Photo

Any working nocd for qfg5 patch version 1.2 (not a image)?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:23 AM

I am currently making my games portable and zipped so i can use them in wine and still frequently remove the .wine dir. While quest for glory works with the cd put in (unlike securerom games in wine), this is irritating me in my install less nirvana. Some hacker knows of a no-cd for 1.2 english (or know the hex addresses i must edit and to what?)

Anyway i am a owner of a qfg5 but got rid of the box. Here is a photo of the jewel case as proof.

Edited by SCO, 18 July 2010 - 03:27 AM.

#2 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

I would like to find one, as well, but the only one that I know of is for the German version, which doesn't work with the English. The CD check is just a simple file check on the CD (DATA\CDN.SPK).

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Do you know where is the cd rom driver letter saved at in the install? (hopefully not the registry)

#4 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

The fact it requires a installed quicktime to just play the videos is also highly irritating. There is a winetrick for that but gosh what horrendous program design.

#5 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ok i actually tried it and the german 1.0 crack actually works (only need the exe and the changed qfg5.cfg) - english voices and all.
Annoyances : obviously not more or less bug free 1.2 version, still needs to install quicktime for no reason at all.

#6 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Got a better solution.
1) Install the game (full install obviously)
2) Install the 1.2 patch.
3) (optional) install the windows 2000 patch
4) use the uncdcheck.exe on the QFG5.exe utility from gamecopyworld (scan it for virii first obviously, though i don't think it has one)
5) edit QFG5.cfg and replace the first letter (it's the install cd letter) to "." (without the ").

Only thing missing is a game folder quicktime dll to play movies without having to install that piece of excretory substance, but i don't know how to do that.

(actually it doesn't work - i was testing with the cd still on the drive doh)

Edited by SCO, 18 July 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#7 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Ok the game doesn't seem to care about the volume label since you can play without the cd even on the normal 1.2 patch by copying the data folder to the root of c drive and editing the QFG5.cfg to c - this means it is searching for that file you mentioned on the drive letter specified. The only problem is that relative path current dir - . - is not working as a "drive letter". This will require disassembly to fix i guess.

Edited by SCO, 18 July 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#8 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Here you go guys! biggrin.gif

I haven't tested it yet but usually what they have at that site works anyway wink.gif

http://m0001.gamecop...r_glory_5.shtml

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#9 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

I know of that image, but you still have to mount it, which defeats the purpose of what he is trying to do. @ SCO, I guess you found that the drive is stored in the QFG5.CFG. Believe me, I have already tried much of what you have. By the way, the German exe also relies on registry entries. Even editing these for an English machine does not help. I once identified where in the exe that the CD check is, but had no luck in hex editing it.

Paladin Shield

#10 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

Strange. It worked for me. Maybe i didn't try it with a deleted .wine dir so the english registry was still active (or maybe i did and the exe recreated it). Regardless i just looked at the patch changelog and it would be a shame to lose that - unless the german 1.0 exe is the same as the 1.2 exe % error messages language, if so install the 1.2 patch and replace by the german exe.

I have no way to verify that however.

Edited by SCO, 19 July 2010 - 01:35 AM.

#11 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

Of course, the big difference is that I am not doing it in Wine, but natively in Windows.

Paladin Shield

#12 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

Either the game checks if a debugger present or wine is doing something buggy.
Trying to run QFG5.exe with a debugger present just enters a endless cycle of exceptions while the debugger is present.

#13 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

Probably the only real solution is to hexedit the exe, but every time that I have tried I just ended up truncating the file, not that I have had much experience doing such things.

Paladin Shield

#14 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

I don't felafeling believe it.

I did it.

At least on wine.

Full install, patch to 1.2, don't patch to windows 2000 (i didn't try it there yet).
First edit the contents of QFG5.cfg to . instead of the drive letter (typically D) (there is a \n\r there too but it should be invisible).

This was done with the olly debugger (the game crashed a lot calling user32 dll but continued - this maybe is is a symptom of the windows xp problems (wine by default is windows xp i think)?

With a simple hex editor:
At adress 001563A0
Replace what is there by
2E 5C 44 41 54 41 5C 00
(it's .\DATA\\0)
Before it had C:\DATA\ so you can see it is just slightly modified but it runs in wine without the cd.

What does the windows 2000 patch do anyway?

Edited by SCO, 19 July 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#15 SCO

SCO

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

I've tried in a windows virtual machine now. It gets past the cd check but also crashes past the the Hero statistics screen. However the patched to run on windows qfg5 1.2 also crashes (all of them had the windows 2000 patch applied otherwise they wouldn't even run) so it's probably just the virtual machine.

I need someone to try it - also the windows patch should still work since this doesn't change the size of the exe.

Also after trying it and assuming it works, please copy the QFG5 dir somewhere else, uninstall the game, reboot and try to run the copy - to see if the registry entries have any significance.

Edited by SCO, 19 July 2010 - 08:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users