31 replies to this topic

#16 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

My biggest problem with the EGA version is having to repeatedly type "sneak""walk""sneak""walk" in order to train your stealth skill.

If you could just type "sneak" over and over again, that would be one thing, but having to type walk between is kinda annoying.
All is well!~

#17 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

I know what you mean wink.gif

But that's the way those kind of games were at the time smile.gif

Eitherway, I enjoyed Qfg2 even while having to type the commands biggrin.gif

But for Qfg1, since I had the option to use the Remake and I actually had a thing for graphics even at the time I begun playing Qfg, I took the Remake option eitherway wink.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#18 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

I think a big part of it is just that, if you grew up with games where you had to type in everything, you really just look past having to type things multiple times. The first game I ever played was the EGA version, Hero's Quest. I like the VGA version too, but as I've said before, I do prefer the EGA version. The typing doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand why some people prefer the point & click "ease of use" in the VGA version. Either way, it's a great game! biggrin.gif

#19 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Women, Treasure, Battles, Spoils of War, Women, Arcane Items, Technological Items, and Women.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm not even in my 30's yet I feel old talking about some of this. The parser style games never bothered me because I've been using PCs since the early versions of DOS. Now that I think about it my current network card has the same speed processor and same amount of ram as my old IBM PC on the shelf in my basement. Damn I used the old PC to do some series Sierra gaming. I wish GoG would get the QFG series, I would re buy them in that new format.

My vote is still EGA, why the red clock in the VGA has become a common hero symbol the black clock is just slick.

Edited by Paladin Wizard, 23 February 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Find QFG Import files here.

#20 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

One of the other things that I like better in the EGA version are some of the small details in the game. Yes, the VGA graphics are more advanced. However, some things were skipped. In the VGA version when you throw a dagger, the Hero just sort of does an overhand arm swing and a dagger goes flying. In the EGA version, you get to see what appears to be the Hero pulling a dagger from under his cape, and then throwing it in the air, catching it by the blade, and then throwing it. EGA graphics, but a more complete animation. The level of effort put into these fine details really helps to make this game great.

smile.gif

#21 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

One of the other things that I like better in the EGA version are some of the small details in the game. Yes, the VGA graphics are more advanced. However, some things were skipped. In the VGA version when you throw a dagger, the Hero just sort of does an overhand arm swing and a dagger goes flying. In the EGA version, you get to see what appears to be the Hero pulling a dagger from under his cape, and then throwing it in the air, catching it by the blade, and then throwing it. EGA graphics, but a more complete animation. The level of effort put into these fine details really helps to make this game great.

The animation put into the dagger throw was very good in the EGA version, and it does make me wonder why the standard overhand throw was used instead.

I'm not even in my 30's yet I feel old talking about some of this. The parser style games never bothered me because I've been using PCs since the early versions of DOS. Now that I think about it my current network card has the same speed processor and same amount of ram as my old IBM PC on the shelf in my basement. Damn I used the old PC to do some series Sierra gaming. I wish GoG would get the QFG series, I would re buy them in that new format.

My vote is still EGA, why the red clock in the VGA has become a common hero symbol the black clock is just slick.

I hear you, there's no school like Old-School. tongue.gif BTW what's GoG?

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#22 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Paladinlover @ Sep 25 2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW what's GoG?

http://www.gog.com/?...e5380a992b2786a

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

#23 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Paladinlover @ Sep 25 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The animation put into the dagger throw was very good in the EGA version, and it does make me wonder why the standard overhand throw was used instead.

Maybe they thought no one would pay this much attention to these fine details. I guess they never met people like you or I. wink.gif

#24 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Zachski @ Oct 29 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My biggest problem with the EGA version is having to repeatedly type "sneak""walk""sneak""walk" in order to train your stealth skill.

If you could just type "sneak" over and over again, that would be one thing, but having to type walk between is kinda annoying.

You don't need to do that. The thief is supposed to build up his Stealth skill by just walking around like normal after you've typed "sneak." Your Stealth skill will gradually increase as you sneak around like that. You generally practice this in the forest. From time to time, you'll get a message saying "You saw a monster, but hid under the bushes until it was gone."

#25 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I'm insane.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I favor the original EGA version, Because I started playing it as soon as it came out and the EGA & VGA versions seem like 2 totally different games and I was already attached to the game as a whole.
Also if you follow the series you'll notice that the graphics gradually improve which keeps the playing/import process on an even keel. Not to mention the fact that you could level every stat and when you import to qfg2 you can be a jack of all trades tongue.gif

Edited by Construed, 30 March 2012 - 02:09 PM.

My name is Construed and I am a Warrior.

#26 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Women, Treasure, Battles, Spoils of War, Women, Arcane Items, Technological Items, and Women.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yes QFG2 really does enable the user to become multi-class. Letting my magic using non-wizard characters buy all the spells including zap.

Find QFG Import files here.

#27 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Arlo @ Dec 8 2011, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Zachski @ Oct 29 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need to do that. The thief is supposed to build up his Stealth skill by just walking around like normal after you've typed "sneak." Your Stealth skill will gradually increase as you sneak around like that. You generally practice this in the forest. From time to time, you'll get a message saying "You saw a monster, but hid under the bushes until it was gone."

Not in Quest for Glory 1 EGA. In Quest for Glory 2 EGA, yes, but not 1.

At least not that I'm aware of.

Edited by Zachski, 01 May 2012 - 08:50 PM.

All is well!~

#28 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

Yes, in QFG1 EGA. To my knowledge, that doesn't happen at all in QFG2, since you typically ride the saurus when you're out in the desert (where there are no bushes). I always built up Stealth by sneaking around the city in that game.

How much have you tried walking around while sneaking in QFG1 EGA? That's how you build up a lot of your skills, by just walking around the forest and then fighting monsters when they attack you. It's just like the other classes, except since you're a thief, you sneak to build up stealth. I'm not saying you'll NEVER encounter a monster. But it's random. Sometimes it says you hid in the bushes until it was gone, and other times, you aren't able to miss it, and the monster attacks you like normal. I can't believe you can spend an in-game day sneaking around the forest without getting this message at least once.

#29 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Arlo @ May 1 2012, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, in QFG1 EGA. To my knowledge, that doesn't happen at all in QFG2, since you typically ride the saurus when you're out in the desert (where there are no bushes). I always built up Stealth by sneaking around the city in that game.

How much have you tried walking around while sneaking in QFG1 EGA? That's how you build up a lot of your skills, by just walking around the forest and then fighting monsters when they attack you. It's just like the other classes, except since you're a thief, you sneak to build up stealth. I'm not saying you'll NEVER encounter a monster. But it's random. Sometimes it says you hid in the bushes until it was gone, and other times, you aren't able to miss it, and the monster attacks you like normal. I can't believe you can spend an in-game day sneaking around the forest without getting this message at least once.

In QG1 EGA I tried to build up stealth by sneaking everywhere in town and on the roads, but that didn't work last time I tried that :-/

But you're saying that you can build it up by sneaking in the forest?
All is well!~

#30 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Yep, the longer you sneak around, the more your Stealth will build up. You just have to be patient and continue roaming around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users