115 replies to this topic

#1 MishellBaker

MishellBaker

Famous Adventuress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 08:59 AM

Please do not respond in this thread, which is ONLY for posts thanking future agents for considering BTB. If you want to discuss the process of publishing this book, post in the "Right to Know" thread under "Rants and Raves" instead.

Hey QFG fans:

Well, we did our best, but the bottom line is that LBP just wasn't into the book, and all the marketing in the world can't make her love a book she doesn't love. She was good enough to read it over labor day weekend instead of taking all four weeks, and she wrote me the following:

"Many thanks for sending BY THE BOOK along for my review.

While there's a lot to admire about your writing, I wasn't really taken by this particular story. I'm sure it's me, but I didn't feel as engaged as I would have to be in order to warrant a closer look. Certainly, opinions vary widely in this subjective business and I'm sure another reader will pounce on it.

I wish you the best in your search for suitable representation."

This does not mean necessarily that the book is bad. This just means that it's "not her thing," and she knows better than to try to sell a book that she isn't enchanted by. Her client list is heavy on romance, mystery, and women's fiction. Perhaps she just doesn't have an instinct or a love for somewhat male-oriented teen fantasy. So we just keep trying.

I think we should keep this thread going, though. If you posted in this thread, just go back and take LBP's name out of your letter, make it more general. Avoid "Dear Agent," just don't put in a direct address at all. I can keep putting a link to this in all of the cover letters I send out. Meanwhile, I'll see if there's a way I can get access to this thread and go through and edit the letters that people can't or won't edit themselves. And of course change the subject line.

Keep posting in this thread if you want to show your support. For those of you tuning in, we're trying to convince an agent to represent the QFG novel series and sell it to a publisher. So just post a simple, "Hi! Thanks for considering Lori and Mishell's book; I can't wait to buy it!" and you'll be helping us out a lot.

Thanks again for your help, and remember, the battle is not over yet! Did your Hero give up when he couldn't get that darn Spore Spitting Spirea seed on the first try? No! He threw that rock, climbed that cliffside, or cast that fetch spell over and over and over and over again! And when he finally got the seed, did it matter how many times he'd failed? No! Success is all that matters. And success we will have.

Please do not respond in this thread, which is ONLY for posts thanking future agents for considering BTB. If you want to discuss the process of publishing this book, post in the "Right to Know" thread under "Rants and Raves" instead.
Yours,

Mishell book.gif

Discover your inner hero at HowtoBeaHero.com

#2 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 09:12 AM

As Mishell mentions, there IS indeed a huge fanbase for QfG - and the book written by Lori and Mishell has many people impatiently drumming their fingers in anticipation of its publication and its media splash. I'm very glad you've expressed interest in seeing more about the novel.

Why do we love QfG and the idea of a book set in that world? Because of its charm, its adventure/innocence, its central character who develops as he goes, its humour and cute wordplay... I suppose it's the whole world vision of someone who wasn't a hero to begin with, but whose exciting experiences lead him to find a heroism that was within him and simply needed to be discovered and applied.

With great pleasure,

Almirena
...bruiseless breath / Frosts the sweet solemnity of star-embracing night,
Purpled, music loud as silence; Is this dreaming death?

Sounds Sublime... Because Music Ought to be a Banquet for the Senses...

#3 Thepal

Thepal

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:23 AM

I came as soon as I heard since, like many others, the Quest for Glory series has meant a great deal to me. I don't know anyone who hasn't been drawn into the QfG world when they played it. It is such a unique world, with its own humour, characters and fantasy. And, unlike a lot of other stories, the hero is not someone with a lot of magical power (eg HP) or huge muscles, but at the start is just an ordinary person (who a lot of the time fulfills the description of "bumbling idiot"). But his desire to help people, to be a hero, allows him to do things others cannot.

When Lori and Mishell first went public about the book I was so excited, as were many others. The news quickly spread to the literally hundreds of forums and websites around dedicated to QfG and thousands joined in the excitement. The QfG following is absolutely huge, and everyone I know is eagerly awaiting these books. Take a quick look around the internet and you'll see the huge interest that still exists for even the first QfG game, even though it was made back in the 80s. The fact a game with such outdated graphics and sound still gains new players all the time shows just how great it must have been.

