Speed run of QFG1
Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:39 PM
The description of the video mentions that I was going to attempt a 500-point run, but I don't really have the time for it any more. I would have also picked the Thief for that speed run, as the Fighter must defeat every monster to get 500 points (too much combat training), and the Mage must win Mage's Maze to get 500 points (too much magic training). So if anyone else wants to try a 500 run, I suggest the Thief.
I welcome comments and criticisms on the run, even though I don't plan on trying to beat it. I'm fairly confident that this is the fastest possible path, and if done perfectly, it can definitely be done in under 9 minutes.
Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:38 AM
Garrus: They have a way of dying...
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:36 AM
Till next time stay cool
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).
"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.
Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:16 PM
Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:06 AM
Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!
Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:55 AM
Actually, the point of things like speed runs isn't to gain anything tangible. The point is to show it can be done and for prestige. Many fans of games (almost any kind of game) have created "challenges" where games are played either in unconventional ways or with requirements that involve one to be very skilled. A few examples:
- Beat DOOM without firing a single shot.
- Beat Castlevania without losing a single life.
- Beat Zelda without taking a single heart container.
- Beat (insert favorite console RPG here) and keep your level as low as possible.
- Beat (insert favorite console RPG here) by using only the main character. (if it involves multiple party members)
Obviously, beating QFG1 within 10 minutes could be seen as a special challenge too, as would beating the game with a minimum of stat gains or a minimum of points gained.
Edited by Erpy, 16 April 2009 - 08:56 AM.
Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:55 PM
I Am Paladin and Wizard
Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:07 PM
Here's my "Hi all, my name is JackD" post: link
when HQ1 was out, I played it too many times. Amazing game...
At that time, one thing I have tried was to complete the game the quickest possible, in-game wise. After saw your speed run link above on YouTube it really brings my memory back...but I can't remember all the details (I still play QfG now and then, but not yet played any speed run again). I'm sure of some things:
1) I take a different approach. I upgrade my Open Spell to 50 to open the big rock behind the Antwerp. Usually I do this by climbing to Erasmus house, a quick way to waste the Stamina so I can Rest and then start casting Open again. Then Rest again. Then cast again. Then Rest again. If I can't Rest, I climb to the house. Repeat.
2) then without even seeing the brigands in the archery, I just say "hiden goseke" then Fred, the Troll guarding the Bandit hideout to go away. This is why I don't rescue the Baron to make it quicker. I'm 100% sure I can do this before (say the words without even "know" it before hand), but somehow I try again with some newer version and this is not working...maybe it's only working on the original HQ1??
3) to pass he Minotaur: I cast Open first to unlock the door then I move a little bit until the tree (in front of the entrance) shakes, then I stop. The minotaur will look for the noises (because of the tree shakes), but sees no one (me hiding behind the tree heh heh heh). After the Minotaur walks again and turn to the right, I quickly go to the door and open the door. Usually the Minotaur starts to look at me again, but it's too late: I'm already in! ----> This. An excitement like this is what makes me looove this game
The rest is almost the same with the speed run above. I'm pretty sure I finish the game before morning in the next day. So no sleeping, and not yet 1 day pass from the beginning. But I just can't remember whether I use Magic User or Thief....
Well, that's all. I am just glad that after all these years, I can talk about my speed run to someone else
By the way... is the designer/maker of HQ/QfG is/are here? if yes: BIG THANK YOU for the game. THANK YOU. THANK YOU for the lovely weeks/months/years I spend on the game If there will be a new QfG game, please make it just like HQ1/QfG1!!! And I will support the Kickstarter for sure.
Edited by JackDarwid, 11 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.
Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:36 PM
Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:42 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users