11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris724

Chris724

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

So since I have a month free now that finals are over, I'm going to do 2 things I've never done before: Play the QFG games back to back 1-5 and write a fanfic on each of them. I've never written fanfics before, but I have an idea of how I want the stories to go. Probably going to add a few headcanon bits in too, up the drama a bit. Could use a few suggestions though, so anyone with fanfic experience can definitely help me out. Here's some things I'm laying out:

1. Story will be from either a Fighter turned Paladin, or a Wizard's point of view. I can't decide which would make for a more epic story. On the one hand, I have a really great story I thought of once I heard this: https://www.youtube....h?v=VEDZBoWHeGM

Bear with me here while I geek out. That is my favorite piece of music in the series, so much so that I made a little story to go with the game. Here's the idea: When reuniting Anna and Nikolai, the old man's ghost has one last request: Enter his house and take the music box, and give it to whoever the hero chooses to love. It will be his way of remembering them, and the gift Nikolai gave Anna will be used. The Wizard, already in love with the beautiful Katrina, agrees. He plans to give it to her when he gets another note from her, which is unbeknownst to him from Ad Avis. Then the whole situation with the whip, the rituals, and the endgame happens and he never gets a chance once she dies. From there he's depressed for most of the 5th game until he brings her back to life, and gives the box to her once he proposes. It's a lot more complex than I've laid out, but I want the hero to have character development throughout the series, not just be a blank slate. As you can see, I've thought more about the story for 4 than the others, but I'll get around to them. In the meantime, what do you guys think of this story idea? Be gentle :P

#2 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Awwww! That sounds sweet!

I almost want to use that idea, but...

1. I'd be stealing it, and I don't want to do that.

2. My canon is different from yours. I have THREE Heroes instead of one in my stories- a Fighter- turned- Paladin named Marcus, a Wizard named Finn and a Thief named Rico. I'm not sure who is reuniting Nikolai and Anna yet, but I do know for a fact that Rico plans to raid his house. However... something stops him, he knows not what, and he decides to leave the house exactly the way he found it. This includes the music box and the locket, of course. It marks the one time he went on a raid, and came back with nothing because he couldn't go through with it.

Rico may not act like he cares for anyone but himself, but deep down, he does have a heart.

#3 Chris724

Chris724

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:23 AM

Sound like interesting characters Soulforge! Rico especially, I love thieves with a conscience. As far as my fanfic goes, my other story is of a Fighter turned Paladin who marries Erana. I have it in my head that the Hero is kind of cocky and headstrong in the first game, kind of like Hercules from the Disney movie for anyone who's seen it. He's still like that in the second, but kind of matures a bit while learning from Rakeesh and Uhura. In the third, he's trying to live up to the potential Rakeesh saw in him as a Paladin, and feels stopping the war between the tribes is a good way to prove himself. He sees Rakeesh as a kind of father figure, considering his own father died when he was young. However, Paladins don't seek to prove themselves, a lesson he hasn't truly grasped yet, as he's still kind of a glory seeker. It's not until the 4th game, where he's truly tested as a Paladin, all alone in a strange world and helping whoever he can. The 4th game is where he matures completely, and all of his cocky brash attitude is gone. In the 5th game, he's a truly experienced, somber hero, and is essentially Rakeesh's equal. That's just a rough cut, I have plenty more. What you guys think?

#4 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Again, I'm reminded of my own characters.

Marcus, my Fighter-turned-Paladin, also lost his father, Ehren Donnelly at age 11. See, Rakeesh needed help in East Fricana. Bad! Remember that whole Demon attack that happened there a few years ago? Ehren was actually called out of retirement (alongside several other Paladins), because Rakeesh sent him a message saying, "I need all the help I can get, my friend." And he decided against his better judgement (because he wanted to stay and protect his family from... well... someone whom you can ask Orion about), to go help his old friend.

He didn't make it. He died honorably in Tarna, just as any Paladin would want to. Since then, Marcus has tried ever harder to be like his father.

