• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, mythology, philosophy, history...

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

Hey, has the death screen for getting killed by the thieves in the alley been posted yet? I have a vague recollection that if you keep bugging them they get tired and you get a dagger in your torso...
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#32 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:57 AM

Doesn't look like that one has been posted. You are correct, you can get killed in the alley.

The one with the Brigand Leader looks familiar - I think I have gotten that death message... more like an error message when trying to leave the Thieves' Guild. I typed "Climb Ladder" and received that message or something similar about a program bug. I know I used to get the message occasionally back in the good old days with Hero's Quest on the Amiga 2000.

#33 oceansoul324

oceansoul324

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

Hmm. there IS a death screen that you get when you return to the brigands after stealing their treasure. I tried capturing it. Oh, and I'm new.

#34 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (oceansoul324 @ May 11 2006, 04:05 PM)
Hmm. there IS a death screen that you get when you return to the brigands after stealing their treasure. I tried capturing it. Oh, and I'm new.

Greetings! Welcome to the forums. smile.gif

#35 oceansoul324

oceansoul324

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

Haha thanks.

Me and my siblings been playing this game/series since I was 8/9, so for about 10 years now.

#36 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:37 AM

You're welcome. I've been playing for about 16 years now.

Wow, that is a long time isn't it? I guess I just never grew up. wink.gif

#37 Spikey

Spikey

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Oh, just ask me.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:52 AM

Nice guys, though off the top of my head I can think of like 20 plus more deaths.

Superb work with the programming bug one, that's actually one I've never heard of!

And, the Graveyard death is completely different in the EGA version, and there's also another death you can get that isn't present in the VGA version. Mainly because, the VGA version sucks smile.gif

- Spike
Sierra Music Central - your place to visit for Sierra soundtracks of yore. Still updated (every so often) after 10 years!
New QFG music coming in 2012/13.

My name is Spike and I am a Warrior.

Warrior Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#38 Crowley

Crowley

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Ghost_Rider @ May 11 2006, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't look like that one has been posted. You are correct, you can get killed in the alley.

The one with the Brigand Leader looks familiar - I think I have gotten that death message... more like an error message when trying to leave the Thieves' Guild. I typed "Climb Ladder" and received that message or something similar about a program bug. I know I used to get the message occasionally back in the good old days with Hero's Quest on the Amiga 2000.

I always got that death in the PC version when I tried leaving the guild with a non-thief character.

#39 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Geeze, have I been gone THAT long?!

Gaia Online is more addictive than I thought!

Anyway... good work on these so far.

Um, any Death Messages if you get eaten by Baba Yaga?

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#40 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:56 AM

Next time I am playing I will keep Baba Yaga in mind. I have been playing a bit this week, but it is too hard to keep track of what we have and what we are missing.

#41 Eric_Meisterson

Eric_Meisterson

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:I am not currently interested in my interests. If my interests happen to change, you may find it interessting to learn that I will still not be interested in them. Interestingly enough, though intersting, my interests are - in fact- not all that interesting to begin with. I do, however, find it interesting that you are interested enough in my interests to ask. And for that...<br />... I will kindly impolite emission of wind in your general direction.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

Holy crap are there a lot of ways to die! I don't have 'screenshot' technology, but I will try to list all the ones I know.

Town of Spielberg:

If you attempt to fight the Sheriff, or his goon, you’ll obviously be arrested.

Trying to kill the shopkeeper of the Dry Goods Store led to a quick death in the original EGA version (he is not as innocent as he appears).

Trying to kill the thieves in the alley will prove that Erana’s protective spell over the town missed a few spots.

Picking a fight with the barkeep or the goon in the tavern once too often is a good way to prove/disprove the presence of God.

Being thrown out of the bar for being drunk too may times and landing on one’s face fifteen times in a row tends to shorten one’s life expectancy.

Consuming Dragon’s Breath, of course! Talk about going out in a blaze of glory!

