Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:58 PM

That's right! Vivendi just shut down Sierra for good! frown.gif

Read the article right here: http://clan.darkened...=fullnews&id=14

I wonder what will happen to the Qfg games now confused.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

What a way to go. After all those years, a childhood full of fond memories of Sierra online games and fanfiction writing. I really feel bad that it's now gone... forever crying2.gif

Sierra may have been put to an end, but I have no doubts that it will never truely die. As long as we remember it in our hearts, and as long as we still continue to talk about it and cherish it, it will never, ever be dead.

As for the rights, all I can say is this: The rights will no longer matter to them, I'm sure that one day we can find a way to purchase them and use them to continue to make Fanmade games... or even given to their creators to have professional ones made.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#3 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:20 PM

I literally feel like crying over a lost friend... bawling.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#4 Nocturnus

Nocturnus

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:21 AM

Sierra will live on as part of VUG as little more than a brand name. Given the amount of looks to me to be "boardroom designed" titles released under said brand name, I am not at all surprised to see this - if anything it was just the final step in a process that had begun long ago. HW2 and GC2 were both pretty much "made by comittee" games, much to the dissapointment of the real fans. HW2 seemed really watered down and, dare I say it, average. GC2, from what I've seen and heard, will probably be more of the same, although time will tell (It's not yet released).

:: goes back to his rock to hide under ::

#5 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:35 PM

I guess I'm just going to have to get rich and buy Sierra. This is just another reason to hate the French.

An interesting notion that can be dismissed at your heart's content; it wasn't Vivendi who shut down Sierra, but the company's games devision; Vivendi Universal Games, which has its HQ in...LA, California. So, are we going to hate the Californians, the Americans in general or are we just going to hate the French anyway?

Sierra will live on as part of VUG as little more than a brand name. Given the amount of looks to me to be "boardroom designed" titles released under said brand name, I am not at all surprised to see this - if anything it was just the final step in a process that had begun long ago. HW2 and GC2 were both pretty much "made by comittee" games, much to the dissapointment of the real fans. HW2 seemed really watered down and, dare I say it, average. GC2, from what I've seen and heard, will probably be more of the same, although time will tell (It's not yet released).

I believe Sierra was already more or less a brand name. How many titles did the Sierra office put out themselves lately? LSL8 is being developed by another company and the same was true for the SQ7 project by Escape Factory. These projects will most likely be published under the Sierra name, whether there's still people in that office building in Bellevue or not. And if continuations to any of the classics were to be made, they'd probably be developed by an outside company and published under the Sierra name as well. So while this move is indeed tragic from a historical point of view and while I also feel sorry for those who lost their jobs, I don't think there's anything else that has really changed.

Edited by Erpy, 24 June 2004 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Avoozl

Avoozl

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:27 AM

Hey! I was born in California! And you know what? Now that Sierra's gone I can make a QFG6! I had already started anyway... I'm not saying that having Sierra gone is a good thing...believe me I was shocked. I have no REAL memories of Sierra's good moments and bad moments since I'm only 15.

#7 Gema Meldine

Gema Meldine

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:55 AM

crying2.gif *sobs, cries* crying2.gif

No! So unfair!

*shniffles*
user posted image

"Help the world and in so doing help yourself, for that is our way..." - Gema

My Inner Hero - Rogue!

I'm a Rogue!

It's a good thing I use my powers for good and not evil, because quite frankly, I could get away with murder. I'm clever, tricky, and charming. I know how to make you laugh with one hand and pick your pocket with the other. Not that I'd ever DO that, of course...

#8 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:41 AM

And you know what? Now that Sierra's gone I can make a QFG6! I had already started anyway...

Just for the reference...the current layoff had no effect on the intellectual property that was owned by Sierra. VU owned the IP before and still does now, so if you felt it was unsafe to do a QFG6 before, it's still unsafe to do so now. In fact, I'm not even sure if Sierra even had its own legal department before it was shut down.

#9 Gema Meldine

Gema Meldine

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:01 AM

I don't hate the french, I hate the french language. Stupid...pompous sounding...grr!

I mean where to they get off spelling a word one way and not pronouncing it how it's spelled??? What is up with that?? It's just wrong I tell you! Wrong!

*starts crying again*
user posted image

My Inner Hero - Rogue!

I'm a Rogue!

It's a good thing I use my powers for good and not evil, because quite frankly, I could get away with murder. I'm clever, tricky, and charming. I know how to make you laugh with one hand and pick your pocket with the other. Not that I'd ever DO that, of course...

#10 Korath

Korath

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Gema Meldine @ Jun 25 2004, 07:18 AM)
I don't hate the french, I hate the french language. Stupid...pompous sounding...grr!

I mean where to they get off spelling a word one way and not pronouncing it how it's spelled??? What is up with that?? It's just wrong I tell you! Wrong!

*starts crying again*

So you mean like how "Colonel" is pronounced "Curnal" and "read" can be pronounced as "red" or "reed"? smile.gif

#11 Gema Meldine

Gema Meldine

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

well yeah, except for the word "Read"....cause if you know the english language and everything it makes sense that it could be pronounced both ways.

But I mean like the the word "Oui" which is pronounced "We"....it's just weird for someone who's first language is English where "Ou" isn't pronounced with a "W" sound.

and how the word "Petite" is pronounced "Petee"

I never took a french class but I was in choir where we had to sing french songs so we had to learn how to pronounce stuff...and when your dyslexic i'm telling you the french language is horrible.
user posted image

My Inner Hero - Rogue!

I'm a Rogue!

#12 Maiandra

Maiandra

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:29 PM

...and if you know the French language, then the pronouciation of its words makes sense as well. It just depends on your perspective. Generally, the pronouciation in other languages is going to be different than in English, which I'm sure is frustrating for speakers of other languages to learn.

Anyway, back to the topic. It is indeed sad news that Sierra is officially shut down and always a sad thing when people have to lose their jobs. frown.gif I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.

Edited by Maiandra, 25 June 2004 - 11:34 PM.

#13 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

I think I am fairly qualified in saying that I don't like the French... but that's because I spent most of a summer in France a couple years ago, and didn't really like them... a lot of pompous attitude and stuff, acting like they're better. Hmmm, then again that's the same reason I don't like a lot of Americans either.... maybe I should become a hermit?

But yes, the actual burial of Sierra is a sad sight, but one which has been impatiently awaited for quite a while. It's been like an open casket funeral until now. Good that they've FINALLY buried it, rather than having everyone waiting.

And while we're on languages, I like German. Lots and lots of cognates. biggrin.gif
New email address: At gmail I am known as samurai.eskimo

------------------------------------

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#14 Gema Meldine

Gema Meldine

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:44 AM

I like Japanese! Japanese is fun biggrin.gif Lots and lots of Vowels!

That and Elvish, also very fun smile.gif

I like to think that Sierra wasn't that dead yet, it wasn't like they hadn't done anything. Afterall didn't they help make Half-life?? That was a really good game.
user posted image

My Inner Hero - Rogue!

I'm a Rogue!

#15 Maiandra

Maiandra

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:47 AM

I lived with someone from France last year and we got along very well. We still keep in touch. I've met other people from there over the last couple years and they seemed quite friendly. As I said on the QfG board, I don't think you can just make generalisations about people based on their nationality. I'm sure there are nice people and unpleasant people in every country of the world.

(I just realised I horribly overused the word "nice", so I had to get rid of a couple instances of it. wink.gif )

Edited by Maiandra, 26 June 2004 - 03:11 AM.