Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I'm insane.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hello there my fellow QFG fans,
We have decided to pick up the HERO6 source and assemble a little project with it.
This will very much be a community driven project, We've seen the hero6 team work all too hard to just sit back and watch this one slip through the cracks!

So let us know if you'd like to be a contributor, This will be a fully free open source game which needs you to make a difference! If you care anything about HERO6 and all their hard work, then please help us resurrect this wonderful project!

My name is Construed and I am a Warrior.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm temporarily putting this project on the backburner until GQ is complete,
Anyone interested in doing it is more than welcome to take it over.
However as soon as GQ is finished I will get back to it if nobody else already has biggrin.gif

#3 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

thumbs.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#4 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

oh wow. someone has taken the src code.

Best of luck. how you doing so far? Made any significant changes?

I apologise for the code quality. It probably needs an overhaul but when I wrote it, it was kinda a quick hack job based on the original requirements.

#5 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Actually the code is very nice biggrin.gif

I especially like how you mimicked the statistic system so closely to QFG i.e Changed statistics show red, etc..

Me and anonT are talking about how we are going to proceed with the project and it will at first have slow progress.

However from the point you and your team left it at, It shouldnt take too long to piece it altogether biggrin.gif

If you would like to be part of the revival please let us know biggrin.gif

PS. I hope you dont mind if i use some of the code in our other project GrimQuest.

Edited by Construed, 13 April 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#6 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Well I'm not sure I really can help as I got no spare time really.

Yeah of course you can reuse it in GrimQuest.

#7 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Awesome, Thanks!
Rest assured, As long as I'm alive Hero6 will eventually be finished my friend biggrin.gif

#8 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think the biggest issue was sprite animators. I think as a breed of human they are all but extinct.

So unless you intend to overhaul the graphics with say a 3d based solution, or downgrade to GrimQuest level gfx, I don't see how Hero6 will be completed.

#9 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm great at sprite animation.
The hard part I think will be finding an artist to keep the same style as H6 for sprites, bgs that will have to be added.
I noticed there's crap loads of BG's So probably only need a few of those and magic is easy.
I would just like to find someone to make 3 different versions of the main char so I can implement multiplayer.
GQ is taking a lot longer than i thought it would "my own fault for procrastinating" But i know I'll hit another creative high soon enough if i put my mind to it, It's mostly just a lot of nit picky dialogue.
Were creating 2 versions of it though, ega and vga.
Me and our main artist want to publish a commercial game after GQ though so when i start working more thoroughly on H6 I'll still be working on 2 projects which hasn't ever been a problem for me.
But yea it would be a great boost if anyone could make 2 more variances of the main char or a female char or perhaps if anyone has some laying around they might possibly donate.
We also could always use more coders for our projects. I'll try to make it worth your time if you help me in any way.
I have a lot to offer, such as coding, 2d/3d art webspace, website design, partial profit, etc...

#10 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

shame theres no dynamic colouring system for the sprites to support the many variations on the hero sprite - that'd do you a treat by the sound of it.

Best of good luck though. But yeah you just need a simple but interesting plot, sprites and thats probably the most difficult bits covered.

If QFGs are really getting popular again the AGS world, perhaps the published H6 code should be refactored, striped down to the bare essentials and published as an open source framework for QFG-like games.

#11 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Yea, at the moment there's only 2 qfg remakes in the works with ags, Mine and Heroins Quest.
One simple method for changing sprite colors like that is with graphics gale, They have a color adjustment tool that can have pre-sets of - and + on the RGB scale, So I might consider that method.

Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon so I can get GQ finished and see which direction we go afterwards biggrin.gif

Edited by Construed, 18 April 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#12 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS & TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Away from the comp?.. drinking.. mostly drinking ;P

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've done some big updates to my Hero6 page to reflect all the recent events. Am thinking about making a quick playthrough youtube video like I've done with some of the other rare QFG games and demos out there.

Delta:
I've got the Pre-Alpha AGS Demo v0.3 (32bit edition with toggled rain) that Blackthorne released over at IA. However someone mentioned it might actually be rather old. If so is there a newer compiled playbable demo? I'd love to get my hands on it for my tribute page and also to make a video to get the attention of more fans out there to revive the project.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.

#13 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi Blake00,

The code I published via the original Hero6 site is in fact the very latest src that was ever made. I'm not so sure exactly which version it is that Blackthorne posted but it is most likely very similar with minor differences not worth the mention (a few sprites, grammar etc).

There are older versions of Hero6 which were made during the MAD engine era which might still be lurking around (if you REALLY wanted to do a youtoob for that too), the focus and goals of Hero6 were very different then but no significant progress was made besides a 'barebones' game.

I do have access to a horde of material from the Hero6 archives although I do question whether it is really best to use them and not create new material that counts!

Thanks

Delta

#14 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS & TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Away from the comp?.. drinking.. mostly drinking ;P

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

Cheers for the quick reply Delta! smile.gif

Glad to hear the v0.3 demo should be relatively newish (I think Blackthorne said he received it in march 2011 but its date of compile might be much older). I guess I was wondering since the second town is not in it?
When I cross the bridge to go to the second town I enter a darkland and get killed by the undead, however if I come back to life thanks to Greenleaf and go back to the darkland the undead are ‘stuck’ and I can walk past them and go to a area with a large wooden wall which I’m guessing is the entrance to the second town yet it doesn’t let me go through the gate.

Ooooh do you have any of the MAD demos still? I have hunted for one of the later ones for so long and no one seems to have them anymore!

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.

#15 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I can't remember the solution well as it was designed and written a long time ago now but the dark forest exists beyond the bridge and cannot really be navigated safely until you do Greenleaf a favour in which we will let you have some of her magic water which gives you the ability to 'see' through the dark forest.

The second town, which is Helmsdale, was not implemented in this demo version. It exists in the older MAD versions (before we did a massive change) where you can access it across an open field. I don't recall a wooden wall being present in the v0.3 demo that you have.

The v0.3 version was compiled and released by me on 13th May 2008. The version I released on the Hero6 site is slightly updated early 2011 (I don't know which one Blackthorne posted) - it was slightly tweaked by a small group started on Facebook but they quickly lost interest.

Heres a link to an old MAD demo - released in mid-2006 I think:
http://www.hero6.com...o6-A14-Full.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users