115 replies to this topic

#31 Striker

Striker

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:16 AM

I first played Quest for Glory in 1994, when I found it in a bargain bin at a computer store. It was probably one of the best games I had played to that date. Even now, that game is still one of my all time favorites. And although I probably have nowhere near the fanaticism for the game that some of the people here have, I definitely would get and read a book based on the series by the original creator. It was that much fun smile.gif
The red scarf means I'm stealthy.

#32 Klausse

Klausse

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:30 AM

First of all I would like to thank you for considering the novel written on the QfG series.

For any of QfG fans, to see a QfG book would be the best present we could imagine in years!

I felt involed into the atmosphere of the QfG from the very first screen, from the very moment of the Hero stepping through the town gates of Spielburg. I've been living in Gloriana since November 6, 1999.

The wonderful combination of adventuring, humor, music, puzzles and battles makes QfG a really unique game. Each game of the series has its own atmosphere and its own colors so to speak, but they all fit each other perfectly, making together a great story.

The desire to find other QfG people was the main reason for me to get the Internet access, and I'm very happy I found them smile.gif

I would really anticipate the appearance of the book in the shops, though have strong suspicions it would take quite long for it to reach Russia.

Thank you again and hope to see the book published
user posted image

#33 hoopyfroodcat

hoopyfroodcat

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:08 AM

Hello,

Quest for Glory is much more than a video game - it is an interactive story that has inspired a legion of fans and many a fan-fiction. Part of the series' appeal is the open-ended nature. Since an entire world of Gloriana "exists" to be explored, there is the potential for countless stories to be told in that familiar and charming setting. I look forward to reading novels based in this world. Thank you for considering such a novel, and be assured that I and many other fans are ready to rush to the nearest bookstore for another tale from our favorite land.

-hoopyfroodcat
"Look, I'm up to here with cool, okay? I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

"Men must endure / Their going hence, even as their coming hither; / Ripeness is all." - Shakespeare, King Lear, (V.ii.9-11)

Visit The Quest for Glory Project - a fanfiction community
Real Heroes read HERO magazine!

#34 vesselinpeev

vesselinpeev

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 02:14 AM

Hello,

thumbs.gif
The "Quest for Glory" series has enhanced the real-life characters of many people worldwide because what they have been trying to emulate since the inception of the game series, is so wonderful and so worthwhile: becoming a true hero.
To become a true hero is never easy. But in order to achieve progress in life, all of us have to become heroes. Humans like progress, real progress, and it is only fitting that stories such as the Coles' one gets promoted to inspire even more people.

Personally, I have been a bit suprised by heart-warming stories about "Quest for Glory" and how it enriched people's lives. Only now did I realize that subconsciously, I've been striving to lead a hero's live in a large part thanks to "Quest for Glory". It has taught me to:

--not agree with and support people of low moral character in their activities
--be perfectly logical and never rely on emotions, but also be very warm and emotional whenever possible
--exercise my imagination and apply it to real life problems on a daily basis, discovering ideas which are impossible to discover without such practice, and finding solutions that are impossible to find otherwise.
--do away with negative thoughts and a lifestyle that is accepted and even approved by most people but which leads to decadence
--be polite and kind to any man -- be him/she the most poor and the most unfortunate in life
--always trying to help people by telling them the right word and pointing them in the right direction
--not judge people in the sense of condemning them, but to practice loving discernment
--seach for information that is lost, forgotten or suppressed, but which has great, presently unrecognized value
--never rely on third parties as the sole source of information; always checking things myself firsthand
--try to make sense of illogical events and eventually find logic in them thanks to perseverance and gradually starting to see the higher order and picture of things
--be brave in what I do
--trying to find and meet unusual people worldwide, which have great ideas and abilities which are unrecognized at large, but which hold great benefit when implemented in one's own life and followed consistently

Following the above is hard. But it is not unbearable. It becomes easier the more I try to follow it. And the benefit is worth it. Eventually, life becomes easier and happier.

If you, as a publisher, do not give a chance to the publication of this first book, do you think that you'd find, right now, anything better to publish? I have not read the manuscript, but as it most likely comes from the same type of well-inspired people whose life was and still is positively influenced by the game series, I am sure you cannot go wrong at this point if you choose to give the book a go.

The richer-than-average stories of "Quest for Glory" are indeed uncommon for computer games and a book would be a wonderful accompaniment and a logical next step for the development of the story. Perhaps one day the book can be turned into a computer game, too, teaching people from the youngest generation the same great values that appealed to people from our generation and same great values that have appealed to people since time immemorial and are going to appeal to people in the future.

Should you have any more questions regarding "Quest for Glory" and its positive influence on my life, I can be contacted at vesselinpeev@hotmail.com if ever the needs arises. I also very much want to get personal e-mail from the other participants on this forum, if they ever need to discuss the impact games or books of worth have on people, transforming them into fuller and better human beings.

So get the book out!

Thank you.

-Vesselin Peev (Vesko)

P.S.
I am from Bulgaria, a country in Europe. I have played all the games in the series. I have many friends which have played the series and cherish it in their hearts. They will be sure to get the book, too.

#35 Torin Darkfade

Torin Darkfade

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:43 AM

I have to agree with what all the others have said. Quest for Glory was a powerful wave in its time, and it still lives on in so many's hearts, people just won't let it go, and we would all love to see it spread throughout the populace with the same intensity as the Harry Potter books.

