Photo

Please post all the Qfg Easter Eggs you know...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Guys, I'm working on the Easter Eggs section on our new site - and I need all the Qfg Easter Eggs I can get to put them in the section smile.gif

So if you guys wannna help, post all the Easter Eggs you know so I can include them please smile.gif

Thank you biggrin.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

anything for dear old elsa, aye?

hmmm....

Qg1 (remake)

- one screen right of the town gate, sometimes Earl from Dinosaurs will walk by.
- you can see nessy in mirror lake (not sure which version)
- you can see a submarine in mirror lake (not sure which version)
- The gargoyle at Erasmus' makes a bunch of references (as a matter of fact, every answer except the true answers are from some other movie or book or game)

Qg3

- The Lara Bow references at the Sanford and Son shop(two easter eggs in one!)
- You can run into Laurell and Hardy on the savanah
- Smokey the Elephant
- the music in Salim's shop is White Rabbit, by jefferson airplane... man I was suprised when I found that one

Qg4
- The moose in the adventurer's guild has fangs
- Amon Tillado is from the Edgar Allen Poe story "the Cask of Amon Tillado"
- The mad monk and the necrophilicon are from H.P. Lovecraft stories (it is the necronomicon in the stories, though)
- Never tried this one, so I've never seen if its true or not, but if you wander around for a few days after first coming out of the Dark One's cave without eating or going to any places like town or erana's garden, you will run into Fonzy from Happy Days
- Boris Stovich is based on Boris Karloff (maybe not, but I always compared them)
Gaily bedight, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of El Dorado.
But he grew old, this knight so bold, and o'er his heart a shadow,
Fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like El Dorado.
And as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgrim shadow.
'Shadow,' said he,' Where can it be, this land of El Dorado?'
'Over the mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,' the shade replied,' if you seek for El Dorado.'

#3 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

QfG1

There's a Laura Bow reference in Erasmus' front hall
There's a "cheap plug" for QfG2 in the lamp in the Inn

Um, I think I listed all the Easter Eggy things in the walkthrough, so I should concentrate on QfG2-5.

One of my favourites is the Marx brother trying to sell you a saurus.

#4 'Enery The 'ermit

'Enery The 'ermit

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

QFG 1:
Submarine in lake (Remake) Nessy (original)
Andromeda Reference in the Adventurers Guild

QFG 2:
The whole Casa Blanca thing....

QFG 3:

The Walking Waffle

QFG 5:
Dead Parrot (half Python Reference half play on two)

I feel like there's a big one in four I'm missing but I can't think what it could possibly be.

There's a ton in QFG 5 but I haven't played it for so long. I think It's time to play through them all again

Edited by 'Enery The 'ermit, 12 March 2006 - 11:57 PM.

Thus Spake Zarathustra!

#5 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:17 AM

QFG 4

Igor - obvious mad scientist sidekick wink.gif

The Ultimate Joke, Vorpal Bunnies and I *think* one other thing, but those are Monty Python References.

Good Humour Bar *laughs*

Bonehead's voice is a nod to Joe Pesci (I think I got the name right.. been a while since I've played the voice version)

Hans Frans and Ivan are all voice actors mimicking famous celebs

Tanya is voiced by the same actress who voiced Webbigale in Duck Tales (awhoo oooo!)

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#6 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

QG1 Original
- On the starting menu look at the scorpion: "Congratulations! You have just found the 1st bug in the game."
- Submarine in the lake. It's a plug for 'Codename: Iceman' which IIRC came out at the same time as Hero's Quest.
- Erasmus' gargoyle. There's a lot of good jokes when answering wrong to his questions, but my favorite is when he asks "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" The answer of course is 42, a reference to HGtG.

QG1 Remake
- Nessy in the lake.
- I remember reading there's a reference to Eco Quest somewhere in the game but haven't personally seen it ever.

QG2
- King Arthur lying dead in the desert.
- Persian golfer
- Keapon Laffin. Everything about him and his store, including his name.

There's a lot more, obviously, but don't wanna just repeat and can't remember them just now. Guess I just have to go through the games again. Which is nice.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#7 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

QfG2

There are several instances of the Marx Brothers - Ali Fakir (selling you a saurus) is Groucho, and Ali Chica (who owns the store opposite the Kattas' inn) is another Marx (whose name I forget...) He even tries to sell you a duck - you ask him why a duck, and he eventually comes to "Duck Soup" - a reference to the Marx Brothers film by that title.

Uhura (here and in QfG3) might be a reference to Uhura on the Starship Enterprise (and there's even a Starship Exitprize in the introduction to QfG2).

Harun al-Rashid, the Sultan of Shapeir, is in actuality a real person - one of the most famous Abbasid Sultans that ever lived (766-809). Under him, Baghdad flourished to be the greatest and most abundant city of its period, and his reign and the fabulous court over which he held sway are immortalized in "The Book of One Thousand and One Nights". Here is more information: http://en.wikipedia....Harun_al-Rashid

Ja'afar, for that matter may also be a reference to a real person - the son of Harun al-Rashid's vizier, Yahya the Barmakid. He is not known for doing much other than having an affair with Harun al-Rashid's sister, for which he was executed. But the name Ja'afar, or Jafar, seems to be derived from character named Jafar or Giafar in tales of the Arabian Nights; there, Jafar is the Vizier to Caliph Harun al-Rashid, rather than just (as in real life) the vizier's son.

