6 replies to this topic

#1 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

okay, 1st i gotta admit. it's because i screw my thief build last time and i haven't practice any lockpicking at shapeir. then when i got into the guard's house, i can't open the box. my skill was too low, so i thought i would come back tomorrow night. but then i can't get in without getting caught. so i thought the opportunity was missed and i have to do it all over again from the start.

so i restart with my fighter class biggrin.gif

now i'm wondering, if to reach paladin class is not to do the forbidden things like breaking to the metal worker's house, how if i skip it and go directly get my self to the guard's house? will i make it to paladinhood?

thanks2.
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#2 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

Heh, the jewelry box contains a bracelet you can fence for cash, but like everything else in the third break-in house, it's completely optional. You don't get points for it, you just miss out on some cash. (but honestly, you should be swimming in that stuff already by now) It's a one-time opportunity (if you return to the scene of the crime, you get caught) and your lockpicking skill must be around 170 to 175.

You can't get the third thief job if you never did the previous two and even if you could, entering any of the break-in scenes is an instant paladin-disqualifier. So no, either it's thief-way or the pally-way for you, but not both.

#3 mira

mira

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

A thief shouldn't become a Paladin.The first time I played this game as a thief, I also wanted him to become a Paladin. But he entered the metal worker's house and Khaveen's house so Rakeesh didn't offer him his sword and the title Paladin at the ceremony.So I played the thief the second time. This time he didnt break in any house and became a Paladin.I imported this Paladin to Wages of War. I thought he retained the lock pick but the game might prevent him from doing thief stuff ! I was so wrong. My thief now was like a fighter and was stripped off the card and the lock pick. A thief without stealing things isn't fun anymore !

#4 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

Well, in QFG3, neither the lockpick or the card has much use. There's not a whole lot to unlock that can't be forced open in that game. In QFG4, you should be able to obtain a card and lock pick again. Personally though, I think the paladin code of honor is way too restrictive of the thief's style to become a paladin/thief. (but I suppose that's also because I consider spamming free flowers on people is a weird practice)

#5 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, I agree. A paladin lifetsyle doesn't really mesh with having thieving skills. It's like teaching a fish how to walk on land, in my opinion; it just goes against their nature.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#6 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Matthias @ Jan 11 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I agree. A paladin lifetsyle doesn't really mesh with having thieving skills. It's like teaching a fish how to walk on land, in my opinion; it just goes against their nature.

You know, some say that fish actually did learn to walk and then after some time they learned to climb trees and now they surf on electricity. So, given enough time fish can do pretty much anything. wink.gif

I understand the appeal of hybrids. It's nice to be a demi-god. Trust me, I know. But I kinda feel that playing pure classes can really give you more challenge, since the way you approach situations is always tied to the class. Best rule of course is, if it isn't fun playing try to do it another way.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#7 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

Of course, in order to be a true demi-god, you have to max all stats in the book and I found that that just breaks the line between "long-winded" and "extremely tedious".