14 replies to this topic

#1 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

We've done the "Many Deaths of" in other games, we should do it here. Now that QG2 has a VGA remake, I'm sure the death messages look even better.

When posting the death, also tell how it happens, so people can know how to avoid it.

I kinda wonder how the Pizza Elemental death might look, myself.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#2 Split Personality

Split Personality

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Personally, I like the Dark Master Easter Egg Ending. When you go to WIT, and are asked who you would like as a sponsor, select the black portrait (or use the talk icon on yourself and say the word "dark"). It's quite amusing. (For those who may have blundered in by accident, the Wizards will ask what amounts to "Are you sure?" at which point, you can back out of it with a "No.")

I'll let you experience the whole rant the Wizards have for yourself, but here's the Game Over screen.

But here's the game over message, at the very least:

#3 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

Losing to the Pizza Elemental nets you the generic "What a monster"-death unless you died because it swallowed you.

One new death that caused a bit of a stir was the fact that you could opt to show Jabbar (the smart son of the metalworker who you needed to avoid while breaking into his home) stolen items while he was patrolling the plaza. (he's one of the guards randomly strolling plaza's) Naturally, he'd recognize them as belonging to his family and he'd arrest you. Unfortunately, version 1.0 had a bug where clicking ANY item on him caused this death. (the code that checked the right item numbers was faulty) I've even seen a reviewer who was like: "So yeah, I was clicking an item on this guard and suddenly I'm dead. Typical unexpected sudden Sierra death. I'm sure the game is full of them.

#4 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Aug 8 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Losing to the Pizza Elemental nets you the generic "What a monster"-death unless you died because it swallowed you.

One new death that caused a bit of a stir was the fact that you could opt to show Jabbar (the smart son of the metalworker who you needed to avoid while breaking into his home) stolen items while he was patrolling the plaza. (he's one of the guards randomly strolling plaza's) Naturally, he'd recognize them as belonging to his family and he'd arrest you. Unfortunately, version 1.0 had a bug where clicking ANY item on him caused this death. (the code that checked the right item numbers was faulty) I've even seen a reviewer who was like: "So yeah, I was clicking an item on this guard and suddenly I'm dead. Typical unexpected sudden Sierra death. I'm sure the game is full of them.

Er... care to show me that "death by being swallowed by the Pizza Elemental" death? That one piqued my interest. smile.gif

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!

#5 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

In case you never played the battle, the Pizza Elemental has two forms. Its initial form in which you first meet it is a man-sized pizza with insect-like legs and beady eyes. When you engage it in battle, it morphs into a hulking humanoid monstrosity the size of a 5-story building. When it swallows you and you don't escape, it transforms back into its small, flat shape and you get compressed inside its tummy. The tagline reads: "Out of Shape?". The message is: "You find out you don't compress nearly as neatly as the thing that just ate you."

#6 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

I get the feeling the Pizza Elemental will be a cool enemy to battle, if and when I find the time to download the QG2 remake.

Anyway, any other new possible ways to become a Darwin award in QG2 remake?

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!

#7 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

Not many that I know of. There's new ways to die in the optional break-in house of course, since that house wasn't there in the original.

Dropping your spare clothes and typing "give clothes" in Zayisha's parser gives the familiar "sheik in sheep's clothing"-message, but it's accompanied by a picture of the hero in a harem outfit.

There's a few new ways to die, such as letting Khaveen catch up to you during the "rope race" at the end in the thief's route or trying to pounce on Khaveen but missing while playing a pure thief and ending up in the antechamber. (although both lead to the familiar Iblis ending)

Being flamedarted off the balcony by Ad Avis in the thief's route now gives a correct death message instead of faultily pointing to the Iblis death. (that happened in the original, even though the ritual was already disrupted at that point)

Disrupting the ritual while being protected by Reversal doesn't result in a different message, but the animation is different. Instead of summoning a flame from the floor to circumvent your Reversal spell, Ad Avis blows you away with a Dragonfire spell.

Finally, this is not a death message, but typing "grab boob" into Aziza's parser offends her so much that she zaps your health points all the way to 1. Yeah, that's MEAN magical bitchslap she wields there.

#8 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Sep 18 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, this is not a death message, but typing "grab boob" into Aziza's parser offends her so much that she zaps your health points all the way to 1. Yeah, that's MEAN magical bitchslap she wields there.

Hmmm... does it also mean that Aziza won't let you back into her house again? tongue.gif

My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#9 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

She'll deny you access for a while, but not longer than the usual time frame when you get on her bad side. While it would be realistic she'd permanently keep you out, I figured the fact you'd be blocking out a minigame AND two sidequests was a bit too much impact for what's basically an easter egg.

#10 mademoiselle_meena

mademoiselle_meena

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

I love the remakes!! I really wish I knew something about computers so I could help make them.

The pizza elemental is SO HARD to beat!!! My husband loves a challenge and has more patience than I, so I'll let him do it. Wish there was a cheat to beat it though.

~meena

Edited by mademoiselle_meena, 21 September 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#11 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

That "grab boob" Easter egg... that'd make a funny YouTube thing! biggrin.gif

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!

#12 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:45 AM

Grab Boob! biggrin.gif And to think that Dinarzad's boobs were the only easter eggs! tongue.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#13 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Paladinlover @ Oct 2 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grab Boob! biggrin.gif And to think that Dinarzad's boobs were the only easter eggs! tongue.gif

Er... care to elaborate on that Dinarzad easter egg? You've piqued my curiosity.

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!

#14 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

"Look at breasts" already gave a valid message in the original QFG2 version. (it elicits the same message when typed into the parser in the remake)

#15 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

OK, I didn't notice that the first time around. It sounds pretty interesting, and makes sense, too.

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.