Lori and Mishell are really great writers and have an incredible fantasy world to work with. From what I have seen of their novel they definately have a potentially great series of books on their hands. I strongly recommend you pursue this opportunity. You definately would not regret it.

Paul Carr (Thepal) - A fan from the beginning

#4 Lira Lindriel

Lira Lindriel

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:41 AM

I can only agree with everything Thepal said. When I first heard of them writing a novel, I offered at once to help out with proofreading and similar. And from what I've seen from the novel, it's got awesome potential! smile.gif
My favorite pastime is reading (even more so than playing comp games.) I've loved QfG for years - and now being able to combine the pleasures of QfG with my favorite passtime is certainly something I look forward to very much.
QfG itself is a great world that certainly wasn't explored completely in the games - and those games are great and very addictive. And it's a great idea to continue this exploration in books where it may be possible to tell some things more in depth than in an adventure. In other words, those books will be well worth reading - even for someone who has never played QfG and maybe never will.

#5 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:11 PM

The first time I played "Quest for Glory" was fully 12 years ago, and even then I was captivated by its charm and the innocence of a person who, despite not having the prerequisites of heroism such as huge muscles or impressive magic, grew up to become a hero. The best part about the game, of course, was that it was my control over the hero's fate - it was up to me to say whether he would succeed or fail. I would also heartily enjoy and endorse the book (even though in the book I wouldn't quite have so much control). <grin> Over the years I followed the hero's adventures in four more games, and "Quest for Glory" stll holds a very special place in my heart. Perhaps one of the best lessons that "Quest for Glory" taught me was that I have control over my own destiny, something that I fervently believe in, and I believe that this book will bring that message to a lot of people: that no matter how powerless one might feel, one still can make a difference. smile.gif

I'm very glad you've expressed interest in the novel, and I hope that you will like it just as much as we did. smile.gif

Yours sincerely,

Greg Galon (Rath Darkblade)
My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#6 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:30 PM

Whenever I look back to my days as a very young boy, I can rarely recall any good moments that happened to me, largely because I suffered greatly at the hands of less than 'good' people. But what moments I can recall are almost universally regarding classical Sierra games, it's very sad when my best friends during my childhood were nothing more than a bunch of pixaliated characters who don't really exist in real life. In any case, it would really mean quite a lot to me if the QFG novel(s) was made, more to me than most other fans at that. QFG was the most memorable game Sierra ever made, although they produced many fine adventure games, QFG had the largest potential to have the largest fan database, and the most flexible of all Sierra games for FanFiction. So it is with all humility that I request that you take advantage of this opportunity, you will not be sorry.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#7 Xandarous

Xandarous

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:05 PM

A novel set in the QFG world would be a bright addition to what is already out there. The quest for Glory fan base is quite large and a novel would be well recieved and enjoyed by all. There can never be too much Quest for Glory!

David
Webmaster for David's Quest for Glory Adventure Tavern
http://davestavern.iwarp.com

#8 Eric Banyon

Eric Banyon

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:16 PM

So much has already been said here, that I'm finding myself at a loss. The Quest for Glory world IS a world to many of us, a world whose people and whose very nature has drawn us back to it time and time again. Its fan base is worldwide and is still growing despite the fact that the games themselves are no longer being produced. Of course, the fact that most of these fans have real-world responsibilities and such sometimes means that getting them to post within a deadline of only a few days is sometimes difficult. But we ARE all here. The prospect of this book is something we've all been looking forward to with great anticipation.

Arg. I don't know how well I'm saying all this. Thank you very much considering this book. It would mean a great deal to many of us to see it published. smile.gif

#9 Mikkel

Mikkel

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

The ”Quest for Glory” series holds a special place in my heart. I have played many games, and been a part of many communities, but I always return to ”Quest for Glory” in the end. The game has a large breathing community of caring and truly inspiring people, who since the end of ”Quest for Glory 5: Dragon fire” have been trying, both though numerous fan projects and petitions, to get another chance to experience the wonderful world that Corey and Lori Cole created.

