46 replies to this topic

#16 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

I only played and finished QFG 2 VGA once, and I still haven't fully explored the game yet. I do remember that in QFG 1 they did open the inn well before Abdullah came into town, robbed of everything he had by the brigands. The stories are slightly different depending on which version you play. The EGA version claims that there was a big battle in defense of his property and many guards were killed. The VGA remake toned down the violence by saying 'not one man died defending my goods' and that they were all over come by sneezing or laughing powder by Yorick or something. Also they don't mention how long Shema and Shameen were in QFG 1 EGA, but in the VGA version, they mention being there for 'three years'... incidentally, 3 years is also the same peroid of time between the EGA game release and the VGA remake!

Amazing I still remember all this stuff... I guess when you've played the game a million times over in the past, you still remember a lot of stuff. I wish I had more time to explore the old games again. Not just QFG, but the rest of the Sierra game series. Oh well, at least I have them all ready and waiting. smile.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#17 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Nov 10 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Note that you'll lose the chance to capture it about halfway of your stay in Shapeir.

But yeah, Blue Frog Mode is a debug mode. There's also an additional debug mode called Battle mode which has some options the usual debug mode does not have.

Great that Blue Frog mode is there. I've a gut feeling that, if I ever get a chance to play the game, I'll be needing it.

Again, may be unsporting, but all I care about is getting through the game in one piece.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#18 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Has it been mentioned that getting through the game in one piece WITHOUT debug mode happens to be among the criteria needed to unlock it? biggrin.gif

#19 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

Quick question. What can you do in Debug mode?

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#20 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

There's two debug modes in the game that have to be unlocked separately; Blue frog mode and Battle mode.

Blue frog mode allows the following things:

- Manually adjust the value of each individual stat.
- Manually adjust the value of all stats or all non-zero stats at once.
- Manually adjust the value of each individual spell skill.
- Obtain items by entering their index number and the quantity to receive.
- Manually adjust the money in your purse.
- Warp to different rooms.
- Time warp to a specific day/time block.
- Manually adjust the value of the many global int variables the game uses, giving you the potential of changing your position in the desert, changing your class on the fly, getting spell upgrades without having to play through the corresponding minigame, setting the status of the elementals, freeze time or make the game clock visible or 9 out of 10 times seriously mess up your game. smile.gif

So it can basically do everything the original debug mode can do.

Battle mode allows the following things:

- Run a test battle with any of the game's enemies, no stats gained if you win, no death when you lose.
- Turn on the damage indicator, so it shows exactly how much damage you and your enemies take during battle.
- Summon monsters in the desert at will.
- Turn on/off random encounters.
- Manually increase/decrease combat speed.
- Enable auto-critical mode, making every hit a critical one. (kills everything really quickly)

#21 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Erpy

Most people forget that the original debug mode also permitted you to enter error logs, get sprites out and place them at random where you wanted on the screen (the problem lies in knowing the view name, which isn't easy if you have no idea what those are), among other stuff. I also heard that you could even edit certain views and backgrounds in some of the older Sierra games.

But that's OK, it's a bit too much to ask for that anyway. smile.gif

#22 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

Blue frog mode and battle mode were remnants of debug features AGD2 and I implemented to test the game with greater ease. We later decided to leave those features in there under certain conditions. The stuff you're describing was never stuff we actually needed, so it's not in there.

#23 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ah, a battle mode, and no death if you lose. Good way to practice battles with monsters!

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#24 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, but in order to actually access it, you need to defeat what a lot of people consider the strongest monster in the game.

#25 Labrynian Rebel

Labrynian Rebel

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

I love the midnight conversations, it gives a lot more character to the Hero and to his Katta friends.
The casting of darts is the Astrologer's version of the scientific method.

#26 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

^ Indeed! Does anyone have footage (or text dump) of these conversations, though? I might want to use whenever/if ever I get to TBF.

#27 tenata

tenata

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ May 31 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ Indeed! Does anyone have footage (or text dump) of these conversations, though? I might want to use whenever/if ever I get to TBF.

Hi,Soulforge89! If you want to use these conversations for your 'Quest For Glory 1: So You Want To Be A Hero fanfic!', you need them right now. They contain all a priori information about QFG1 that AGDI team has gathered. Among my old save games are most of the midnight conversations (starting from day 3) and if you wish I may write them down (If Elsa doesn't mind it).

Edited by tenata, 01 June 2012 - 05:46 PM.

I Am Paladin and Wizard

#28 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (tenata @ May 31 2012, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Soulforge89 @ May 31 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,Soulforge89! If you want to use these conversations for your 'Quest For Glory 1: So You Want To Be A Hero fanfic!', you need them right now. They contain all a priori information about QFG1 that AGDI team has gathered. Among my old save games are most of the midnight conversations (starting from day 3) and if you wish I may wright them down (If Elsa doesn't mind it).

Sure!

#29 tenata

tenata

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Midnight Conversation 08

Talk About Adventures:

You tell about your visit to the house of the wizard Erasmus and his companion Fenrus.
Shameen: We caught glimpses of him at your reward ceremony at Spielburg Castle. Unfortunately, we didi not get an oportunity to speak with him.
Shema : His rat friend seemed to get nervous whenevwr we got close to him.

Talk About Katta:

You ask Shameen and Shema about their stay in Spielburg.
Shema : We knew that setting up an inn in Spielburg would mean we would no longer have the funds to continue our journey but at the same time, we could not afford to spend the winter anywhere without a way to make a living.
Shameen: Before our caravan left Spielburg, we wrote a letter to our kin, telling them we were alright and requesting support to continue our journey after the winter. We paid the Caravan Master to have it delivered to Shapeir.
Shema : Katta communities are very close-knit. We were positive that, if the letter arrived safely, our people would do everything in their power to help us.

Edited by tenata, 05 June 2012 - 05:02 PM.

I Am Paladin and Wizard

#30 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Wait... How come you're starting at 10 instead of 1?