The games themselves inspired me to start writing... that is, when I grew too old to run around with my "magical staff" and toy swords fighting invisible dragons and evil wizards.

I'm only 14 now and I must have been sucked into Quest for Glory more than four years ago. I can only say this would be a great investment. I'd love to see kids everywhere carrying around the latest Quest for Glory novel, talking excitedly over characters and events I know so well.

In short, I think the books will sell. I'd certainly buy every one of them. Most of my eleven syblings would be reading them too. All I can say is, join the cause! Help bring back to life what has been living only in our minds and hearts for so long!

Eternally grateful for just your interest,
Torin

#36 Zekorgah

Zekorgah

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:44 AM

To my taste, the Quest for Glory series is the best set of computer games ever. The combination of a great story and a world which allows you, with incredible freedom, to watch your character literally grow creates the best gaming experience I've ever had. I would love to see the novel based on this series.

best,

-E r i c

#37 Guest_danielinthewolvesden_*

Guest_danielinthewolvesden_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:56 AM

Well, I am a big fan or QFG, and also of Children's fantasy as a genre- despite my somewhat "advanced" years jestera.gif , I still read and enjoy children's fantasy, from Dame E. nesbit to Harry Potter. It is with joy I saw I new team enter this market, and my privilege to help test read the "beta" vesion of the book. I was pleased and think it is a worthy addition to the genre.

The games themselves i remember fondly, as possibly the most fun & (dare I say it?) most actual "roleplaying" in that segment of the industry. They satnd alone (well, maybe with Monkey Island) as something beyond "kill the monster, get the treasure" games.

Where ever I go, at Worldcon, Baycon, etc- I find folks who remember the QFG series and have already forgotten their last "hack & slash" game.

This book has a ready made market in the many, many QFG fans out there- and their kids- and the millions of parents who don't know from children's fantasy, but their kid is done with Harry Potter and is wanting MORE! wave1.gif Few "first" books can claim that market share- unless they are maybe written by the wife of an ex-president, that is! merlin.gif

#38 avatar_58

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:18 AM

I just heard about this from Ken Williams' webpage. I think publishing a Quest for Glory novel would be great! I have loved the quest for glory series since I first played the first one. If you were to publish such a great game as a novel....you would get tons of people running out immediately to buy a copy. There are tons of fans, including myself, who would jump at the chance to read about the hero's adventures in novel form. It even gives the series an interesting turn.....if 5 books are released based on the games, that would mean that the series could continue into a whole new adventure! Perhaps with the hero's son.....or maybe a friend....the whole idea could spiral into a great line of literature based on the world of Quest for Glory! I have to say that I would definately get a copy of this book!

#39 Reven

Reven

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:14 AM

I've been a fan of QFG for seven years now. I love the games and from what I've read so far the books will be even better. I will definitely buy at least one copy of this book when it's released.

-Chris

#40 DarkTouch

DarkTouch

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:16 AM

To Whom it May Concern,
As a long time fan of Quest for Glory I would be extremely interested in purchasing a copy of any proposed novelization. Additionally, I would be excited to see tie ins to such a series including but not limited to a related roleplaying game (potentially using the D20 license) and Action figures.

Thank you for your time,
William Olander

#41 El Ravager

El Ravager

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:16 AM

Wow. What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I was introduced to Quest for Glory at a young age, and grew up with it an important thing in my life (sad, yes, many would classify me as an overenthusiastiv fanatic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...). I've been an active person in the Quest for Glory fanbase for the past three years, so, as you can imagine, I was very excited when I first heard of this novel. The very fact that you've even expressed interest makes me optimistic. Such a novel, I'm sure, would be very successful, among both Quest for Glory fans, fans of general fantasy, and the general public alike.

El Ravager
"And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

#42 RikiTiki

RikiTiki

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:33 AM

First, thank you for considering publication of this novel.
By now, you've perhaps read peans to Quest for Glory here as well as excitement at the possibility of a book -- THIS book.
Considering how many of us have played the games...and then done so AGAIN because they more than merited it, being able to curl up with these adventures in print would be awesome!
Though comparisons many times are off-base, I think this would be similar to other successful 'genre jumps' (Tomb Raider, etc.) with one BIG exception: Lori Cole. An adventure novel by THE author of Quest for Glory, not someone else, can only make it better than others.

#43 Athelas

Athelas

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 11:22 AM

Greetings,

Like many people here, I have played the Quest for Glory games all my life... The rich world in which the games take place, the interesting, wonderful, and often comical characters and their well written dialogue, the wonderful and compelling storyline and plot, and many other great aspects of these games, as well as the noble goal of seeking heroism has always inspired me. A novel based on these games would be a dream come true.

Thank you for your time,

- Martijn van Es, aka Athelas.

#44 bbertram

bbertram

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 01:20 PM

A book!! OMG, that would be fantastic. Imagine being able to continue the adventure by picking up a book. I have played all the Quest for Glory games and I have loved them, I even replay them again today. The story was always interesting and had some funny moments. I would love to see a book.

#45 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 01:49 PM

I've been a fan of Quest for Glory most of my life, in fact, since I was four years old back in 1989, and the original game came out. I've remained faithful to the Coles to this day. The rich storyline, interesting characters, and many... many worlds adds for interesting conversations and hours of gameplay.

Many fans have started to write their own "FanFictions" based on the games, and I know that many people are eagerly anticipating a novel to be released with the Quest for Glory title behind it's name.

Respectfully,
Joshua Koss (King Orion)

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png