#1 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

So, I've recently jailbroken my iPod and iPhone just for one simple reason: A DOSBox port for iOS called "DosPad"! So I've decided I'll share the fun with a (hopefully) helpful walkthrough on how to play the old-school Sierra games on your Apple toys. If I dumbed this walkthrough down too much, I apologize, this is really my first time making an install walkthrough.

Helpful links and things needed:
Other notes:
  • Please use legal copies of the game. We here at QFMG do not condone piracy. Unless your name happens to be Guybrush.
  • Quest for Glory 4 is possible to be played with the CD audio. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is just copy over the RESOURCE.AUD file into the QFG4 directory. Don't quote me on this though, I've had QFG4 to use voices without a CD for so long, I forgot how I did it.
---

I'm going to write this assuming you already have your device (iPod, iPhone or iPad) jailbroken. I'm also assuming you know where your QFG games are installed.

If you're not sure if it's jailbroken, then it's most likely not. What jailbreaking is, in the simplest sense, is a way of removing the limitations your device has.

If you're unsure of the safety of jailbreaking your device, a bit of online searching can show you the risks. Also, as far as actually jailbreaking your device, for this, Google is your friend. wink.gif

Also, please double check which version of iOS you're running before jailbreaking your device, and use the correct program client for this.

------
  1. Once your device is set up with the Jailbreak and Cydia is installed, open up Cydia.

-
  2. Click Manage at the bottom, then Sources.

-
  3. At the top, click Edit. Once that's done, click Add.

-
  4. A prompt saying 'Enter Cydia/APT URL' pops up. Type in http://www.litchie.net/cydia here. Then tap on the www.litchie.net link that's now added to your Sources.

-
  5. DosPad Beta should be your only available option here.

-
  6. Tap the DosPad link, then Install. (Mine here says "Modify" since it's already installed.) Let Cydia do it's thing here, click the "Return to Cydia" link once it shows.

-
  7. Provided you've never jailbroken before and/or don't have it installed, click the search button at the bottom of Cydia. Do a search for "OpenSSH" and install it.

-
  8. Once these steps are installed, now comes the fun part of actually transferring your games onto your device. Huzzah! Download i-Funbox, this program lets you access the file directories on your device.

-
  9. Make sure your device is connected to your computer and boot up i-Funbox. It should show "My Computer" as well as the name and model of your device right below it. My iPod Touch is named Erana. ^_^

-
  10. Click on the Raw File System directory. From here, navigate to the /var/mobile/Documents subfolders.

-
  11. Find your Quest for Glory (or other DOS based Sierra games) on your computer, and simply copy it over. Current saved games should work just fine. Once things are copied over, you can disconnect your device from your computer.

-
  12. Find DOSPAD Beta on your device and boot it up. One nice thing is that DOSPAD allows you to rotate your screen. On my iPod, the text is rather small and barely readable, but on newer devices with the retina display, it should be fine.

-
  13. Use DOS commands to start up the game you wish.

-
  14. This may be the most important step. --> Enjoy!

#2 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#3 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Orion @ Feb 27 2012, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[*]Make sure your device is connected to your computer and boot up i-Funbox. It should show "My Computer" as well as the name and model of your device right below it. My iPod Touch is named Erana. ^_^

*Cough* wink.gif

Wasn't that supposed to be ELSA?? tongue.gif wink.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#4 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Erana's my iPod's name. I've named my iPhone Katrina. My iPad's Elsa wink.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#5 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

Really? wink.gif

Well that actually makes perfect sense! biggrin.gif Elsa is the youngest and the greatest! biggrin.gif

Agreed! thumbs.gif

#6 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Dude. That's beautiful.

My iPhone's name is Glitch, and the lock screen looks like this, btw:

(The profile name I have loaded for it is titled "Echo Five Two.")
QUOTE (myself)
I forge my sword of victory from the silver linings of my failures.

I'm Arc Collins, and I'm a Paladin. I care because I comprehend.

#7 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Haha...my Lock Screen and Home Screen was inspired by World of Warcraft and I made it myself! biggrin.gif It's a 3D Scene biggrin.gif

I use it as my Intel's desktop too! thumbs.gif

#8 SilverEgo

SilverEgo

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

I actually went through the entire registration process for just this post. You seem to be the only other person I've found who has bothered with QFG on DOSPad.