You could say that becoming a Paladin in the Donnelly family is a tradition. All thanks to Alistair Donnelly, who was the first Paladin in not only their family, but also in Gloriana! Alistair's fatal battle with the Dragon of Willowsby has been passed down through legend and has been rather... twisted after all this time. In particular, the way his best friend, Lucas Dillon (Finn's ancestor!), has been portrayed is completely inaccurate. Instead of Lucas being a kind, gentle and intelligent young Wizard who just made an honest mistake (partially through a miscalculation and possibly partially through an Augment Ring kept absorbing the Magic)... is instead seen as a monster!

Meanwhile, Fritz Larron (Rico's ancestor!), has been lost to history, except for the Thieves who keep his stuff heavily guarded and locked away. Then again, perhaps this is for the best for Fritz. After all, would a Thief really WANT to be noticed by everyone? Not if you're a good one who wants to last long in the Guild.
  • Orion likes this

#5 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

My guy, Devon, was a novice in magic and sword play from a town named Betelgeuse.  He was a cocky 18 year old, and a bit headstrong when he visited Spielburg, but the things he saw there quickly made him 'sober up' his act.  After first being scared $H!&less by running into Brauggi, he then has to deal with a talking skull, ogres, trolls, Baba Yaga, the Kobold... there were times where things got a bit too much for him, but he trekked on, continued on his quest.  It's what F.A. told him to do in his guidebook, after all!  He didn't really expect to hit it off with Spielburg's version of the 'Damsel in Distress'.

Shapeir came, and he found himself surrounded by friends - which was a nice comfort after Spielburg.  And then the dangers of the Elementals started.  If it wasn't for his new friends Aziza, Uhura, and Rakeesh calming him each time, he'd probably not have made it.  But his persistence paid off - he saved both cities, defeated the evil Ad Avis, and to top it all off, Rakeesh found him worthy enough to become a Paladin - AND the Sultan had chosen him as heir - he even took a 'royal' name of Orion al-Rashid!  Life was looking good!

Three months later, Kreesha gave word of troubles in Rakeesh's homeland - and off they went!  Trekking through the Savannah.  This was an adventure unlike his other two - this one required a bit more diplomacy - and a LOT of traveling.  He joined the Simbani tribes as a warrior, and helped settle the discord between the Simbani and Leopardmen.    He also managed to find himself a wife!  Who quickly left himself for one of his friends.  Bah!  But alas, as soon as he and his friends had taken care of the threat, a dark magic came over him...

... and he found himself in a dark, dreary cave.

Bracing himself, he fought his way out, seeing a few horrors he wish he hadn't - and then the glorious (if slightly swampy) smell of fresh air hit him as he escaped the cave.  He absolutely loved the sight that greeted him - a gorgeous woman was there to welcome him!  He was really going to like this place, if not for her alone.

But then the dreams started, sometimes pleasant, sometimes nightmares.  He ran on lack of sleep most days, even when he was tired, he trudged on - helping the spirits of both Piotyr and Elyssah, and earned himself a new Paladin Sword in the process.  He even made a connection with the spirit of Erana!

He looked forward to the nights when he would meet his new friend Katrina - but soon the truth about her was revealed - and an old nemesis was part of her scheme.  But it seemed he had some charm to him - he actually won over the heart of the Dark Master, the vampire Katrina - who sacrificed herself so he could live - and defeat Ad Avis once and for all.  It was with a heavy heart that he celebrated with the people of the valley.  He left Elsa in Spielburg, lost his wife to another in Tarna, and again lost Katrina - because even though she did lie to him, he found he truly cared for her in return.

Erasmus saved him from wallowing in self-pity, and summoned him to Shapeir - gave him purpose and reason - another quest to get his mind off things.  Even his father chipped in some money for him to join the Rites - and it wasn't until he left the Hall of Kings that he realized just how many friends he had made along his journeys.

