Photo

For those with damaged/missing game cds...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

This is for those of you with damaged/missing game CDs. Since I understand how awful it feels not to have your CDs - (especially if you paid for the original thing!) if you'd like you can PM me some proof that you actually own the original games and we can arrange an online transfer so I can send you the QfG CDs you’re missing smile.gif

This proof could be:
  1. A picture of you holding your CDs, CD case, manual, and/or game box
  2. A scan of your CDs, CD case, manual, and/or game box, with a note that has your username on it included in the scan.
Any one of the above will do smile.gif

As far as providing the files to you, the most convenient way for us is through digital file transfer. (We’re all from many different countries here on the forums, and sometimes the shipping fees to send a physical copy can get quite pricey. Sorry for the inconvenience here!)

A few ways of providing the files are:
  1. Direct file transfer. This is usually done through Gigatribe. Can also be done through Yahoo Instant Messenger if need be.
  2. The files can also be temporarily uploaded to a website for you to download. For our protection though - if this option is chosen - the files will only stay up for 24 hours after we send you the download link.
Hope this helps smile.gif

~ Elsa and Orion, the QFMG Administrative Staff
More added in 2012!
  • The games are now available on the DRM Free (no digital rights management) game site GOG.com for $10 USD.
  • Direct link to the GOG page is here: http://www.gog.com/e...quest_for_glory.
  • We strongly recommend this as the best way to replace any broken or lost discs. Not only does this give you full copies of the games, but they also come pre-set to play with DOSBox and most (if not all) patches already applied. Not a bad purchase at all!

• For those looking for just Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire, there's another alternative for you - the good folks at AGDI (Anonymous Game Developers Interactive! *cough* Lame "W.I.T." pun there... *cough*) did a fantastic VGA remake of the game!
  • You can download it for free at their site here: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

#2 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Digital Innovations - SkipDr.

This is a lovely product, that if you've got scratches on the underside of your CD/DVD, you can 'wipe' them off by resurfacing the readable side of your disk!

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#3 Brassfire

Brassfire

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Game Development, Music, Creativity, Writing, Computers, Internet, Human Potential

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

That's usually good for minor to bad scratches, but won't fix really bad scratches as those sometimes have missing data rather than just a surface problem. (I have a friend who has one.)
~Brassfire the Mage~
Score tied for Paladin and Wizard. But truly a Bard at heart!

"The relationship between beans and cultural renaissance is crucial." - Umberto Eco

#4 LrdPhoenix

LrdPhoenix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:15 AM

Yes, if the scratch extends to about half way through the CD it won't work. The information is stored in a thin plate sandwhiched between two clear pieces of plastic. So if its just the bottom layer of plastic thats scratched then it will work, but if the plate is then its screwed.

So with that in mind, you could probably have a lightly sandpapered cd and still make it work with that thing.

Edited by LrdPhoenix, 11 March 2005 - 02:16 AM.

#5 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:01 PM

Actually, I took some rough sandpaper on an old CD of a band I don't like anymore, and tried the SkipDr. (mine's called the DiscDr.). It usually needs 2 rotations through to fix minor scratches, but 5 rotations fixed it smile.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#6 Tallin

Tallin

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:42 AM

Actually, it's DVDs that the data layer is between two pieces of plastic. For CDs, it is only one piece of plastic, and the data layer is on top, underneath a protective coating. This is the reason you should only write on a CD with a felt-tipped marker, never with a pen. It's also the reason the top of a CD is far more delicate. Plus, I'd imagine, this is why you also find double-sided DVDs...

Edited by Tallin, 18 June 2005 - 08:44 AM.

My name is Tallin and I am a Rogue.

Rogue Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#7 Guest_Serith_*

Guest_Serith_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:20 AM

It has been a long time since I played. I was never able to finish QFG5 because my game had an error where I couldn't leave the scene when thehero was walking on the large red dragon...I think it was in the underworld. Like I said its been awhile, but I want to go through and replay them. Is this a known error with a fix or should I just look into getting a new copy? Thanks.

#8 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

This isn't a problem with the game - it's a puzzle. You cannot leave Hades unless you've completed EVERYTHING you came to do. That is, you've got two different sorts of water... and had to face the choice of saving two people...

#9 Druss

Druss

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:I like rice crackers. That's all you need to know.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

So, I know this exceeds the purpose of this thread, but could anyone help me out with a damaged Gold Rush disk?

The problem is with Disk 2 of the 3.5'' version (the game also came with five 5 1/4" disks, but not having a floppy drive makes them useless), I get the typical "Disk needs formatting" error when I place it into the disk drive. I was wondering if it'd be possible to format the disk and then place an image of it back on to it. Would that work or am I oversimplifying the problem?

#10 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:59 AM

The easiest thing might be to have someone send you the files contained in disk 2 in a .zip file by e-mail. You could then un-zip the files and copy them to a new blank 3.5" diskette. For games that old most of the time just having the files from the disk are good enough.

The rules are that you must post proof that you own the game as Elsa mentioned above... although since you are only asking for the 2nd disk I'm not sure if this rule still needs to apply.

I unfortunately do not own this game, but hopefully someone else in the community does have a copy and would be willing to help you.

#11 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

Any people from Texas around here? Ragehammer has sent me pictures of his original Qfg 4 cd which is damaged, so I was wondering if there is anyone here close enough to mail him a copy of Qfg4?

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#12 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

If no one else can do it, I'll be happy to.

#13 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Wasting a nosy person's time by getting them to read the "Your Interests" section in its entirety before they fully realize they could've been doing something constructive with their time.

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Elsa Von Spielburg @ Sep 16 2007, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any people from Texas around here? Ragehammer has sent me pictures of his original Qfg 4 cd which is damaged, so I was wondering if there is anyone here close enough to mail him a copy of Qfg4?

Good news and bad news, Elsa.

I am from Texas. I believe I've stated as much many times on here as well. However, the bad news is that I do not have QFG4 with me right now, so I can't do anything to help. I could drive to my Dad's house where it is, but that's about 80 miles (roughly 129 kilometers) away from me, so it's not exactly the shortest trip.

I will be going that way in November (for my GRE General Exam and Thanksgiving), so if Ragehammer could wait until sometime in November, I could do it for him. Otherwise, it'd probably be best to let Almirena handle it (since she's already offered).

#14 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking &amp; Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG &amp; especially Strategy)

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

My problem is very recent. The Game Disc of QFG V Dragon Fire now a rather deep scratch near top, probably the handiwork of one my younger Grandsons, who somehow in my absence got hold of it (this is pure speculation of course, but it's a sort of thing that couldn't have occured by itself). Willy-nilly I do manag to to play it but it gets stuck at a new room tho it does read it in the end after causing a few missed heartbeats. And the funny thing is that I had installed the complete game (both CDs) but still the game asks for the Game Disc and the problem starts frown.gif. Can that be rectified, I mean is there way I can remove it for better performance??? Somebody suggested rubbing tooth-paste on it (he said he has repaired several of his scratched CDs)! I am reluctant to try it as I might lose whatever is left of it.
When I tried re-installing the game movies 4,5 and 6 won't install. I get the message 'installed with errors' and that's more irksome!
I am looking for it's replacement as I play, replay all th QFG games frown.gif!!! crying2.gif
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#15 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:58 AM

Umm....Grand Dad, can you wait till weekend? I could send you the damaged cd by online transfer if you want. smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users