18 replies to this topic

#1 mira

mira

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

I love this game .I can't remember how many times I've played it.Thanks to it, I knew the Quest For Glory series. I knew this game when I was playing King Quest 2 remake.It's an ester egg.When King Graham is up in the mountain, he pokes his hand in a hole. Then the hero of this game appears .The screen says he is the main character in Quest For Glory 2 remake.I thought to myself :"Wow, the main character in Quest For Glory is far more handsome than King Graham. I love him! I must play that game! "

Oh, and I like the bargain system in this game more than WoW's .We can type the number in this game .In WoW, we must click and click and click .That makes my hand weary ! In this game , the merchants have a price . if we bargain a lower price, the final price they accept will be higher.Ex: The price for 3 mana is 9 if we bargain 7 then the final price Harik will accept is 11.This applies with bargaining with Dinarzad in other way. The price for the silver tea service is 14 if we demand 15 or higher the final price Dinarzad accepts is 12.

#2 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

QFG 2 was my first QFG game ever. So much so that I still remember the day we first got it and what we were doing then! Few games have that kind of distinction in my mind. tongue.gif Seriously, I wrote some nice reviews a while back on the AGD forums last summer showing my full appreciation of the whole thing.

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#3 Peter Paladin

Peter Paladin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

This remake is, quite simply, fantastic. Absolutely true to the spirit of the original...it's as if the game were made side-by-side with QG III (graphics-wise) but it has all of the feel of the original II...dare I say it, I prefer this now to the original II....
I call that a bargain, the best I ever had...

#4 Etheron

Etheron

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

I'm near the end now (Thief), and I must say the remake is quite an improvement. A really great game made even better.

My favourite thing was the Keyboard, and how it you know, is a perfectly good INPUT DEVICE attached to a computer.

Like the combined dialogue mode. Having played the original version several times (more than once as each class), I was amazed at the number of conversation topics I'd missed (having been new to text based games at the time), but still loved being able to access all the familiar dialogue. Seems like a great way to transition from #1 to the other sequels, too.

The combat system was tough, but I stuck it out (though I still need a lot more practice) and I think it does add a lot to the gameplay, and even the atmosphere for that matter.

The biggest downside is that Quest for Glory III Quarters of a Game is the next in the (typical) sequence. And frankly (IMHO) even the EGA version made that look ... incomplete, by comparison.

#5 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

You know, I never even thought about the combo-dialogue system being a transition between parser and P&C, but that does kinda make sense.

And yeah, combat is not easy, especially for a thief although the battle system was also kinda geared around the assumption that thief players would figure out how to perform preemptive backstabs, which pretty much turns all random monsters into living clay pidgeons.

#6 Etheron

Etheron

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

FINISHED (Puzzle Points = 500)
(Int. 250, Luck 250, Honor 197)

#7 Etheron

Etheron

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I figured that out eventually, but you get bored if ALL your grinding is done with Uhura.

#8 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

And yeah, combat is not easy, especially for a thief although the battle system was also kinda geared around the assumption that thief players would figure out how to perform preemptive backstabs, which pretty much turns all random monsters into living clay pidgeons.

How do you that? What's this preemptive backstab?

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#9 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

1) Be a thief
2) Be in stealth mode
3) Be in the desert

If your stealth is high enough, you can approach enemies from behind. If you toss a dagger in the back of a monster who hasn't noticed you yet, you get a BIG damage bonus. (big enough to instantly drop weaker enemies and softening up tougher monsters to the point where breathing on them is enough to kill them) Of course, backstabbing humanoids is dishonorable but the honor penalty is worth the massive advantage you get.

#10 mira

mira

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I'm not good at aiming so my daggers usually landed on the desert sand ! When I played as a thief , I always needed a large set of daggers.

#11 xade

xade

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

I too am a big fan of this game. smile.gif

I just ran though it with my mage and notice a particular easter egg put in with entering the water challenge.

Namely, someone floating down the river! biggrin.gif

love it! Quality work guys. biggrin.gif

#12 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Wow, I can't believe the things I'm missing in this game! I just have to play more of it! biggrin.gif

I'm gonna start a pure Thief from Qfg1 and play through the series thumbs.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#13 jpark203

jpark203

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

I played it not long after it was released and remembered hearing about it for years. I would be intrigued, walk away and forget about it awhile, only to return again. Well, it was indeed worth the wait, as I had always been turned off by the interface of the original. Call me shallow, but thanks to AGDI, I was finally able to play this game in its entirety, and it was a blast!

#14 gordon

gordon

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Apr 13 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your stealth is high enough, you can approach enemies from behind. If you toss a dagger in the back of a monster who hasn't noticed you yet, you get a BIG damage bonus. Of course, backstabbing humanoids is dishonorable but the honor penalty is worth the massive advantage you get.

Why so?! To kill a monster (animal) is skill-awarded and to kill a humanoid is dishonorable?! new_Eyecrazy.gif confused.gif It would make a sense rather conversely. angryfire.gif Animal attacks instinctively, whereas human persons needed to be killed by the main character are commonly robbers, villains and thugs who don't delay to kill anyone only for their own enrichment. So why should be dishonorable to kill right them from behind while in case of monsters the same is to be all right?! rolleyes.gif

Apart from that, complete agreement with jpark203:
Well, it was indeed worth the wait, as I had always been turned off by the interface of the original. Call me shallow, but thanks to AGDI, I was finally able to play this game in its entirety, and it was a blast!

Edited by gordon, 15 May 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#15 Nero da Hero

Nero da Hero

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Just beat it again but this time I managed to get a perfect score with the blue frog! Hooray debug mode! I now feel properly entitled to beefing up via cheat commands for the pizza elemental.

Semi-unrelated Question: Any list online of the warp locations?

Erpy (if you're out there) - 1000 thank you's to you and your team. This game was far better than anticipated, and I'm reminded of that fact each time I've played through. Shamelessly, I just also blew through QfG3 and now I'm grossly disappointed with it (opposed to marginally).