Photo

Which do you like more?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you like more? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you like more?

1. EGA (type commands) (17 votes [60.71%])

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

2. VGA (point & click) (11 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Wasting a nosy person's time by getting them to read the "Your Interests" section in its entirety before they fully realize they could've been doing something constructive with their time.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

I still say I like the looks of the EGA version better. I know, I know...that seems weird, especially considering how I'm always clamoring for better graphics in the adventure game arena. However, (as I believe I already mentioned in a previous post) I really despised the claymation-type animation Sierra used for the VGA QFG1 remake. It looked ridiculous.

That...and like Rath, the EGA version was the first one I played and I enjoyed typing different commands in, and getting various responses. smile.gif

#47 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Automotive Repair, Robotics

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:21 AM

One more little thing for me on why I like the EGA verison better. When collecting Cheetaur claws, you can sell all of them at once in the EGA version. In the VGA version you have to sell them one at a time. If you have 40 or 50 claws, that takes a while to keep clicking away to sell each one. PLUS - in the EGA version you can sell them and end up with gold coins, which are worth more and therefore means you are carrying less weight. In the VGA version since you can only sell one at a time, value of 5 silvers, it means a pile of silvers which really weigh you down.

#48 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking & Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG & especially Strategy)

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

The EGA version has a lot of nostalgic values to it, and is of course much more challanging! VGA has more fun so the choice is difficult...I like both biggrin.gif
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#49 Keapon Laffin

Keapon Laffin

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:books, tv, movies, games, hiking, music, uncyclopedia, fire...

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

I would choose the VGA version, especially now that I can beat the weapons master again!! I think the graphics on the EGA version looked old even when it did come out. The other games from that time period had better graphics in my opinion. I forgot who said it but at least the EGA version does have the whole view of Speilberg when flying on the magic carpet at the end of the game. And for some reason I can only hear the ending music if I set the music options to soundblaster and I much prefer MIDI or ROLAND music...
On the VGA version it is much easier to make money (get and sell an unlimted amount of mushrooms!).

I saw the light and changed my mind.  I prefer the EGA version.  I almost never play the VGA version anymore.

Being lost is a state of having misplaced yourself. This is often done by very foolish people. "Lost" can also apply to a possession or thing that you have misplaced. Note, if you survive a plane crash and are subsequently stuck on an island, you are not Lost, you are f*cked.

My name is Keapon Laffin and I am a Bard.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#50 Skyshark

Skyshark

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:DJing, cars, Texas Hold 'Em poker, Iaido, Jodo, Japanese art and culture.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Much prefer the original over the remake. The remake was a bit too cartoony for my liking, and had more bugs like the palette swap bug that occurred when you entered the centaurs farm north of the town. Plus things like the extra room in the trolls cave that was absent from the remake. And it'd be what I'd use to make a Skyrim mod based in the Spielburg Valley if I were to do so.

"Corrupt, you corrupt & bring corruption to all that you touch; Hold, you'll behold and beholden for all that you've done; Spell, cast a spell, cast a spell on the country you run; And risk, you will risk, you will risk all their lives and their souls; And burn, you will burn, you will burn in hell, you will burn in hell for your sins" - Muse, "Take A Bow"

#51 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

It's that time of year!  Skyshark's come out of hiding!  *waves*  Welcome back :D

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#52 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hey Sharky! :wave:

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#53 Skyshark

Skyshark

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:DJing, cars, Texas Hold 'Em poker, Iaido, Jodo, Japanese art and culture.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys! <waves back>

"Corrupt, you corrupt & bring corruption to all that you touch; Hold, you'll behold and beholden for all that you've done; Spell, cast a spell, cast a spell on the country you run; And risk, you will risk, you will risk all their lives and their souls; And burn, you will burn, you will burn in hell, you will burn in hell for your sins" - Muse, "Take A Bow"

#54 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm finding myself enjoying the EGA version more than I used to, though there are things I don't really like about it.

For one thing, the difficulty's a little obscene at times.  My thief with extremely high health and maxed attack had a tendency to very VERY easily die to Fred the Troll.  The guy can easily beat Cheetaurs without needing to run away to heal, but fighting Fred is rolling the dice and wishing for luck.

For another, I hate how utterly unresponsive and inconsistent the combat controls are.  You act, and your action may happen now, or it may happen in the next second.  Either way, it's not going to happen when you expect it.  So this means that reflexive action is worthless because by the time your dodge or parry actually triggers, the enemy has already attacked, and they attack so rapidly that you can't counter attack (not that you could even if they didn't, because of the aforementioned sluggishness).  Not that it matters because if you try to play defensively, you're just going to die because even at max skill, your enemy's attacks still get through even when they logically shouldn't.

Combat in the VGA version was actually a game.  Blocking and dodging were actually useful.  The only time it didn't matter was the weapon master.

Training certain skills were also easier in the VGA version because you didn't have to type out the command each time, unlike the EGA version.  Not to mention you could train sneak just by sneaking everywhere, whereas in the EGA version you had to sneak around the forest to train it... and at the same time, you needed sneak skill up for things like the Kobold, or the Minotaur.

That being said, there's a lot of other things I like about the EGA version.

1. Retrieving daggers in the EGA version is less of a hassle.  You search a monster's corpse, you get your daggers back.  In the VGA version, you had to quickly "pick up" daggers before combat starts, otherwise those daggers were lost forever.  I have noticed, though, that if you throw daggers at those flying rays in the EGA version, they not only take no damage, but the daggers get lost forever.  So that's not good.

2. Auto-aiming with daggers and spells.  I understand that in the future games this wasn't feasible anymore, but it was so nice to be able to simply throw dagger and watch my Thief or Fighter throw a dagger at the enemy.

3. The aforementioned "selling all claws at once."  I love having gold instead of silver.

So, the EGA version is winning me over more.  But the VGA version will always be my personal definition of "Quest for Glory 1", since that was the version I played first.

All is well!~

#55 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Very good points.  For me the EGA version is the one I first played, and while I don't dislike the VGA version, I think the EGA version will always be the one I prefer.  I have the "Hero's Quest" version, and that was the name I got used to.  Now with the collection series CD the name is changed, but I do still have my old 5.25 and 3.5 disk version.  :)   I'm not sure if I had played the VGA version first if I'd feel the other way around about the versions, but I suspect that might make a difference for me.

While selling Cheetaur claws is a small part of the game, I found that to be a pain in the VGA version.  Especially if you've racked up 60 or 70 claws.  Click, click, click, click... and all the weight of that silver.  Being able to sell all at once was so much faster, and as you mentioned, gold coins.  :)

#56 Dauria111

Dauria111

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

It's hard for me to say, for one I've never played QFG1 EGA, but I have played and really enjoyed text parser games before, like the early Kings Quest and Space Quest games. I actually enjoy text parser games more than point and click most of the time.

#57 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

You've never played QfG1 EGA?! *faints* You must play it NOW!  NOW NOW NOW!!! *grin*

*sneakily installs QfG1 EGA on Dauria's computer and runs away* :P

Don't blame me - I always played a thief... ;)

My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#58 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#59 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

QFG1 EGA is something I think we should all experience, even if just playing through one time.  :)  That's where it all started.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users