11 replies to this topic

#1 Psyckosama

Psyckosama

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi. Does anyone know how to give yourself the sword, shield and Zaap spell in the VGA version, or the lock pick set and thieves sign if you're not a thief?

#2 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

Greetings, and welcome to the forums!

Well, as a Magic User or Fighter, you do have 50 available points you can assign to the Lock Picking skill if you wish to have that. As for the Sword, Shield, and Zap spell, you would probably need to have a Hex editor to manipulate your save game files.

I am curious though, why would you want to do that? A big part of the QFG series is the fact that you can play through with different character classes, giving you different experiences each time.

#3 Psyckosama

Psyckosama

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

I have taken all of the skills. The problem is that while you might have the lock picking skill, you don't have lockpicks unless you're a thief which kind of makes the skill pointless. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that this will require hex editing of a save (hence the name of the thread).

I just need to know the addresses to change to give myself the equpment/spell

Don't think I'm new to the game just because I want to try something new.

I've played through several of the games with the various character types. Now I want to try playing through with all three at once.

Edited by Psyckosama, 01 September 2009 - 11:55 PM.

#4 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

The Lockpicking skill is still useful if you are a Fighter or Magic User.

All you have to do is walk into the alley at night, and click your hand icon on the Thief who is facing you. He'll give you the password to the Thieves Guild.

Once you're in, you can buy a license and a lock pick.

#5 Psyckosama

Psyckosama

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:31 AM

Good. smile.gif

So, anything about the Sword, Shield, and Zap?

#6 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

The save game files do not appear to be easy to Hex edit. There doesn't seem to be a simple format of items with a quantity value or true/false indicators. I found the portion that lists the potential inventory items your character can have, but don't see any way to modify the values. Actually I don't see the values at all...

#7 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

Hmm, one thing you can do is just use Cheat Engine to lock the number of points to allocate at the start of the game, that will allow you have all the skills you want without any issue. smile.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#8 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

What you could also do is create a fighter with both thief skills and magic, then import him into QFG2 where he'll automatically get Zap. It's not like zap is all that necessary when you already have a sword that does extra damage in battle. (and you can't cast spells in-battle with a shield on your arm)

#9 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Nov 4 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you could also do is create a fighter with both thief skills and magic, then import him into QFG2 where he'll automatically get Zap. It's not like zap is all that necessary when you already have a sword that does extra damage in battle. (and you can't cast spells in-battle with a shield on your arm)

Pretty much this. If you want to cast spells as a Fighter in combat, though, you could always play the EGA version where you have the ability to drop your shield.

Or wait until QFG4 where you gain the mysterious ability to cast spells regardless of whether you've got a hunk of interfering metal on your left arm, only to immediately lose it next game.
All is well!~

#10 nobody1898

nobody1898

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

you can find and edit spells in the exact same manor as your stats, as explained at sierrahelp.com

http://www.sierrahel...G1VGACheat.html

if you change the value for zap from 00 you will be able to use it in battle but the spell will not appear in your spell inventory. As a bonus, it does become permanent and available in your spell inventory when your character is imported to QFG2.

#11 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Nov 4 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or wait until QFG4 where you gain the mysterious ability to cast spells regardless of whether you've got a hunk of interfering metal on your left arm, only to immediately lose it next game.

Actually QFG5 inverts the whole thing.

For Quest for Glory 1 through 3, it's your shield that interferes with casting.

For Quest for Glory 5, however, it's your sword/axe/spear that interferes with casting. You can apparently cast spells if you have a shield, I think...

Granted, you get a magic penalty to your spells due to wearing non-light armor.
All is well!~

#12 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Correct, that's why the slasher dagger was made for the Wizard character in DF.

Find QFG Import files here.