14 replies to this topic

#1 istril

istril

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

I recently discovered an absolute goldmine of classic games: Glenn's Guides.

There are probably a few hundred classic games listed on the right side of the page. Scroll down to the Q's, and you'll see our favorites there, 1-4 anyway.

Click on the game, and it will take you to an installation guide that is absolutely painless to follow. Links to DOSbox, as well as free downloads of the games are provided.

I'm running them all on Windows 7 right now with no problems! Blast from the past, woohoo! I cut my gamer teeth on these games, and they still inspire my tabletop campaigns.

#2 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

You might want to remove your link. Abandonware is not legal.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 WiseMan

WiseMan

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hey istril,

Go to www.sierrahelp.com and download the qfg installers to enhance your gaming experience wink.gif

Edited by WiseMan, 20 July 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#4 perech0n

perech0n

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, Collector, that I have to correct you.
IF you have a legal copy of a program lying around somewhere at home, then it´s NOT illegal to download as many copies of the program as you want, even abadonware!

#5 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (perech0n @ Jun 11 2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IF you have a legal copy of a program lying around somewhere at home, then it´s NOT illegal to download as many copies of the program as you want, even abadonware!
While you may be correct, it's still against forum rules. smile.gif And besides, we all know that the abandonware sites aren't there for "Oh, I lost my game" people. It's for the "Oh, I don't want to pay for this game" people. wink.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#6 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

This is a common belief espoused by kids within abandonware circles that simply just isn't so. Legally, it has no basis in fact. There have been court rulings that have confirmed that prior ownership is not an entitlement to additional copies.

Paladin Shield

#7 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Collector @ Jun 11 2013, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a common belief espoused by kids within abandonware circles that simply just isn't so. Legally, it has no basis in fact. There have been court rulings that have confirmed that prior ownership is not an entitlement to additional copies.

I've always thought the rule was 'You're allowed a backup copy' but no downloading said backup. For my QFG5 discs, I made a backup copy so I wouldn't have to worry about using the actual CD all the time.

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#8 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff- Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and such), Pixar and Disney movies (and Dreamworks too!), books like Warriors and The Mysterious Benedict Society, Avatar: The Last Airbender, slowly becoming a Muppets fan, and alo starting to get into Sierra games (mostly King's Quest and Quest For Glory with a dash of Space Quest as well)

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

What about GOG?

#9 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

GOG isn't abandonware, it's actually purchasing the games new. They're fully licensed, and DRM free. Kind of hard to make a 'backup' of something you don't actually physically own, but I *do* have all my GOG files on 3 separate drives just for safety reasons.

EDIT: So, yeah, I fail to see the reason to bump a 2 year old thread just to try and call somebody out? rolleyes.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#10 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Orion @ Jun 11 2013, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always thought the rule was 'You're allowed a backup copy' but no downloading said backup. For my QFG5 discs, I made a backup copy so I wouldn't have to worry about using the actual CD all the time.

Correct, but with limitations. However, backups have nothing to do with abandonware. Even the term "abandonware" has no legal meaning. Distribution of copyrighted material without prior permission is legally no different than piracy. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act has been used to issue takedowns for all sorts of things that most would consider gray areas. It was used to bring suit against eBay for sellers of legitimate copies of used copyrighted material. Fortunately, the Supreme Court shot that down, so you can sell or give away your legitimate copies of copyrighted games, movies, music, books, etc.

One thing to remember is that while some old games may appear to have no copyright holder, this is almost never that case. When a company goes under, somebody or some entity nearly always acquires the assets, which includes the IP. This is how Activision got the Sierra IP. It successively went from hand to hand until it fell into Activision's. From Sierra to CUC, which merged with HFS Incorporated to form Cendant. When the Cendant scandal broke and the heads of Cendant were indicted by a federal grand jury and sued by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Havas S.A. bought up the remains. Havas also bought Universal. They then created a business alliance between Vivendi, Seagram, and Canal+ to form Vivendi Universal. About this time Sierra had become nothing more than a label to slap on the boxes of games for brand recognition. When Vivendi bowed out, Sierra no longer existed, most (not all) the IP fell into Activision's hands.

I did not mean to go into the history lesson, but Sierra is a good example of the convoluted trail that the ownership of IP can undergo. Almost always, Somebody owns IP unless the owner releases it as freeware or makes it public domain.

GOG is most certainly legal. Part of their process to add a game to their catalog is to track down the current owner then negotiate for a license to distribute the game. The owner will receive a fee or royalties from GOG's sales. When I was working with them for the QfG collection, I offered a copy of the QfG5 soundtrack that came with the Collection series for distribution with the extras that often offer with a sale. I was told that they only had a license for the games themselves.

Edited by Collector, 12 June 2013 - 02:51 AM.

• BrassfireLaMagia likes this

Paladin Shield

#11 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Orion @ Jun 11 2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of hard to make a 'backup' of something you don't actually physically own, but I *do* have all my GOG files on 3 separate drives just for safety reasons.

Of course you can always redownload anything that you bought, at least as long as GOG stays in business.

Paladin Shield

#12 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff- Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and such), Pixar and Disney movies (and Dreamworks too!), books like Warriors and The Mysterious Benedict Society, Avatar: The Last Airbender, slowly becoming a Muppets fan, and alo starting to get into Sierra games (mostly King's Quest and Quest For Glory with a dash of Space Quest as well)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

Aww, no QFG5 soundtrack? Darn! I want to hear Dance of Mystery and Intrigue so badly again, but the Quest studios files don't work, and the one person who has uploaded the soundtrack on YouTube isn't available to watch in my country.

#13 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I had asked for permission to have Sierra music on my site years ago and there was no objection.

http://sierrahelp.co...Soundtrack.html

Paladin Shield

#14 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (Collector @ Jun 11 2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Orion @ Jun 11 2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of hard to make a 'backup' of something you don't actually physically own, but I *do* have all my GOG files on 3 separate drives just for safety reasons.

Of course you can always redownload anything that you bought, at least as long as GOG stays in business.

Which is exactly why I keep backups of them. Especially after that stunt they pulled when they left 'beta'. biggrin.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#15 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Orion @ Jun 12 2013, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially after that stunt they pulled when they left 'beta'. biggrin.gif

Not exactly the brightest marketing move.

Paladin Shield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users