36 replies to this topic

#1 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

Ah well! never chose the Thief so no comments, BUT oooh as a Magic User I'm having a tough time. Running for my life, getting no money except by sellin 'flowers' or cleaning miserable stables...not enough to buy a Mana Potion or even a Healing one!
But I intend to rough it out smile.gif. If Erana's Peace wasn't these I'd have died hungry or killed by a measily Goblin <oohooo> shout.gif crying2.gif
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#2 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

Even if you're a mage you should not hesitate to get your hands dirty. So, get your fighting skills up, earn the cash to buy them mana potions and then just cast away.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#3 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Darian Kheynes @ Oct 28 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if you're a mage you should not hesitate to get your hands dirty. So, get your fighting skills up, earn the cash to buy them mana potions and then just cast away.

Yeah, I do the same thing whenever I play a Magic User (or any class for that matter).
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#4 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Yeah. Nobody says you shouldn't be able to fight decently if you're a thief or wizard. Sure, you won't be as proficient in combat as a warrior, but you should still be able to "hold your own." Especially the thief, considering that class can't rely on magic (unless, of course, someone chooses to take some magical abilities along with the thief as well).

#5 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Oho Darian I never expected this from you, shame!

#6 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

What do you mean, Gran Dad? It wouldn't make much sense tactically not to be able to fight even if you do have magic at your hands. What makes a hero is the ability to use what ever you need to succeed, and actually it would be honorable to fight without magic tricks, than with them. Besides, the paladin 'cheats' also, with his paladin spells, so I don't see why the mage shouldn't wield a sword or dagger if need be.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

#7 iamtheman

iamtheman

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:30 AM

I always thought the fighter\paladin class was a bit of a wuss considering he needs his shield with him at all times - until QfGV where he can go without it.

The thief is definitely the most daring combater since he goes up against an opponent with just his pig-sticker and relys on his agility alone.

Maybe I'm a bit of a wuss, though, since I usually prefer to sneak past nearly every fight - regardless of what class I'm playing as. Don't hold that against me. wink.gif

EDIT BY ORION: Family forum here, iamtheman smile.gif Please watch your slang words! smile.gif

Edited by Orion, 02 November 2007 - 07:09 AM.

#8 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (iamtheman @ Nov 1 2007, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought the fighter\paladin class was a bit of a wuss considering he needs his shield with him at all times - until QfGV where he can go without it.

The thief is definitely the most daring combater since he goes up against an opponent with just his pig-sticker and relys on his agility alone.

Maybe I'm a bit of a wuss, though, since I usually prefer to sneak past nearly every fight - regardless of what class I'm playing as. Don't hold that against me. wink.gif

EDIT BY ORION: Family forum here, iamtheman smile.gif Please watch your slang words! smile.gif

No! I missed it! I wanted to see what he said! biggrin.gif

#9 iamtheman

iamtheman

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

Oops, sorry. Sometimes I forget there are other cultures here with certain slang words having more abrasive meaning to our own.

#10 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

Eh, I'm sure it's the same meaning... not really sure - but it also depends on who the person is as to how they view the word. smile.gif Better safe than sorry wink.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#11 iamtheman

iamtheman

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:27 AM

I know that word has two meanings.

I definitely wasn't referring to the naughty one. wink.gif

#12 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (iamtheman @ Nov 2 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that word has two meanings.

I definitely wasn't referring to the naughty one. wink.gif

Three meanings, actually smile.gif I know you weren't referring to the naughty one, but some people take insult (more than necessary, that is) to it being used in the way you did.

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#13 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:01 PM

oh gawdammit.... now im curious... what the hell did he say? I must knooooooooow

....oh, and thief, by the way.
Gaily bedight, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of El Dorado.
But he grew old, this knight so bold, and o'er his heart a shadow,
Fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like El Dorado.
And as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgrim shadow.
'Shadow,' said he,' Where can it be, this land of El Dorado?'
'Over the mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,' the shade replied,' if you seek for El Dorado.'

#14 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

Darian I merely ojected to 'getting hands dirty' as in Thieves or cheating. But as for normal fighting that's part of the game. Unfortunately the Mage has the toughest time, especially in the initial stages! Tough time buying Spells, except those that you can get free one from the 'Ermit and the Meeps, Healing, Mana, Vigor Potions. It too me a long time to discover a Gold piece = 10 Silver confused.gif ! crying2.gif ! I think the Fighter has an easier time smile.gif comparatively!

#15 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

No worries, Grand Daddy. Just a slight case of miscommunication. It's pretty hard to stay clean when you fight for your or other people's lives. That was what I was getting at. There is no such thing as a fair fight, the survivors write the history books. Our hero, regardless of his class knows, that sometimes a little bad does a lotta good. But it all depends on what kinda bad you do. It's about perspective really. And now I'm ranting again. Must have something to do with a recent school shooting here in Finland, 1st of its kind in this country. Anywho, I'm getting way off topic now... Sorry.

A good strategy at 1st for a magic user is to soften the enemy with flame darts and then engage in battle. After a while you've got enough money to buy all the potions you need and then just cast away to get the spell points up. It takes a little while longer to max out the magic user, but that's only natural. When you've got enough potions it's just about a spell maxed out a day. Sometimes a little faster even. Just remember, you'll need vigor and healing potions also, cuz magic is tiresome.