Standing in front of the Chief Thief when he is throwing daggers is like standing in front of anyone else who is throwing daggers, and is not recommended for those who do not wish to breath through their chest.

Trying to kill the Chief Thief also proves Erana wasn’t all that good at big protective spells.

Falling into an open grave - well, that sort of speaks for itself.

Being ‘embraced’ by the spirits of past townsfolk may feel more like getting the cold shoulder (happened to me outside the graveyard once).

Unsuccessfully practicing your lock picking skill on front doors too many times in a row will get you noticed; which is not bad if you want guaranteed housing for the rest of your adventuring career.

Making too much noise inside a house will likewise attract unwanted attention. Go figure!

Opening any of the bedroom doors in the Sheriff’s house triggers a very funny animation sequence, especially from the balcony. You will, of course spend a lot of time familiarizing yourself with the interior of the local hoosegow.

Trying to kick the old lady’s cat will give you more than bad karma!

Ignoring the old lady’s cat will similarly cause problems, as cat’s are notoriously determined to make you notice them.

Trying to kill Bruno is not usually good, unless you are going for the ‘distinguished decay’ look.

Finding Bruno while he is leaving his ‘secret meeting’ will probably make him overreact.

Interrupting Bruno’s ‘secret meeting’ will make him overreact.

Trying to sleep in the alley will, once again, prove that Erana’s spell is about as good as a glass shield.

‘Enry the ‘Ermit:

Being hit by ‘Enry’s door one too many times will give you a head-ache, then relive it, permanently.

Falling off the ledge too many times will cause some kind of fatal injury. Watch out for that sudden stop at the end!

Spielberg Castle:

When you are not feeling very healthy, resting underneath a lowering portcullis should be added to the list of ‘Instant Death’ solutions.

Falling off the castle wall too many times will get you saying to yourself, “Self,” you says, “Why did I not practice climbing something far closer to the Earth than this?”.

Picking a fight with the guards will only accomplish more guards quickly rushing the scene. The lazy bums put up a much better fight when they are showing up in force.

Trying to kill the Baron is also on the ‘Instant Death’ list.

Healer’s House:

The only way I have ever managed to die here (aside from starvation) is from falling from the tree too many times, which has the same result you would expect.

Brauggy’s Alcove:

Running until you can’t run no more (because you fell and broke something vital).

Trying to throw spells at Brauggy until you become nothing more than a human golf ball.

Trying to throw anything else at Brauggy has the same effect.

Refusing to barter with Brauggy (typing ‘no’ in some versions) also has the same relative effect.

Spielberg Forest:

Being paid a visit by the Night Gaunt by trying to sleep just about anywhere outside of town (with a few exceptions), is a sure fire way to say, “Get ready afterlife, ‘cause here I come!”.

Allowing one’s self to be killed by a goblin, minotaur, troll, cheetaur, kobold, ogre, bear, saurus, saurus rex, mana ray, brigand or moose is easier than it may seem. Just kidding! A saurus is way too weak to actually kill anyone (except Hans Halfwitten).

Mount Zauberberg (Magic Mountain):

You can overuse your lungs. To prove it, climb to the top too many times, without rest. Same affect as overexertion (see below).

Meep’s Corner:

I tried hard, but there is no specific way to die here that is not mentioned anywhere else.

Fairy Ring:

Fairy’s are pretty… but tick them off or get too close to their mushrooms and you’ll wind up dropping from Boogie Fever!

Spore Spitting Spirea Plant:

Falling from a cliff, over and over again is a sure-fire way of getting yourself admitted to the Dead Book.

Other deadly possibilities are mentioned elsewhere.

Dryad’s Grove:

Warning: Dryads love the wild! Do not try to kill any beautiful stags, exotic plants or the dryad herself! Unless you are really interested in experiencing re-incarnation first hand.

Erana’s Peace:

Aside from starvation (which is hard to do with a daily supply of food at hand) and the indomitable Purgatory Bug, I have never actually managed to die here.

