• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SierraFan1981

SierraFan1981

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:The Arts, Psychology, "Useless Trivia, Supernatural/Paranormal, Movies, classic PC Games

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

Greetings everyone!!

I recently began a fresh runthrough of the series as a pure thief...which is actually my first pure character...but as I was playing, I started thinking that some shared attributes actually make sense...

For example, and same might disagree, but I can see how a thief might benefit from learning the dazzle spell...the breaf flash of light, especially in the dark of night, would disorient the victim, giving one more time to make off with thier wallet, in addition to making him/her much harder to identify...zap and calm might come in handy as well when things get hostile, or being stealthy is not an option....

And a fighter could benefit from a little lesson in sneakiness...lets face it...you can't ALWAYS bust in through the front door no matter how good or strong you may be...

The only thing I do not like about playing as a thief is I know I'll have no chance with Katrina *sigh*
The Procestuousity begins here!

#2 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (SierraFan1981 @ Aug 1 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings everyone!!

I recently began a fresh runthrough of the series as a pure thief...which is actually my first pure character...but as I was playing, I started thinking that some shared attributes actually make sense...

For example, and same might disagree, but I can see how a thief might benefit from learning the dazzle spell...the breaf flash of light, especially in the dark of night, would disorient the victim, giving one more time to make off with thier wallet, in addition to making him/her much harder to identify...zap and calm might come in handy as well when things get hostile, or being stealthy is not an option....

And a fighter could benefit from a little lesson in sneakiness...lets face it...you can't ALWAYS bust in through the front door no matter how good or strong you may be...

The only thing I do not like about playing as a thief is I know I'll have no chance with Katrina *sigh*

Well, fighters don't ALWAYS bust in through the front door. QFG1 and QFG4 allowed all classes to enter the baddy's lair through a back door. (even though the fighter did get points for entering through the front gate, he gets additional points for using the secret passage) Anyway, I disagree...

Of course, having additional non-native skills to your class has benefits. Nobody's gonna argue about that. But the purist's view (I'm a purist in case you couldn't tell wink.gif ) is that the true way to play (does that sound pretentious or what?) is to have a character with strengths and weaknesses and the idea is to embrace the character's weak points and use the strong points to compensate for them, rather than add additional skills to take away the weak points. From a hybrid-supporter's point of view, it makes sense to add magic spells in case the stealthy way fails. From a purist's point of view, it makes sense to focus on developing the character's strong points in order to try and avoid the stealthy way from failing to begin with. And of course, it IS more convenient to simply add calm and open in order to get your fighter into the brigand's fortress, rather than train several extra days in order to survive a savage beating from Toro. But in my opinion, doing that makes your character class just slightly less unique.

The cool thing about QFG is that it's almost always possible to get past a situation withour requiring non-native skills. That said, the games are surprisingly hybrid-friendly...there's often very few penalties to creating a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-all. In my opinion (hybrid supporters can really go and get the torches and pitchforks out now), it would have made things more interesting if the game lowered the maximum stats of a character with non-native skills. This would have basically created a fourth character class who (like all others) had actual weaknesses to creatively work around, rather than an omnipotent hero who has just the right skill for every situation.

#3 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

I agree with Erpy. I used to play hybrid characters all the time, but it got really boring to me. This is the reason why I never really played as a pure thief or wizard, because my Fighter/Paladin always had magic and stealth.

However, I like playing only pure classes now as it feels like you have to think on your feet more, rather than try to get through the situation by using trial and error methods.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#4 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

I always did find that very logical. After all, a Fighter class built as he is would be more suited to be a soldier as opposed to an adventurer. I always found it completely weird that the fighter had no skill at climbing... wouldn't adventuring, at some point or another, demand that you climb over stuff? I think the game designers finally got that idea in their heads as early as QFG 3 when they put in a fighter-only quest that could solved by climbing, and in QFG 4, it made it a standard skill, although by QFG 5, climbing was severely underused for even the Thief, and non existent for other classes.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#5 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

I would have to say that it is fun to play through as any combination of pure class and also any type of hybrid. That way you have even more character choices on top of the four pure ones.

When I first played, I used to use mainly hybrid characters. Later on I played through as pure classes and found the series enjoyable that way too.

#6 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

Like others, I'm a purist, although I'm surprised there are so many of us, since most posts here tend to talk about the poster's favorite hybrid character.

I initially didn't make a distinction between hybrid and pure classes, as I thought choosing which skills you wanted to have was just part of the gameplay. But I had some problems with importation, and at one point, I was trying to make my favorite character, the Wizard, get to have the scene in the harem in QfG2, so I had to give him some climbing skill and some extra agility to make it across the tight rope. Eventually, it became clear that I was trying to force the game to be a way that it wasn't intended to be. I think the Coles had a specific vision in mind for each character's story, and I feel I've learned that it's better to appreciate each story individually rather than try to combine them.

#7 Etheron

Etheron

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I have always played Purist, also.

Although, if ever get done with maxing out all the pure classes (in every game where possible for that class),
then I would eventually like to do so as a Hybrid, as well, fully maxing everything.

(I already did my Thief play-through, finished QFGII-VGA as a Fighter but just don't have the time to get back to it crying2.gif )

#8 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

I still think it's fun to play through in every scenario, but it depends on how much time you have of course. I'm finding the last couple of years I've had less time for gaming. Hard to believe my last post in this thread was from nearly 3 years ago. Where has the time gone...

#9 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, tell me about it. QfG is a very time-intensive game. When I was in my teens, I used to play this all day in the Summer, and it still took me about two weeks to get through the entire series. Now that I'm an adult, I don't have that kind of time anymore, I'm sorry to say.

#10 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:43 AM

Yep, other responsibilities take priority. Ahh the good old days, when we were young and life was simple. Once you get out of school and into the working world, things really do change. smile.gif

#11 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

When I was a kid, playing Quest for Glory 1 VGA, I always gave the Fighter magic.

Not only that, but I solved everything I could with magic.

Part of the problem was that magic use was very logical in its appliance. There was something you wanted at a distance, so you cast fetch. You needed something opened, so you cast open. And so forth.

I didn't know that the Fighter could force things open by clicking his sword on it. That isn't logical to me. Sword is "attack" to me. Forcing something open isn't an attack.

...However, I play the game "pure" now, namely because that's just more fun for me.

Noticing a trend here.
All is well!~

#12 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

For sure. Each character type have their own method to solve each puzzle, get through each objective, and interact with people. One example is the Magic User/Wizard will try to find a way to open the gate indirectly, the Thief will try to find a window to go through instead or climb over the gate, and the Fighter will do it the caveman (direct) way, ram the gate down. biggrin.gif

Although I do enjoy playing as hybrid characters too, it certainly can take away from the fun in finding all the ways to get through the game. It's definitely worthwhile playing through the games as pure classes too.

#13 crayauchtin

crayauchtin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Anything sword and sorcery -- true story.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

I always played each game as a pure class first, but the characters I imported were always hybrid -- I just figured, logically speaking, if you graduated FACS you would know SOME magic, right?

#14 Eandyil

Eandyil

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

I loved the hybrid option. Granted, maxing all skills legitimately just took that much longer, but that was half of the fun. Of course, that was back when I was still waiting for the next release with baited breath... having them all, it's a little more fun play-through wise to use different characters for the little differences in the story. Playing through now as a thief... never did finish with him, and it always was fun to steal. O.O

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users