories with a much wider audience than the game reached (think the entire mass of young adults who have graduated from Harry Potter!).

So part of the test reading process was to introduce the book to people who have never played QFG or know anything about it. And one thing we found is that the non-QFG players were disturbed by the use of the name "Spielburg." Every single one of them thought it was a reference to Steven Spielberg and said they didn't "get" the "joke." Even a British guy was bothered by it. By its very nature, the book does not contain as many pop culture references as the game... we've tried to keep it in a fairly consistent setting (15th century or so).

Now, seeing as how the town is no longer a "game burg" anyway (the source of the odd name), Lori and I thought it would be best not to perplex and disturb thousands of people (possibly including Steven himself). So we have tentatively changed the name of the town to Siegburg ("victory burg"). That was Lori's choice out of several suggestions I came up with, so it's as close to legit as it could be without actually being Spielburg.

The other reason not to use the name "Spielburg" is, in the context of the medieval world, why would it be called that? At first I invented some bizarre backstory about a series of annual Olympic-like games that had been held there long in the past, but it just didn't fly. The rule of novel writing is keep it simple unless there's a good reason not to. Don't invent things that have to be explained by convoluted means, especially if they don't really add anything to the story.

Now before you blast me with Flame Darts, please really think about what I'm saying. Think about why the town was called what it was in the first place. Think about the possibilities of a novel series that will be successful enough to continue selling. It can't sell only to QFG fans if we want to be able to finish the series. After all, if it only sells to the people on this message board, we won't get to write a 2nd one!

Could you be happy with a charming but dilapidated Alpine town that is populated with people like Shameen and Shema, the Sheriff and Otto, Zara and Damiano, and a greatly expanded and intriguing Bruno... but is called Siegburg instead of Spielburg?

I do want to hear your opinions. I certainly don't want to do anything that is a true affront to our handful of remaining loyal fans. If anyone has better suggestions for a replacement name, let me know. But again, keep in mind that this novel series is about keeping the spirit of QFG alive and thriving in the future, not just about being nostalgic for the past.

Also keep in mind that if we don't get rights from Sierra/Vivendi, we may have to change ALL the names.

-M.B. book.gif

#23 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:20 PM

So part of the test reading process was to introduce the book to people who have never played QFG or know anything about it. And one thing we found is that the non-QFG players were disturbed by the use of the name "Spielburg." Every single one of them thought it was a reference to Steven Spielberg and said they didn't "get" the "joke." Even a British guy was bothered by it. By its very nature, the book does not contain as many pop culture references as the game... we've tried to keep it in a fairly consistent setting (15th century or so).

Yeah, I even thought it was a reference too.

But after a while, I realised one very important, and very humorous fact... Spielburg literally means 'game castle' or 'game town' in German.

That was the whole joke, but unfortunately, most non-German speakers won't get it, and almost everyone will think it's a reference to Steven Spielburg.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#24 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:51 AM

Hrmmm.... I like that idea. It's not bad. thumbs.gif
New email address: At gmail I am known as samurai.eskimo

------------------------------------

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#25 Mikkel

Mikkel

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:49 AM

As long as it does not interfere with the general mood and plot of the QfG universe, I say go for it - we know what the city was supposed to be called after all (Hmm, I guess that that qualifies as "insider knowledge" - cool lol.gif).

BTW: Has there been any talks of how is going to do the cover artwork (if any), and if so, could we be told?/be given a sneak peak and/or a link to said persons theoretical webgallery?
"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry."
- Bertrand Russell "Study of Mathematics"

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

World Community Grid - technology solving problems

#26 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:26 PM

Well personally I don't like the idea of changing the Spielburg (which when I first read I thought about Steven Spielberg by the way lol.gif ) to Siegburg.

Now excuse me for my poor English but in most of the books that I've read in my language (Greek) some specific words had small asterisks on their top, indicating that there's farther explanation on that word at the Glosary (they call it? ) at the end of the book. So my thought is, why don't you put a glosary (or whatever they call it lol.gif ) at the end of the book (and an asterisk or something indicating there's farther explanation on the word Spielburg once the people first read the word) so when people go to that place they can read the true meaning of the word Spielburg and understand why it's there and what it represents? smile.gif

Just a thought.

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#27 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

Of course, then the book will have a Dune feeling to it too <grin>

Mishell, I support the name change. Of course, I still don't support Elsa's name change, but character names are more important than setting names, in my opinion. smile.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#28 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

Hey Elsa (and any others who are concerned):

Is there anything you don't like about the name Siegburg other than the fact that it's different from the original?

Trust me when I say I'm a HUGE fan of the games. In fact, that's why I approached Lori about making them into novels. I've been obsessed with Quest for Glory for fifteen years. It has quite literally changed my life.

But above all else, I am a writer. I've been obsessed with writing fiction for even longer than I've been obsessed with QFG. My number one objective is, with Lori, to write a good series of novels that feature the adventures of [you'll find out more about the main character soon enough], Erasmus and Fenrus, Bruno, Erana, Katrina, Shameen, Shema, Rakeesh, Ad Avis... all your favorites. Novels that any older Harry Potter fan will read and recommend to all their friends who are not QFG fans. Because the more money we make, and the more fan support we have, the more likely these things are to get made into movies, and into new and amazing computer games.

So with that in mind, some things HAVE to be changed. Anything that doesn't fit into the organic, balanced structure of a good novel, for example, has to be altered or removed. We've expanded on some things GREATLY (i.e. Bruno, the Healer, the kobold, the dryad, Heinrich Pferdefedern... and you won't BELIEVE what we've done with the fox!). But some things have had to fall by the wayside. There are no meeps. No Spore Spitting Spirea. No Antwerp.

I wish we could have fit everything in. We tried to do a Spore Spitting Spirea scene, but it got cut because we were way too high on word count and it just didn't add much to the overall flow of the plot. Plotting a novel is very, very difficult. In some ways though, it frees us to be more creative. The kobold doesn't have to stick to one screen. He can wander through town wreaking havoc and setting buildings on fire. Doesn't that sound like fun?

So changing a few names will be the least of the things that disappoint fans who want everything exactly the same. Spielburg won't be the only name that's changed... we have to alter any pop culture references, as well as any character names that readers (without the aid of visuals) might confuse with one another. And if we don't get the rights from Sierra, as I mentioned before, EVERY character and place name will have to be changed.

The goal is to get these books out there. Because they will make Lori rich and powerful... and what do you think she's going to do with all her money? Create more wonderful worlds for you, of course!

Also, Lori and I are already plotting novels that go BEYOND QFG 1-5. There will be three additional novels featuring the characters you know and love, and then there will be a "next generation" type series as well about the kids. Trust me when I say, you WANT these novels to be successful and make lots of money. smile.gif

-M.B. book.gif

P.S. Elsa -- take comfort in the fact that you will now and forever be the one, the only, Elsa von Spielburg. I think Lori would be happy to officially "copyright" the title to you. biggrin.gif

#29 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:12 PM

Oriiiiiiooooon...

Are you ever going to authorize me on ICQ, ya goof? If you're on now, drop me a line so I can talk to you briefly.

-M.B. book.gif

#30 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:54 PM

Just auth-ed ya. smile.gif Sorry... I haven't been on as much smile.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png