6 replies to this topic

#1 nobody1898

nobody1898

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

I don't know how or why it happened but all the numbers on my character page have shift down and to the left. Also my walk Icon seems to have the same displacement.

Is there a fix, can I hex edit my save file?

#2 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Okay, before we can begin to help you, we'll need to know the answers to these questions.

1. Are you playing this in DOSBox?

2. Do you have the NewRisingSun patch for it?

3. Did you install it from the original floppy disk and/or cd-rom (anthology, collection)?

4. Have you done any hex editing at all before this happened?

5. What is your operating system?

Edited by Zachski, 22 November 2010 - 08:43 AM.

All is well!~

#3 nobody1898

nobody1898

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Zachski @ Nov 22 2010, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, before we can begin to help you, we'll need to know the answers to these questions.

1. Are you playing this in DOSBox?
yes, running it on dos box.

2. Do you have the NewRisingSun patch for it?
No

3. Did you install it from the original floppy disk and/or cd-rom (anthology, collection)?
I have anthology

4. Have you done any hex editing at all before this happened?
I have had to before but I'm familar with Hex

5. What is your operating system?
Vista

Edited by nobody1898, 22 November 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

It sounds to me that you may have accidentally messed something up while hex editing. You may have changed a value relating to the position of several icons.

Either way, though, the patches are very useful.

http://www.reocities.com/belzorash/

This site is a preservation of the original Geocities site, right down to the files you can download. It'll be useful for the other games as well, especially the fourth game.

With that said, you'll need to start a new game if you apply the patch, though.
All is well!~

#5 nobody1898

nobody1898

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

I promise you I haven't tried to hex edit anything in my save file or anything else in the game. And starting over really defeats the purpose as it is only this one save file. I have one from waaaaaaay earlier that is fine but I was hoping to save the progress.

Edited by nobody1898, 22 November 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (nobody1898 @ Nov 22 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is only this one save file. I have one from waaaaaaay earlier that is fine but I was hoping to save the progress.

You forgot the first rule of adventure gaming: "Save early and save often." The NRS patches won't address this, but often applying patches can invalidate save games made before a patch was applied. Most of the problems that the NRS patch fixes can be also be done by lowering your DOSBox cycles low enough. Without either you will not be able to defeat the Sword Master.

As far as the odd placement of the items, I have never heard of this before. The only thing that I could suggest is to do a clean install of the game, but if the problem is in the save game, not much can be done about it. You can find new installers for the QfG games here:

http://sierrahelp.co...allers.html#QfG

They will optimally set the the games up and apply all relevant patches. You could try copying your save game files in a clean install with the new installer to see if it fixes it and if doesn't load, you can just go back to your old install.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#7 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

This sounds to me like a particularly odd variant of the mushroom-weight glitch. Certain unpredictable elements (such as having too much in your pack at the wrong time) can cause graphical glitch to emerge in the game. If that's the case, the only cure is to restart. If you'd had previous saves, it wouldn't be a problem, but. . . well, saving early and often (and in new slots each time) was drilled into me from birth. I'd suggest doing so in the future.

A screenshot would greatly help diagnose this, btw.

Edited by Bob Collins, 23 November 2010 - 01:35 PM.

QUOTE (myself)
I forge my sword of victory from the silver linings of my failures.

I'm Arc Collins, and I'm a Paladin. I care because I comprehend.