Suleiman ben Daoud - the Name of Power in QfG2 - is the direct Arabic translation of "Solomon, son of David", the famous Biblical King. Both Solomon and David are, of course, common to and revered in all of Islam, Judaism and Christianity. What makes Solomon such an appropriate "Name of Power" is that Solomon is credited in the Koran for having power over demons, or djinni; this is a common element in later Jewish and Arab legends, and Solomon is often attributed to possession of a magic ring called the "Seal of Solomon". Here is more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon
--------------------------------------------------------
QfG3

Frik and Frak - the two demons in the Lost City - are a nod to a famous partnership of Swiss comedy ice skaters, Werner Groebli and Hans Mauch, whose stage names were - wait for it - Frick and Frack! *BWG* They came to public fame in the later years of a series of skating spectaculars called Ice Follies, promoted by Eddie Shipstad and his brother Roy, which began in 1936 and ran for almost 50 years. Their association lasted so long, and they were at one time so well known, that their names have gone into the language.

Michael Mauch, the son of Hans, had this to say about the origin of their names: "Frick took his name from a small village in Switzerland; Frack is a Swiss-German word for a frock coat, which my father used to wear in the early days of their skating act. They put the words together as a typical Swiss joke."
QfG4

The music in the Hotel Mordavia is "Antira's Dance" from Peer Gynt Suite No.1 by Grieg (but I think we all know that one by now!) *G*
QfG5

Silmaria and Marete are obvious references to ancient Greece; the soldiers seen around Silmaria are obvious references to the hoplites.

The balloon you have to build is a reference to Around The World In 80 Days - in fact, I think the FA even has a copy of that book.

If you look around Marete and various islands at some things, eventually you'll find some of the "Straight from the Leg" lists that Pegleg wrote and published on the Sierra boards, back in the late 90s. I remember reading some of his lists when they were originally published - they were hilarious and enormously popular. Two of the lists can be found if you look at the dryads or at the table in the thieves' guild.
My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#8 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

I recently learned this in a Yahoo news thing, but as a reference in QG3, there was an actual "Sekhmet" in Egypt myth. She was a war goddess.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#9 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

Hmmm... the major figure of Erasmus might need some illumination. There actually was a real person called Erasmus - to give him his full name, Desiderus Erasmus Roteradamus (or Desiderus Erasmus of Rotterdam) - but he has almost nothing to do with the magician Erasmus, except for his name. wink.gif

Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466 - 1536) was a Dutch humanist and theologian - the most important humanist who wrote in a "pure" Latin style. He was influential on Martin Luther who admired him and desired his friendship. He remained, however, a faithful Roman Catholic and harshly criticised what he considered Luther's excesses. He also prepared new Latin and Greek editions of the New Testament, and his most famous texts include The Praise of Folly, Handbook of a Christian Knight, and On Civility in Children.

Here's the obligatory wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus wink.gif

Despite the fact that he has almost nothing in common with the "other" Erasmus, I think that this man is who Lori and Corey had in mind when they chose the purple wizard's name.
My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#10 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:22 PM

Yeah... and Erasmus' familiar Fenris is named for Fenrir, one of the children of Loki in Norse Mythology.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#11 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

Thieves Break in House --- Kareem, Abdul, and Jafarr biggrin.gif

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#12 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:46 PM

hahahahah! now that is a good easter egg!

#13 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

Thieves Break in House --- Kareem, Abdul, and Jafarr

Sounds familiar but just don't know what that's referring to. Anyone wanna let me in on it?

Oh yeah! IRRC in Dragonfire there's a the head of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer hanging on the wall in the inn!
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#14 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

incase your serious, its Kareem Abdul Jabar, 7'something basketball player from a whiles back. He slept with thousands of women and costarred in Conan the Destroyer as Bombata

EDIT: Sorry, taht was Wilt Chamberlin... what the hell was I talking about?

Edited by Jonesy T. Hero, 15 March 2006 - 02:35 AM.

#15 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the legends of the NBA. He played for the Los Angeles Lakers throughout the '80s and his 'duels' with Larry Bird made for some thrilling basketball. He is also famous for his oversized goggles, his size (over 7 feet), his over-the-back hook shots (known as "skyhooks" because they were aimed at an incredibly high level), and his backboard-shattering slam-dunks.

Here's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia....em_Abdul-Jabbar

BTW, Fenrir (the son of Loki) is also known as the Fenrisulfr, Wolf of Fenrir, or - wait for it - Fenris! biggrin.gif Fenrir is a monstrous wolf, the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboða. He is bound by the gods, but is ultimately destined to grow too large for his bonds and devour Odin during the course of Ragnarök.

And the obligatory wikipedia article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Edited by Rath Darkblade, 15 March 2006 - 01:21 PM.

My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users