These people have continued to be faithful to a game series that stopped being produced years ago, and they still want more. There is no doubt in my mind that the greater majority of these people, if given the opportunity of buying a book that Lori has helped co-write together with Mishell Barker and set in a world we so dearly love, will buy it as soon as it hit stores.

I am certain that I will.
"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry."
- Bertrand Russell "Study of Mathematics"

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

World Community Grid - technology solving problems

#10 Jamus4

Jamus4

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:21 PM

There have been few computer games I have followed with the same loyalty and delight with which I followed, played, and replayed the "Quest for Glory" series. The key to the games' success in my mind was the wonderful and inventive imagination of their design in story and character. Certainly, the puzzles were fun, but what drove the games was my complete dedication to seeing to and caring for the needs of the many characters who roamed the streets and byways of Glorianna.

This power to capitvate through character development and storyline drew me into each and every game. As you know, Lori Cole was the driving force behind the games' development. Her inspiration and story writing gave the series its unique power to capture the imagination and hold me to my computer chair for hours on end.

I am certain that same flair will drive the novel she has been working on based on "Quest for Glory." Please consider her manuscript for publication so I may again share in the wonders she envisions.

I am a high school English teacher who writes a bit herself, and is ever ready to buy and read the good fiction, especially fantasy novels. merlin.gif

#11 gphoenix51

gphoenix51

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

wave1.gif

Quest For Glory is, in my opinion and in many other fans opinion's as well, the greatest RPG ever made. It has everything a good story needs. Heroes, Villains, excellent stories, intriguing side quests, exciting and challenging fights, and bad puns! A novel would add to the greatness that is QFG, and it would make all us fans happy. Especially since there won’t be anymore games, unless we can convince Sierra to start them up again. Novels would be a great way to continue the story, or to make a new story in the QFG backdrop. Thank you very much for considering us, and I hope you will publish the book.

Long Live Devon Aidendale and the whole Family!

#12 RaverBoi

RaverBoi

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:09 PM

I was overjoyed when I first heard about the possibility of a Quest for Glory novel. I have been playing QFG since I was twelve and that has been ten years now. Every once in a while I get nostalgic and will reinstall the game just for another dose of the amazing world that the Coles created.

A QFG novel would be a wonderful return to this world, and I believe would be extremely successful. There is a large fan base that agrees with me. I hope that you can seriously consider your support of this book.

Nicholas, 22, Michigan

#13 Ugarte

Ugarte

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:30 PM

I can't thank you enough for taking a strong interest in this new book. I can assure you that it will sell well considering the large Quest for Glory fan base I've seen over the years. I hope you enjoy reading it, and I'm sure the rest of us will, too. wink.gif

#14 Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:00 PM

The story of the "Quest for Glory" game is an inspiring one. It is one of potential, where a person’s future success is not a foregone conclusion at birth. It takes place in a world of magic and fantasy, but it is the human qualities of inner strength and intelligence that are most valued. The message within the games is clear: it is the heart that makes the champion.

The story behind the “Quest for Glory” book is just as inspiring. Two women, of different ages, backgrounds, and experience, have come together out of a shared passion. Both possessing the belief that the lessons taught in the original games deserved to be shared again, with the fans of the past and a new generation of young people.

Reading what people have said here, it should be clear the impact Lori Cole has had on those who encountered her games at an impressionable age. She is revered by them, and rightly so. I have had the privilege to know Mishell Baker’s work as well. She has a singular talent for the written word, truly expressive and compelling. And she possesses an unmatched level of enthusiasm and drive for what she believes in. Due, in no small part, to her exposure to Ms. Cole’s games.

The theme of the game, and the guiding principle behind Ms. Cole’s and Ms. Baker’s lives, is that heroism is innate in everyone. All that is required is the passion to bring it out. Now they need someone who believes the same thing. Someone else who recognizes the truths in their work, and the impact it could have on countless young readers. I do very much hope that the person is you. That you can be their hero, and mine.

#15 Guest_Calico66_*

Guest_Calico66_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:06 PM

wave2.gif Someone wants to release Mishell's book to the reading public!?!?

What a great idea! I've read her stuff and have been waiting for her to catch a big break.
beerchug.gif

I'll buy a copy!

--Charlie