36 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

First of all I would like to apologize for the hacker's attack yesterday and let you know that I once again corrected the problem.

All emails sent to you by Admin yesterday were fake so please make sure and delete them if you haven't done so already.

Since our board's version is too old and it's very unsafe right now, I have decided to update the board to the latest version. However since this will require money - it will have to wait till next week. If all goes well I will buy the permanent license for the board on Wednesday or Thursday and the new board will be up and running on Friday or sometime during the weekend.

In the meantime I'm gonna have to try to make sure that the current board is deleted by tomorrow.

I'm really sorry guys but this is for your own protection.

Elsa

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Mikkel

Mikkel

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

I cannot say that I am the least bit surprised about the e-mail - I had my doubts when I saw it in my spam box.

BTW what will happen to all our posts ect. ? Will they all be lost when you delete the boards, or will they be transfered to the new version.

Also on the subject of updates, would it be possible to update the banner at the top of the page? Its about 6 months out of date.
"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry."
- Bertrand Russell "Study of Mathematics"

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

World Community Grid - technology solving problems

#3 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

All the information on the database will be preserved - so no posts, members or other information of that kind will be lost. smile.gif

As far as the forum's logo - that will change when the new board is up and running as well smile.gif

#4 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

Sounds great, Elsa. Thanks for all the hard work, and if you can, keep us updated. smile.gif

#5 Mikkel

Mikkel

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Elsa Von Spielburg @ May 27 2006, 02:19 PM)
All the information on the database will be preserved - so no posts, members or other information of that kind will be lost. smile.gif

As far as the forum's logo - that will change when the new board is up and running as well smile.gif

I thought so - the word "deleted" just seemed wrong in the context, but then again, I have never run a forum.

Thank you for the answer.
"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry."

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

#6 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

Since the current board will be offline, I'll make sure and keep you guys posted from the index of our main site till the new board is up and running smile.gif

#7 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

All the best Elsa! Wish I could help you out in some way <sad lopsided grin>.
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#8 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

Do what you need to. I'm sure all of us appreciate all of your hard work. smile.gif
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#9 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

Thanks guys smile.gif

Well everything was successfully backed up so that means tomorrow I'll be deleting the board.... *sigh*

#10 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

Just to let everyone know... in the interim, while this changeover is happening, everyone is welcome to keep in touch by chatting on the Gabriel Knight 4 Campaign site chat facility. I would suggest posting there, too, but that entails joining yet another board, and so on and so on, which is probably something most people don't want to do. But for the chat, you don't need to join.

Schloss Ritter is the location.

For people who prefer to keep in touch by posting, you could temporarily join the official Sierra forum for Quest for Glory. OR... use ICQ or MSN...

I have not been using ICQ or MSN for ages (because I've been so busy), but I'll turn it on. My ICQ number is 98869905.

And let's look forward to the new incarnation of the board!

#11 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ok girl, I'm placing your post in the main news page cause the board will be deleted in a while smile.gif

#12 Brassfire

Brassfire

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

Yay for Elsa!

I'm sure the new boards will be very pretty later on, thank you so much for getting it functional again though! I missed everyone!
~Brassfire the Mage~
Score tied for Paladin and Wizard. But truly a Bard at heart!

"The relationship between beans and cultural renaissance is crucial." - Umberto Eco

#13 Mikkel

Mikkel

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:40 AM

Nice to be back indeed, though things (for a very good reason) look a bit rough around the edges. Nice to know that the software has been updated in any case.

- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

#14 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, it's great to see the board back up--even if it is a "work in progress" right now. I know how difficult these things can be, Elsa, so take your time in fixing everything up. smile.gif

#15 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

at least we got rid of that damned happy holidays logo... it has finally come down in the middle of june
Gaily bedight, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of El Dorado.
But he grew old, this knight so bold, and o'er his heart a shadow,
Fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like El Dorado.
And as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgrim shadow.
'Shadow,' said he,' Where can it be, this land of El Dorado?'
'Over the mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,' the shade replied,' if you seek for El Dorado.'