24 replies to this topic

#16 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Certain moves give more experience than others. Double and triple slashes actually give worse weapon use experience than repeated single swings/stabs. Jumping low attacks or ducking high attacks give increased dodging bonuses compared to sidestepping and parry actions generally give the same amount of experience no matter what parry-related attack you pull off.

I think maxing a stat out from start until end takes a crazy long time and isn't even worth it. The trouble with your suggestion is also that as your stats get to a certain point, Uhura will start blocking and countering your attacks and until parry/dodge is 140, it has a chance to fail, meaning that waiting for your stamina to creep back up while also succesfully dodging/parrying attacks might not be too reliable, especially if she also starts stringing stabs together herself. (if Uhura feels agressive and you have to dodge her flurries of stabs all the time, you'll still have a net loss)

But whatever works best for you.

#17 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

I've noticed that Uhura's attack patterns get more aggressive the lower her stamina gets, as well as in reaction to how the player approaches the fight. I still haven't played the game as a fighter yet, but my Thief became pretty proficient in combat and my Wizard is getting there (with dodge and weapon use almost maxed).

Thanks for the info on increasing dodge and weapon use, Erpy. I'll have to keep that in mind from now on smile.gif
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#18 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

I think that's psychological. At the start of the battle, Uhura's "behavior set" is determined depending on the value of your combat-related stats. But when the battle begins, the behavior patterns that are used are determined at random. (and switched to another random pattern after a certain amount of time)

#19 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Erpy @ Oct 18 2008, 05:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's psychological. At the start of the battle, Uhura's "behavior set" is determined depending on the value of your combat-related stats. But when the battle begins, the behavior patterns that are used are determined at random. (and switched to another random pattern after a certain amount of time)

Ah, ok. The way I fight her is reactive usually rather than aggressive, and when our stats are fairly matched, I usually end up on to, so that makes sense then. Although, I did manage to beat her with my wizard when he was still pretty raw with his stats; I was shocked, to say the least biggrin.gif

Edited by Matthias, 18 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#20 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

as rakeesh said, i think uhura will increase her difficulty depending on your stat. but when you reach certain limit and your movement is as quick as your respond, she won't be any harder.

as i said, when you first challenge uhura at your low level, she will be difficult. but when you have sufficient stamina to hold on to, waiting for her attack is just a piece of cake. especially using fighter, cause i really feel easier beating uhura at the 1st attempt with fighter after playing as a wizard and thief before. and again, why dodge if you can parry her stab? i always raise my parry before dodge. easier to execute and connect.

but just do as you wish then, erp.
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#21 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

Parry is useful against normal attacks as any attack that can be blocked can also be countered and parrying costs very little stamina. "In the field", however, you definitely want to make use of dodging, since stronger attacks (just about any attack that does not appear on easy difficulty, but is thrown into the mix on normal and hard) are often unblockable and can only be avoided by getting out of the way.

Anyway, Uhura has 3 "sub-difficulty levels" that's dependent on a the average value of your strength, agility, vitality, luck, weapon use, parry (if it's above 0) and dodge. If this value is below 90, she'll only use single attacks and will usually merely dodge your blows. If the value is between 90 and 115, she'll start using her defensive kip-up attack, she'll start blocking (and countering) and she'll start stringing multiple attacks together. She also gets 45 additional hitpoints. When the value is above 115, she'll get another 45 hitpoints and she'll start using her whirling spear attack.

#22 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

err ... by the time uhura keep on doing 3 or 4 combo hits, i already adapted to the situationto dodge or parry all of them. it's very easy to level up your skills with uhura, and of course, why bother fighting saurus rexes while you can do it with her a few times more? they only waste time and energy anyway. fighting jackalmen is better biggrin.gif for pouch's sake. well, i kinda confused, since i practically do none of thief's job but ended up having to finish the game the thief way. why i can't break through the front gate like a regular fighter?
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#23 Split Personality

Split Personality

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (tatsu @ Nov 26 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
err ... by the time uhura keep on doing 3 or 4 combo hits, i already adapted to the situationto dodge or parry all of them. it's very easy to level up your skills with uhura, and of course, why bother fighting saurus rexes while you can do it with her a few times more? they only waste time and energy anyway. fighting jackalmen is better biggrin.gif for pouch's sake. well, i kinda confused, since i practically do none of thief's job but ended up having to finish the game the thief way. why i can't break through the front gate like a regular fighter?

Well, where are you having trouble? The remake is a little finicky about what, exactly, you do.

FIrst off, you have to fight the guards. Specifically, click your SWORD on one of them (not your hand, your sword).

Once you've beaten the guards, click the Hand Icon on the door, and one of your options should be to break it down.

#24 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

The combat system in the game was the best of all the series, and by far the hardest (though QFG 5 did have some moment, it's difficulty was not like this). First of all, try to get your character as high as possible to scale with Uhura first (remember to bring along a healthy supply of vigor pills) and just keep going at it, practicing your stats until they reach maximum or until you run of out of money for the stuff. I haven't played the game in months, so I forgot the exact tactics, but my favorite was to use the backward leap and come back at the monster with an lunge attack, that almost always guaranteed a strong attack.

Also practice your own (I.E. your reflexes) in dodging some attacks, like the annoying dagger throw by the brigand or the spells by the ghoul (who was by far the hardest enemy).

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#25 charlie

charlie

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi, just downloaded the vga version I have been playing ega before this. I am playing on laptop and am having difficulty with the combat system is there any configuration besides the keypad that would make this easier? Keypad does not work on this game on my lapptop anybody else experience ths? Thanks.