Kobold Cavern:

Fight the bear - and you may win. But, you will probably not enjoy the victory much. So, feed the bear instead! Just make sure you stay far enough back that you don’t become what you are feeding it.

Nearly being mauled by a cave bear and being peppered with spells from every angle by an ugly, loathsome, obnoxious, slimy little cretin of a kobold is bad enough; but, surviving all of that just to get blown up by an invisible chest is almost enough to make one want to throw in the tunic!

Note to self: Do not eat anything found inside the layer of something called a kobold.

Goblin Camp:

Oh, you’ll fight all right! But, all of the ways to die here have been previously mentioned. However, I believe the message is a little different than when you get slaughtered elsewhere.

Brigand Fortress:

Antwerps are funny looking, sure, but don’t start poking fun at it, it might take you seriously!

Brigands are, oddly enough, not the most hospitable of creatures. So when using the front door, remember not to stand still too long, or you may find yourself with more orifices than when you arrived.

Loitering and sleeping on the property is permitted, but only for corpses (already posted here).

When approaching the front gate, make sure to ring the bell, they love it when visitors do that (also already posted here)!

When traveling about the grounds, make sure to step over the wires, or your surprise might not last long.

Standing around too long when brigands are bursting through every portal in the room has also made it to the ‘Instant Death’ list.

There is nothing more embarrassing than a hero who can’t navigate a simple M. C. Escher maze while being pummeled with boxing gloves and scrolls by a surly gnome.

Oh, wait! The hero that dies because he didn’t bother to apply the brakes during the ‘Perpetual Rolling’ ride in the maze is significantly more of a goof.

Finally, the brigand leader is HOT! But don’t just stare, or that jaw of yours will be hanging there, permanently.

Baba Yaga’s Hut:

Who would of thought that standing under a giant hut with chicken legs, while it is trying to sit for you, would be a bad idea?

Baba Yaga only likes two kinds of food, silent and disobedient. Speak up and always agree to anything!

Another note to self: When you visit an angry, cannibalistic ogress bent on your destruction - bring a friggin’ magic mirror!

When Baba Yaga says, “Be back by midnight!” – be back by midnight. Unless, of course, you like green skin and warts…

Anywhere:

Picking your nose too much without enough skill (already posted here).

Try typing the cheat code and then setting your health to zero and entering any fight (you will usually die immediately).

Pelting yourself with rocks, daggers or flame darts until your damage ridden body collapses into a useless heap of monster luncheon meat is always a hoot.

Stay away from the brown acid! Eating too many magic mushrooms or toadstools is definitely a one-way trip.

Forcing your character to stay awake and starve for 312 consecutive game days counts as losing a life (it actually took that long for me, once).

Among the things that make you go, “Hmmm.” Overexerting yourself is not only painful, but one of the side affects is actually death.

Messing with the Tandy drivers on an IBM and altering the jumper settings on your CGA card so that it produces 16 color graphics causes the game to summon the might Purgatory Bug which forever traps you in one screen until you either commit Harry Carry or expire by some other means.

And last, but not least, right-clicking on random pixels:

“By clicking on this spot on the screen you have begun an irreversible process that will destroy all life as we know it. Have a nice day!”

(Not actually a game death, but a classic demise just the same.)

Ooh! I almost forgot the best of them all. There is ocassionally a death screen that pops up thats says your character has been killed bya bug which has infiltrated the game and killed your character. When you click the 'Load Game' button, it tells you it was all just a joke and goes back to the game. This one invariably appears only when entering another screen and is entirely random.

Edited by Eric_Meisterson, 11 November 2007 - 06:34 AM.

"Light does not require darkness to exist, rather, darkness can not exist where the light doth reign."
- The Undanted Zephyr (a.k.a. Eric Meisterson)

"Buttkicking for goodness!"
- Minsc

#42 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

That is a great list! Now we have a checklist of things to watch for. Thank you for sharing! beerchug.gif

#43 Crowley

Crowley

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Trying to attack 'Enry will show you just how good he is with his magic.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users