Photo

For those with damaged/missing game cds...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hmm.... I'm starting to think that maybe I should make a forum for this missing games cds thing... thinkerg.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#32 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking & Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG & especially Strategy)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

Good idea but the topic should be different somewhat...how about 'Missing Games Discussions' smile.gif! thinkerg.gif
<funny>?

PEACE!!!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#33 Lucifiel

Lucifiel

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Wow, where'd you manage to get the cds? I kinda need the QFG Collection cd(just look at how ruined it is!). It'd be nice to be able to get the boxed set again, though, only it's so outrageously priced these days. My box was "destroyed".

Edited by Lucifiel, 12 January 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#34 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

There was some discussion about missing/damaged game files on VOGONS. There was some talk of an online repository of files (not whole games), but was dismissed for obvious legal reasons. What might be the most viable suggestion was an archive of PAR2 files. For those that are not familiar with PAR2, damaged or partially missing files can be rebuilt, if you have enough blocks of PAR2s to make up for the missing blocks of data from files you are trying to repair. The same PAR2 file could be used to repair any of the files that the PAR2 is based on. Some use generate PAR2s for insurance when they burn CDs. Should the CD degrade some, they would be recoverable with the PAR2s.

Though I can't be completely sure of the legal status of making PAR2s available, you would not be hosting any copyrighted files. If less than 100% of blocks in PAR2s were available, no one could construct a game without already having enough of the original files. If you had only 10% in PAR2s, you would still need 90% of the game files to rebuild the game.

For more information see this: Reed–Solomon error correction

or for a less technical link: PAR2 Files Explained

Edited by Collector, 12 January 2008 - 08:57 PM.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

#35 Lucifiel

Lucifiel

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (Collector @ Jan 12 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was some discussion about missing/damaged game files on VOGONS. There was some talk of an online repository of files (not whole games), but was dismissed for obvious legal reasons. What might be the most viable suggestion was an archive of PAR2 files. For those that are not familiar with PAR2, damaged or partially missing files can be rebuilt, if you have enough blocks of PAR2s to make up for the missing blocks of data from files you are trying to repair. The same PAR2 file could be used to repair any of the files that the PAR2 is based on. Some use generate PAR2s for insurance when they burn CDs. Should the CD degrade some, they would be recoverable with the PAR2s.

Though I can't be completely sure of the legal status of making PAR2s available, you would not be hosting any copyrighted files. If less than 100% of blocks in PAR2s were available, no one could construct a game without already having enough of the original files. If you had only 10% in PAR2s, you would still need 90% of the game files to rebuild the game.

For more information see this: Reed–Solomon error correction

or for a less technical link: PAR2 Files Explained

Hmmm... wow, that sounds like a good method I could use. First, I think I'll try using image recovery software like Isobuster and a few others. Then, I'll move to using your method. smile.gif

I'd previously attempted to extract the files but that was on an older pc: the 2 cd/dvd drives were unable to read it. And neither could another laptop.

Thank you,
Lucifiel

#36 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

I was trying to make a new installer for QfG3 and dug out my old disks. I had archived the installed game, but for some reason I had not archived the floppies, too like I always do. Disk 3 and the patch disk have become unreadable. I was able to rescue the data off of the other disks. Disk 3 should contain the files "VERSION" (7 bytes) and "RESOURCE.003" (1,454,000 bytes). The game disks have "VER#1.0", which is what is in the "VERSION" file and the patch disk has "VER#1.0A" on it. I don't remember all of what was on the patch disk, but I imagine that it was the same as the downloadable patch from Sierra, "QG3PAT.EXE"

I don't need the files to play the game, since I saved the installed game files, but I need it to make a new DOSBox installer for QfG3. The installer will concatenate the pieces of the resource file into one "RESOURCE.000" (5,868,000 bytes). "RESOURCE.003" is one of the files needed for this. If the patch disk is identical to the downloadable "QG3PAT.EXE" I do not need it, but I need to be sure if it is the same.

I can scan the disks, manuals and or box for proof. If any of you have this version, it would be of great help. Remember, this would be for the whole QfG community as it would help me with my QfG3 DOSBox installer.

Paladin Shield

#37 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

No one here has the floppy version?

Paladin Shield

#38 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Wasting a nosy person's time by getting them to read the "Your Interests" section in its entirety before they fully realize they could've been doing something constructive with their time.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

My QFG games are all on floppy diskettes, except for the fifth installment, which only came on CD.

#39 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

If you have it, did you read the Jun 25 post?

Paladin Shield

#40 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

Bump... Is there anyone else besides DPX that has QfG3 on floppy? Someone who is actually willing to help?

Paladin Shield

#41 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'll email DPX...

#42 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

Thanks, but I don't think he is willing to help.

Paladin Shield

#43 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Wasting a nosy person's time by getting them to read the "Your Interests" section in its entirety before they fully realize they could've been doing something constructive with their time.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Collector @ Jul 9 2008, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bump... Is there anyone else besides DPX that has QfG3 on floppy? Someone who is actually willing to help?

QUOTE (Collector @ Jul 12 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, but I don't think he is willing to help.

Thank you for making both of those assumptions on my part.

My life has been extremely busy lately and gathering 16 year-old diskettes has not been my top priority. In addition, no one has even bothered to ask me directly. Yes, you did make a post on this board regarding your dilemma -- however, it was stuck in the middle of an already established thread. Perhaps a new thread would have been in order or maybe a link to this particular post in your signature space.

Regardless, I have far more urgent matters to attend to, none of which involve me getting these diskettes from my dad's house.

Edited by DeadPoolX, 15 July 2008 - 06:06 AM.

#44 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

I am not trying to make you upset, but what am I to assume when you say you have them and then ignore the request, but continue posting elsewhere on these boards. If you had not posted here at all since then, I would have assumed you just got too busy. If you had explained that you had them, but would not have a chance to get to them, that would have been the end of it. I'm sorry if I read you wrong, but stop and think how it came across. I asked for help in the official thread for such requests and you said you had what I needed and walked away without comment, but continued to have a presence on these boards.

Paladin Shield

#45 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Collector @ Jul 15 2008, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not trying to make you upset, but what am I to assume when you say you have them and then ignore the request, but continue posting elsewhere on these boards. If you had not posted here at all since then, I would have assumed you just got too busy. If you had explained that you had them, but would not have a chance to get to them, that would have been the end of it. I'm sorry if I read you wrong, but stop and think how it came across. I asked for help in the official thread for such requests and you said you had what I needed and walked away without comment, but continued to have a presence on these boards.

I understand; however, if you were truly interested in gaining those diskettes, you might have tried sending me an e-mail or PM. Checking with me to see if I could assist you, instead of immediately assuming I wouldn't do so, would have been the right way to handle this situation.

Remember: You asked for help and therefore, you must go the extra mile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users