11 replies to this topic

#1 Supernaut

Supernaut

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

So I've been playing Quest for Glory 3 and am at the part where the monkey brings you to the monkey village. It will be easy to see if I show you a play through video. Easily seen from 16:35 in this play through video. Play Through

You ask the monkey for help. It brings up the subject "rope" and the monkey tells you, you don't need rope. Then if you ask again the option "vines" comes up, and progress happens... But not for me. I ask for "rope", get the "don't need rope" answer. And when I ask again I just get the question "rope" with the same answer over and over in an endless loop and can't get any further. It must be a bug. I tried loading an older game from before when you get the spear. When I got to the monkey the same thing happened.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known issue? If so is there a game save I could download somewhere at this point so I don't have to start the game over, perhaps just to hit the same problem again?

Also I am carrying rope in my inventory. I read in a walkthrough the rope is not necessary in the game. Could that trigger the bug?

I'm playing with Scumm.

#2 Thepal

Thepal

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

So you're trying to get up to the monkey village, yes? If you don't need rope, that probably means you either can climb or cast levitate. Have you tried climbing the tree or casting levitate?

#3 Supernaut

Supernaut

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yes I'm trying to get up to the monkey village. Climb doesn't work. I'm playing as a fighter/paladin and don't have the levitate spell.

In the line of questioning according to more than one play through video I watched, after you "ask about" "rope" you should be able to "ask about" "vines" and so on until he produces a swing vine for you. However I can only ask about "rope" in an infinite loop. No other choices will appear.

#4 Zachski

Zachski

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Supernaut @ Aug 3 2012, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I'm trying to get up to the monkey village. Climb doesn't work. I'm playing as a fighter/paladin and don't have the levitate spell.

So, do you have the Climbing skill, or is it at 0?

And are you sure you don't have the levitate spell?

Is your game patched?
All is well!~

#5 Supernaut

Supernaut

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have 0 climbing skill. My magic abilities are: Detect magic, zap, flame bolt, force bolt.

Patched? I have no idea. I can't remember where I downloaded the game from. I see that this site has a patch available for it.

#6 Thepal

Thepal

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Wait... what? You have some magic skill but not levitate?

Hmm... I'm thinking that is your problem. I thought levitate was given to everyone upon arriving in Tarna if you have magic skill (even if you didn't get it in QfG2).

Ah... Seems it is a problem with Scumm:

http://sourceforge.n...amp;atid=418820

#7 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Just use the new installer.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#8 Supernaut

Supernaut

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Ah so it is a known issue. Is there any way past it without restarting the game? I guess I could just blast through it using a walk through. This installer allows the game to be played stand alone without an emulator I assume?

I remember I first ran the game on DOS box but found the performance to be poor. Slow load times from one screen to the next...etc. I was happy running it with SCUMM until now.

I also want to remark how fast I have gotten replies on the issue. Looking at the number of posts on this forum I wasn't sure how much activity to expect.

#9 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

Your save games will not be usable. ScummVM has its own format for the save games that are not compatible with the original. SCI support in ScummVM is a work in progress. Most of the issues with the QfG SCI games are easily solved with the NRS patches and DOSBox. It is still the most reliable way.

Paladin Shield

#10 Thepal

Thepal

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

I just use DOSBox for playing the QfG games. At least that way I know the issues I'm going to run into.

#11 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

The new installers are the best way to avoid problems.

Paladin Shield

#12 Thepal

Thepal

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well, I'm using the GOG version now without changing anything myself. I haven't run into a single problem yet (apart from the Erana Dream in QfG4 not working correctly some nights), and I'm almost done with QfG4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users