He was elated to run into Elsa, and after a few visits, he knew - right there - that she was the one for him all along.  Even when it came to the Rites, he helped her first.  And let's not forget those times she snuck into his room at night.  *clears throat*

He braved the depths of Hell itself, and was given a very tough choice of saving one of two souls - both of whom he loved, but in two completely different ways:  Erana, the half-fae, whom he found a connection to, and found he cared deeply for, and Katrina, the woman who sacrificed herself for him because of love.  In the end, his heart regretfully chose Erana - knowing full well the good she could do if she was to come back.

The nightmares he suffered the following weeks took a toll on him.  He became a bit more hardened, and it was Erana and Elsa, though separately, that helped ease his pain.

When all was said and done, he was offered the crown - and he accepted under one condition - if Elsa was a winner alongside him - as equal co-ruler and as his Queen.  He had proposed in front of the whole city.  She gleefully accepted.

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#6 Chris724

Chris724

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Wow...that story tears mine to pieces Orion. I especially love the adopting of a royal name when becoming prince. The only thing I can't think of is why a paladin would accept the throne, since it's not the paladin-y thing to do.

#7 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

See, that's why he wanted Elsa to accept with him - not to just be his wife - a "Queen consort"  - with no power behind her name.  With her being a true Queen, he can (albeit reluctantly) head off on his heroic Paladin duties and NOT leave Silmaria ruler-less in his absences, and still have a place to come home to, and raise a family at.

Besides, we all have our own head-canon of the series!  Mine actually extends past the end of the games and continues almost twenty years later >.>

It's really the little things, like how I had Devon/Orion actually fall for Johari, or your music-box idea, that make each and every story of the Quest for Glory story so unique and beautiful!  Heck, I've been tempted to try and write a story about Devon Aidendale/Orion al-Rashid's adventures throughout the games myself in past years, but I already have two stories I'm working on, and at times, slowly fidgeting with a third.

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#8 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have some fanfic ideas, though I wish I could make them into a flash animation series instead of a story series, but it's probably for the best.

This fanfic hasn't been written yet because I'm still trying to figure the dynamics of everything out in my head, and I've got other stories I've been doing, but anyways, here it is.

Kanos, Magus, and Alfort of the Silveresti family are triplets, identical in appearance but not in mannerisms.  Kanos has always been the one to stick up for his brothers, Magus is the one who spent most of his time (free or otherwise) at the library learning how to read, and Alfort has always been the one to get himself in trouble with the other kids.  They grew up and discovered the FACS, each deciding to take a different field.  Kanos, of course, studied the art of sword and shield.  Magus got help from a local enchanter and learned how to use magic.  And Alfort... well you can guess what he chose for his career, though he fancied himself a "treasure hunter" when in front of his brothers.

All three of them dearly want to be heroes, even the scrappy Alfort, and were eager to begin their first adventure after graduating from the FACS.  They go to Spielburg.

There, though, they end up meeting a shadowy figure.  One who wields a sword and throwing daggers as if they were extensions of his will.  As the heroes travel, they eventually discover Brutus, the Brigand who's in league with Bruno.  And the shadowy figure leaps out of the shadows and slays Brutus with a sword through the back.  The figure reveals himself to be a brigand as well, one known simply as "Raven", who pledged his loyalty to the leader of the Brigands.  He's the Fighter/Thief hybrid of the story, and serves as Kanos's rival.  Where Kanos becomes a Paladin, Raven stays a Fighter, eager to prove his worth without fancy powers or enchantments - and boy can he prove his worth.  He ends up becoming more heroic after the Brigand Leader is revealed to be Elsa von Spielburg, but he's definitely more the "anti-hero" type.

Other character ideas I had involve a Gnomish Trickster, a Mage/Thief who likes to dazzle his audience while razzling their pockets, as well as an Exiled Leopardman Fighter/Mage who fights with spear and spell, and sometimes turning himself into a Leopard to fight with tooth and claw and spell.

