36 replies to this topic

#31 James StarRunner

James StarRunner

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Oh, I've definitely done hybrid before (sorry to all you purists). Once your magic is high enough, things get easy. I've killed several critters with flame darts before it could get to me with my paladin, but I know a fresh magic user is kinda tough. That said, I'm still going to chuck out all my coins. That way I won't even be able to afford a flame dart scroll. ;3
Evil wizards? Dark Knights? Banana pudding? I'll take them all on!

#32 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

You could do that, or you could keep your coins and just wait until later in the game to buy Flame Dart. smile.gif I understand your point, makes the game more challenging, but what I mean is you could just pretend you have no money, and not buy things until later on.

#33 James StarRunner

James StarRunner

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

I guess, but I won't have to carry this character over to the other games. I just want to see if I can survive. And now that I have a few days off, I will attempt that now!

Edit: Actually so far so good. I got rid of everything humanly possible. It wouldn't let me drop my gold, so I bought daggers (then dropped them). I even dropped my rations and jerkin. So, I started with a completely empty money pouch, no armor, no food, and a single dagger as my only item.

I haven't beat it yet, but I'm surviving quite well. I'm getting money back, killing stuff, progressing in the game. Sure it takes longer, but not that difficult really if you know what you're doing.

Edited by James StarRunner, 26 June 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Evil wizards? Dark Knights? Banana pudding? I'll take them all on!

#34 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

I've been wanting to play through with two different characters, a swashbuckler (a Thief with better combat skills) and my personal favorite of Wizard turned Paladin, but I may change up the second for a more battle-mage feeling, either a Fighter with magic or a Wizard with combat. Not sure which I'll play through first as, but lately in most RPGs I play, I've ended up going about with the sneaky-way of doing things (Hail Sithis!)

Only thing I may end up doing is possibly using a cheat to 'swap' out a dagger for the starter sword, since there's no (to my recollection) actual way of getting a sword as a non-Figher in QFG1. As much as I hate cheating in the series, (unless it's to get a certain screenshot, in which case, I'm not actually 'playing' the games, just using the console cheats to get what I need) I wouldn't consider this that much of cheat more as a 'edit' to starting gear.

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#35 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

It's funny how the hero-mage, in this game at least, is quite capable of using physical combat to succeed where magic isn't. It's pretty awesome that a mage can kill a spear-and-shield wielding brigand with absolutely nothing more than a dagger -- not even using a single spell.

In that sense, I suppose even a pure magic user could fulfill the qualifications to become a "battle mage", though I suppose you mean giving the magic user parry biggrin.gif

For a more dramatic difference, though, I tend to prefer fighters with magic use. Especially starting with the second game, as you learn Zap, which lets you get a stronger hit at the beginning of each battle.

Though I have to say, giving a Thief magic user, starting at the second game, is actually really handy. And there's even a game over message that's only available to burglars with Fetch XD in the second game, I mean.

Or perhaps give Throwing to the Magic User, for zapping a throwing dagger. Works out well in the fifth game, I understand.

Edited by Zachski, 14 July 2012 - 06:17 PM.

All is well!~

#36 crayauchtin

crayauchtin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

I think any straight non-hybrid class has its difficulties -- with the fighter, for instance, it's much more important to grind skills *before* you need them, I found. And, if I'm not mistaken, the skills need to be higher for a lot of the puzzles than the thief or magic user needs.

It's definitely the hybrid class (any hybrid class, I think) that's easiest to play.

#37 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

The magic user has eight additional skills to level, and in doing so burns through potions at an insane rate. In the remake you really have to rely on the mushroom money bug to get them up to high levels. But the magic-using fighter can't even practice his magic in combat, which makes it all the more trying to level spells. It's not *difficult* per se, but it is probably the most frustrating class build for those who want to max everything before QfG 2. . . and if you're going into the remake, you might really need it.
QUOTE (myself)
I forge my sword of victory from the silver linings of my failures.

I'm Arc Collins, and I'm a Paladin. I care because I comprehend.