• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

I'm afraid I can't blank out spoilers here, so I made them as small as possible.  Please only copy-and-paste them to Notepad to read them if you've seen the film! :)

That said... holy cow.  :eek:  I went to see Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug the other night - it had to be that particular night, since the local cinema were showing it for one night only, for $10. At least the price is right! ;)

I'm not sure just what I saw.  I can understand that a book for kids (as The Hobbit undoubtedly is) can't be translated faithfully to the big screen.  I can understand that Peter Jackson is going to put in extra scenes that weren't in the book, because he wants to appeal to the adults who'll be taking their kids to see it (e.g. that whole Tauriel-Kili romance nonsense), and that he's going to put in other extra scenes to appeal to the Tolkien fans (e.g. Gandalf meeting up with Radagast and trying to infiltrate Dol Guldur, to find out if The Necromancer == Sauron).*  I can even understand why he had the dwarves rush in to try and save Bilbo from Smaug; they don't do this in the book, but I guess Peter thought that they needed more screen time and a bigger finale - plus, if he made them do what they did in the book (i.e. sneak in under cover of darkness), the audience might think that they were a bunch of pansies. :P

Believe me, I can understand it.  I don't agree with it, but then again, I've never directed a film, so I shouldn't criticise! :P And, although I need to suspend my disbelief quite a bit, I can understand it. :P

But I just want to understand one thing.  Where in the name of Durin's beard did that Golden Dwarf thing come from? When the film showed that, I just thought, "WTF?!?!" :P I think Peter just ran into a brick wall with that - he started that whole fight/chase scene between Smaug and the dwarves, and he had no way to get Smaug out of the mountain and get the plot back on track, so he thought "Let's put in the most implausible way to get the plot rolling again."**  Has Peter Jackson finally flipped and jumped the shark? :P

(And, oh yes - when the dwarves leave Esgaroth, they are wearing fine heavy armour.  Yet when they arrive near the Lonely Mountain, the armour has disappeared.  Uhmm... what? :P Did the dwarves think that they don't need it, because even if they get close enough to Smaug, he'd just bake them alive inside their armour)? :P

Perhaps I'm being unduly harsh.  I did get the DVD box-set of the first movie (i.e. An Unexpected Journey)***, and when you watch the movie in its entirety (i.e. with the deleted scenes added in), the whole thing does make more sense.  I presume that if I get the DVD box-set of the second movie, it would make more sense too.

But should I?  And should I even make the effort to watch the third movie, given all the extra silly drivel that Peter is so fond of putting in? ;)

So now it's your turn.  What do you think of these movies, hmm? ;)
* Incidentally, I guess I hope that the third film will show what ultimately happens at Dol Guldur - i.e. the White Council drives Sauron away, whereupon he flees to Mordor, thus putting in motion the chain of events that would eventually spark the entire LOTR arc, etc., etc., I'm sure you all know the story by now! :P

** Speaking of implausibility - where in the name of Orthanc did Radagast's giant rabbits come from? :P Rhosgobel Rabbits, my (big hairy Hobbit) foot! :P Incidentally, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, you can briefly see the same team of rabbits under the trees of Mirkwood, carrying Gandalf and Radagast to Dol Guldur from the High Fells so Gandalf may investigate the ruined fortress. Presumably, they carried Radagast to Lothlorien to take a message to Galadriel. *shrug*

*** ...which makes it An Unexpurgated Journey, I guess. ;)

My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#2 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

Personally, I think the whole Kili and Tauriel romance thing is *sort* of a nod to the future Best Friend/Brotherly relationship that Legolas ends up having with Gimli.  Also, I'm not minding the whole romance thing because I heart Tauriel, I don't care if she's not canon. :P

Granted, I've never actually *read* The Hobbit myself, but it was read to me when I was younger - twice, if my memory's right - so I know a bunch of stuff isn't as it should be.  I only remember *nothing* of Radaghast, because isn't he just mentioned in passing, along with the other two (blue?) Wizards?

As for them not having armor, if you had to RUN for your life from dragon, where armor would slow you down and not stop any attacks, wouldn't you remove your armor for the added speed?

Though I will say I think I enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug better than An Unexpected Journey... but let's just see how There And Back Again holds up - the fact that it's using the iconic words for it's secondary title is enough to give me worry for some reason.

• Rath Darkblade likes this

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#3 Skyshark

Skyshark

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:DJing, cars, Texas Hold 'Em poker, Iaido, Jodo, Japanese art and culture.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Definitely don't remember the forge scene being in the book, though I guess it was to flesh out the story a bit more.

"Corrupt, you corrupt & bring corruption to all that you touch; Hold, you'll behold and beholden for all that you've done; Spell, cast a spell, cast a spell on the country you run; And risk, you will risk, you will risk all their lives and their souls; And burn, you will burn, you will burn in hell, you will burn in hell for your sins" - Muse, "Take A Bow"

#4 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Personally, I think the whole Kili and Tauriel romance thing is *sort* of a nod to the future Best Friend/Brotherly relationship that Legolas ends up having with Gimli.  Also, I'm not minding the whole romance thing because I heart Tauriel, I don't care if she's not canon. :P

Granted, I've never actually *read* The Hobbit myself, but it was read to me when I was younger - twice, if my memory's right - so I know a bunch of stuff isn't as it should be.  I only remember *nothing* of Radaghast, because isn't he just mentioned in passing, along with the other two (blue?) Wizards?

As for them not having armor, if you had to RUN for your life from dragon, where armor would slow you down and not stop any attacks, wouldn't you remove your armor for the added speed?

Though I will say I think I enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug better than An Unexpected Journey... but let's just see how There And Back Again holds up - the fact that it's using the iconic words for it's secondary title is enough to give me worry for some reason.

Well, I agree that Evangeline Lilly is hot. :P I can also understand that she was brought in to liven up the cast, which is almost completely male (unfortunately).  Then again, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit as a fairy tale for his little sons, to read to them as a bedtime story - so it's perfectly understandable that little boys wouldn't be interested in stories about girls. :P  Of course, this would not do for a film that's made for everybody, so... feh.

The reason you don't remember Radagast from The Hobbit book is that he is hardly mentioned there.  Yes, there are two other blue wizards - Alatar and Pallando - but we know much less of them than we do about Saruman, Gandalf or Radagast.

I agree that I enjoyed The Desolation of Smaug more than An Unexpected Journey.  Then again, I liked the dwarves' song from Journey - you know, this one.

And then, of course, there is... How The Desolation of Smaug... SHOULD have ended. :P

Definitely don't remember the forge scene being in the book, though I guess it was to flesh out the story a bit more.

I don't remember it either (because it wasn't friggin' there!!) :P  I think it was there because Peter Jackson just couldn't think of a way to end the movie, so he piled up special effects on top of more special effects, and frankly, ended up with a bit of a mess. :(

My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users