There would be some alterations to the story of QFG to add some variety, though.  For instance, Kanos would receive Soulforge before heading out to Raseir, given to him by Rakeesh to protect him.  In the battle against Khaveen, after Kanos spares his life and moves on to stop Ad Avis, Khaveen tries to stab him in the back, and that's the moment Kanos would realize himself as a Paladin, Soulforge glowing blue with an honorable flame as he retaliates, slaying Khaveen.

Of course the most important alteration is that, effectively, all three heroes' stories are acting simultaneously.  Kanos and Magus might find that Alfort has disappeared somewhere, only for him to reappear in the most opportune place at the most opportune moment.  Alfort might check out the creepy castle before anyone else does, only to discover Katrina's true identity... which he forgets immediately afterwards due to the enchantment that Katrina placed on all three heroes with her mere presence, preventing them from divining her true intentions.

What to do when Kanos and Magus realize that Alfort is a thief?  How to keep him in-character without compromising the characters of his brothers?

All three of them have destined loves, too.  Kanos falls in love with Erana, Magus with Katrina, and Alfort with Elsa.  Elsa becomes High King (Queen?) of Silmaria, Alfort is the Chief Thief and her husband (so he's the Prince Consort, of sorts), Magus returns to Mordavia with Katrina where they seek to offer their magical expertise, and Kanos and Erana travel the world, establishing areas of peace and fighting the remaining forces of darkness.

• Orion likes this
All is well!~

#9 Chris724

Chris724

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Well I've thought of one little plot point I could add that makes sense of an issue I've had for awhile. Why does the Sultan randomly adopt the hero when he already has a father? My answer: the sultan is his real father. My guy never knew his father, lived with his mother in willowsby. His mother was a merchants daughter, met the sultan disguised as Omar when they were trading in Shapeir. Fell in love, got pregnant, the whole 9 yards. On her last day before leaving Shapeir she and her father met the Sultan, and she discovered who she was. Said a final goodbye, and the sultan never knew he had a son until she wrote him, and they kept a correspondence. Thus, when the hero arrives the sultan recognizes his description, and later formally recognizes him as his son.
  • Orion likes this

#10 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Interesting concept there, Chris! :D

And Zach, the best thing to do about them finding out about Alfort's extracurricular activities is to write and establish persona's for the characters, and figure out how the banter goes between them.  See how they play off each other in  your dialogue to see how you think they'd initially react :)

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

#11 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Interesting concept there, Chris! :D

And Zach, the best thing to do about them finding out about Alfort's extracurricular activities is to write and establish persona's for the characters, and figure out how the banter goes between them.  See how they play off each other in  your dialogue to see how you think they'd initially react :)

If I do it like that, though, Kanos gets pissed that he's basically been benefitting from funds stolen from innocent people, Magus tries to play peacemaker, and Alfort refuses to change.  Kanos refuses to let Alfort leave the group because he wants to protect him, but he doesn't want him to steal from innocent people anymore, Alfort doesn't even bother trying to justify his activity, and aierog;je/'pokfcm'apnhgrej'igokpovkeaovinhrje

That's where the logic snarl hits.  It's not the biggest deal, though.

I have toyed with the idea that they've known all along and are just pretending, but that doesn't sit well if Kanos is a paladin.

I suppose the option is that Kanos *doesn't* become a paladin...

All is well!~

#12 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well, Marcus (one of my characters) is a Paladin, and he's still friends with Rico who is a Thief. He's known for quite awhile that his parents were Thieves, and recently (like, right before Spielburg) learned that Rico has been one for a year now and continuing the "Family Tradition" as Rico puts it.

Marcus doesn't judge him, and he's okay with it as along as he doesn't go around senselessly murdering people for no reason or their loot (which defeats the purpose of purloining in his opinion since you're supposed to avoid being detected at all and killing does that).

The fact that Marcus, Finn and Rico all grew up together in the same hometown helps, I'm sure.