I mainly wanted to share how well this whole process works with one exception. Due to how the mouse interacts and the timed nature of some of the events (Specifically the Mages Maze in QFG1 VGA and the fetch spell for bridges) you may find it impossible to make it through. However with clever use of a file modification program, I used iFile myself instead of i-funbox, you can shift the saved files back to your desktop and play through those parts, then back to the iPad or iPhone.

That being said, thanks for all the posts on this site as a whole. I stumbled across the information after getting stuck with my DOSPad version of QFG 1, and found this place. It was very interesting to see all the side posts about the QFG 2 VGA release, which completely slipped by me, and the Quest for Infamy, the Q6 attempt, or that which shall not be named least the banning happen. It's nice to know there's still a lot of people out there who enjoyed this series.

I'm more excited about QFG 2's VGA than anything. That was one I kept skipping over as a teen because I would get confused at the typing games. They were very easy to get lost in.

#9 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

I think you're confusing QfG6 with QfG4.5 *shrugs* Cancel that. That was a reading comprehension fail on my part. *facepalm*

But thanks for the kind words, and it's great to know I helped somebody biggrin.gif

I've yet to test if the GOG version of the QFG series works fine with the DOSPad client, but I would assume it does.

As for the QFG2 original, I suggest after you get through the VGA remake, give the original another shot, even if you have to use a walkthru biggrin.gif As faithful as the remake is, I still love playing through the original more (since it's my favorite of the series smile.gif )

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#10 SilverEgo

SilverEgo

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

I wasn't going to say anything, I misread constantly myself. rolleyes.gif

I do plan on going through the original 2 soon, I've always regretted skipping it each time I played through the others. The VGA of 2 will have to be on PC from what I can tell, its requirements don't look like they will be met by DOSPad, which is sad panda, but oh well.

Ive been trying to figure out a way to throttle the speed on the DOSPad version so that the timed nature of the mages maze won't be so frustrating, but have yet to figure out an effective way. DOSPad also seems to be at a dead end with development and according to the creators twitter it won't be updated. So it is very much an 'as is' program. I keep hoping someone will snag the licenses and start putting more DOS era games on the Apple store, like Masters of Magic, but that's a separate issue.

#11 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (SilverEgo @ Jul 13 2012, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't going to say anything, I misread constantly myself. rolleyes.gif

I do plan on going through the original 2 soon, I've always regretted skipping it each time I played through the others. The VGA of 2 will have to be on PC from what I can tell, its requirements don't look like they will be met by DOSPad, which is sad panda, but oh well.

Ive been trying to figure out a way to throttle the speed on the DOSPad version so that the timed nature of the mages maze won't be so frustrating, but have yet to figure out an effective way. DOSPad also seems to be at a dead end with development and according to the creators twitter it won't be updated. So it is very much an 'as is' program. I keep hoping someone will snag the licenses and start putting more DOS era games on the Apple store, like Masters of Magic, but that's a separate issue.
It was a pleasant surprise enough to have Monkey Island 1 and 2 remade for the iOS, and I've got hopes that LSL1 will be done for it as well.

I've really not kept up on DOSPad though, as I've not really updated my iPad since I wrote the original post.

As for the VGA not working, it uses a windows based programming system, which sucks for emulating it on devices, but it at least makes it work on modern PC's without issue.

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#12 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Huh. I entirely forgot about this. I keep thinking this qualifies as sufficient motivation to go to the trouble of jailbreaking my iPhone, but somehow I can still never be bothered.

Edited by Arcc, 15 July 2012 - 12:52 AM.

QUOTE (myself)
I forge my sword of victory from the silver linings of my failures.

I'm Arc Collins, and I'm a Paladin. I care because I comprehend.

#13 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Good times. Got to help myself today. My own guide helped me reinstall DOSPad. Dunno if I should be happy that I thought well enough ahead to make this, knowing I'd need it again some day, oooooor sad, that in just over a year, I totally forgot everything I needed to do to go about this.

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#14 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Happens biggrin.gif Good job with the guide there! thumbs.gif

#15 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

One side note I want to add to this:

Do make sure you have your permissions set to "writable" - otherwise, you'll not be able to save your progress.

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users