41 replies to this topic

#16 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Just as a note: Training Zap involves spamming it in battle. For some reason, Zap won't level outside of battle.

This also means that Fighters and Paladins with magic can't train Zap at all.

As far as getting stuck goes, well...

I'm sad to say, but you saved the game at a point where it's locked up. I've experienced this since before the GOG version, and it happens randomly. The game's trying to transition, but the pathing gets messed up and the hero wanders off the screen forevermore. Gotta save more often tongue.gif
All is well!~

#17 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

I know how to train Zap. The reason why I didn't do it in Shapier (train it I mean) is simply because of the time limit. Literally all of the Magic training I did, I just did it for my newest spells (Force Bolt, Reversal, Levitate enc), leveling them up to 100 and that's it!

The closest thing that got to 200 was Flame Dart, which was at 186 iirc by the end. I remember that spell was quite easy to train up since it was so high.

I think I've worked out a system for training Zap: get into battle, cast it immediately, stab/slash til I see blood fly (which tells me I hit successfully), cast it again, lather rinse repeat until Bad Thing dies!

Oh boy, this is gonna be funfunfun to do again. As if I didn't have the Sierra Golden Rule hammered into my head hard enough already!

#18 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

No need to worry darling biggrin.gif

Worst case scenario, I'll level up your magic skill for you smile.gif

But I still wanna give it a try on my Pentium 4 first smile.gif I'll try it tomorrow smile.gif

Check your previous game, and if you want, tell me what stage in the game did you get to, from that point, and I'll get you there smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#19 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (Elsa Von Spielburg @ Jun 15 2013, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need to worry darling biggrin.gif

Worst case scenario, I'll level up your magic skill for you smile.gif

But I still wanna give it a try on my Pentium 4 first smile.gif I'll try it tomorrow smile.gif

Check your previous game, and if you want, tell me what stage in the game did you get to, from that point, and I'll get you there smile.gif

Aww Elsa, you don't have to do that for me! *blushes*

My previous game? As in TBF or my latest not messed up save file? (which is labelled "Sanford?!")

It's Day 16 on that file ("Sandford?!"), I've taken Sehkmet's Test (and passed with flying colors if I do say so myself!). I'm standing by An Forda and Son (how is it that I've never watched this show, yet I still "get" the joke anyway? I honestly don't know. Yes, I made a specific save file that just has me standing by them in order to listen to their theme music).

My inventory: Money Bag (108 Crowns, 56 Commons), Fine Dagger, Fine Spear (for Laibon), Tinderbox, Throwing Dagger (never used due to not having Throwing skill and I frankly don't think I need it either), Poison Cure Pills (39), Healing Pills (36), Mana Pills (37), SPIM Rations (3), Waterskin, Dispel Potion (3), Dried Fish, Dried Meat, Fruit, String of Beads (for Johari), Zebra Skins (5, for Laibon), Dinosaur Horn (8, although I can remember in my messed up file I had like 24 of 'em! I'm THAT daring!), Sapphire Pin (haven't found a use for yet surprisingly! I tried showing it to the Katta in town, but the game tells me "No!"), Honey, Wooden Leopard (for Johari), Fire Opal, Fine Robe (for Laibon).

Name: Finn Dillon

Class: Wizard

Stats:

Strength: 125
Intelligence: 248
Agility: 146
Vitality: 188
Luck: 141
Magic: 233
Paladin: 0
Weapon Use: 151
Parry: 0
Dodge: 24
Stealth: 0
Pick Locks: 0
Throwing: 0
Climbing: 0
Communication: 206
Honor: 150
Puzzle Points: 178
Health: 167
Stamina: 167
Mana: 238

Magic Spells:

Open: 105
Detect Magic: 100
Trigger: 100
Dazzle: 131
Zap: 102
Calm: 101
Flame Dart: 300! smile.gif
Fetch: 100
Force Bolt: 111
Levitate: 101
Reversal: 102
Juggling Lights: 5
Summon Staff: 10

Plot: Caught Leopardman by this point. Have everything to free her (Dispel Potion, Bride Price items, Friendship Gifts enc) by this point, but since nothing happens plot-wise until I free her, I've just been grinding my magic to prepare for endgame at the Lost City. Surprisingly haven't found Manu anywhere yet!

Edited by Soulforge89, 16 June 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#20 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

So basically from that point until the mess up, you been skilling up your magic and that's it?

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#21 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

Uh huh. And yet, I'm still wondering why I haven't found Manu.

#22 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

A P4 is way too fast for SCI games.

@Soulforge89, remember the adventure gamers motto: "Save Early and save often." This also means that you should not make a new save on top of an existing save. I know, little comfort after the fact, but you may be looking at replaying from your next earlier save game point.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

#23 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ Jun 15 2013, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I've worked out a system for training Zap: get into battle, cast it immediately, stab/slash til I see blood fly (which tells me I hit successfully), cast it again, lather rinse repeat until Bad Thing dies!

That's one of the least efficient ways of training.

To train zap in QFG3, enter battle... and hold down the zap button until your magic bar is gone. Kill the enemy with your dagger. Check your zap skill to see that it has skyrocketed. It takes no time at all to train Zap.
All is well!~

#24 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

@ Collector
I KNOW that already! I just didn't listen, and now I'm probably gonna be a burden to Elsa.

@ Zach

Um, won't that also put me at risk of getting hit more often and dying?

#25 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ Jun 16 2013, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Collector
I KNOW that already! I just didn't listen, and now I'm probably gonna be a burden to Elsa.

@ Zach

You're allowed up to 20 saves per folder - use them biggrin.gif I keep a ton of saves just so I can go back and get screenshots at certain places if I ever need them. Aaaaand as for the risk of dying - that's what saves are for wink.gif *smirks*

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pngwow.pnggw.png

#26 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ Jun 16 2013, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Zach

If you're worried about that, start with Dazzle, then do Zap spam while the enemy is stunned.
All is well!~

#27 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

And how long would Dazzle last? I've only cast it in battle by accident.

Seriously Elsa, I've calmed down now. The mess-up is my fault, and I think it's my responsibility to get it right!

#28 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ Jun 16 2013, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And how long would Dazzle last? I've only cast it in battle by accident.

It depends on your skill in it, I guess. Dazzle generally lasts long enough for me.

There's also another option. Dazzle, spamcast Zap without attacking, run away, pop several Mana pills (you did buy a whole bunch of mana pills in QFG2, right?), enter fight again, dazzle, spamcast zap, repeat until you're done and then just fire dart the monster to death.
All is well!~

#29 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Yes, I brought a whole bunch of Pills. And actually, both techniques sound good. It makes sense that Dazzle would last longer if it has more power, yes. Does it keep your enemy from not attacking you at all? or it just that they attack less?

#30 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ Jun 16 2013, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I brought a whole bunch of Pills. And actually, both techniques sound good. It makes sense that Dazzle would last longer if it has more power, yes. Does it keep your enemy from not attacking you at all? or it just that they attack less?

They outright stop doing anything.
All is well!~