86 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:20 PM

In an attempt to contact the Coles and find out weather they still wish to continue the Qfg series I emailed Jason Ray, Chairman and CEO of Explorati company yesterday smile.gif

To tell you the truth I was hesitating to do this, thinking that I could get a negative answer, meaning the petition and any actions to get the Qfg series to continue would be worthless if the Coles backed out on this.

But at the end I thought I would find out sooner or later so I sent the email wink.gif

Afterwards when Jason Ray's reply came in I was glad I contacted him hehe biggrin.gif

So I would like to thank him for his reply and kindness and share this emails with you all smile.gif

-----Original Message-----
From: Elsa von Spielburg [mailto:elsavonspielburg@questformoreglory.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:56 AM
To: jason@explorati.com
Subject: Hello...
Hello,

I know you might not like this but clearly I had no choice but to use the contacts I found at your website, hoping that the Coles will get this message somehow…

I am one of the so many Qfg fans that had the chance to play the greatest RPG series ever made. And one of those that would like the Qfg series to continue.

As a result of my great love for these games, I ended up buying a .com domain and together with a friend (another Qfg fan) we built a site dedicated to the whole series.

Personally I felt that I had to do something to at least try and get Vivendi Universal’s attention and make them see that it’s worth continuing the series and make a Qfg 6. So I decided to go through the madness and made a petition about it at my site’s forums. The petition is in the form of a topic where the fans reply to state their agreement.

Here it is:

Petition to continue the Quest for Glory series

We, the Quest for Glory fans, would like to ask Sierra (or who ever the hell owns the Quest for Glory games now!) to continue the Quest for Glory series and to make a Quest for Glory 6 under these conditions:

1. To get the Coles to work on the game and if possible to have them Create/Lead the game team.
2. We understand that the current Hero’s storyline might as well have ended in Quest for Glory 5 and that the new game may have new Hero/Storyline/Game Characters etc… And we agree with that.
3. The game style and such should naturally remain the same to continue the Quest for Glory originality/tradition.

Finally if the current Quest for Glory owners do not wish to continue the series. We request that they sell the rights to the Coles so that they may continue the series.

I really don’t know how the Coles feel about this right now but I really wanted to let them know about the petition.

I’m taking the liberty to represent the Qfg fans in this email.

The Coles are our only hope.

Here’s the link to the petition:

http://www.questform...T&f=2&t=58&st=0

And here’s the website:

http://www.questformoreglory.com

Sorry for contacting you like this.

Elsa

Elsa:

No apologies necessary, I am happy to help as best I can.

I will forward this to Corey and Lori, but I can tell you some information already.

1) The Coles would be more than happy to do more games in the series - they've wanted to for many years.

2) Sierra/Vivendi has zero interest in the QFG brand and they will not fund any more games in the series.

3) As part of the explorati company (now defunct, unfortunately) we attempted to secure the QFG rights from Sierra/Vivendi to do a massively multiplayer game in the QFG universe. They were not interested or open to selling or licensing the brand for any new title. I assume that if an appropriately rich deal can be worked out, they will let it happen. That information is now 3 years old, so who knows what they think today.

4) Vivendi is in the middle of selling off the games division and I am certain they will not want to make any deals like this until the sale is complete. There are many legal reasons to leave al their intellectual property un-touched until the sale is done. The good news is that the new owners (whoever they will be) are MUCH more likely to be willing to sell off old assets that *they* think are no longer of value.

So, I think that getting information about fan interest is very valuable and that you should watch the news to see who buys Vivendi Games. It will take about 3 months after the sale before its worth approaching them about this, but if you have your petition results and fan support you should be able to get a hearing.

Best of luck to you, and I hope when we resurrect the explorati dream for building interactive story worlds (the first Internet Holodecks) you'll be one of our supporters.

Have fun!

Jason Ray

Your conclusions guys beerchug.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 03:45 PM

That's unbelievably good news, that the Coles are interested AND that Vivendi's selling off may result in a more amenable mindframe from the new owners!

Let's keep our hopes up and the signatures coming.

#3 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:04 PM

I can't believe it... this might actually work!!!!

We got a fighting chance folks, let's keep it up!

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#4 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:27 PM

YES!!!! beerchug.gif

(Psst! The blue text is kind of hard to read smile.gif )

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#5 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Orion @ Jul 18 2003, 03:44 PM)
(Psst! The blue text is kind of hard to read smile.gif )

lol.gif ...and I thought it was just me hehe... wink.gif

#6 El Ravager

El Ravager

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:41 PM

Hmm...definitely not bad news. Much better than I expected, anway. Petitions for the continuation of adventure series have been sent off to Vivendi numerous times, and each got a negaive reply. We may actually succeed this time. smile.gif I would be more than happy to see a MMORPG (Although, I tend to stay away from pay-per-play) in the QfG universe.
"And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

#7 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:43 PM

Fixed tongue.gif

#8 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:44 PM

Thank you smile.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#9 El Ravager

El Ravager

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Ehh...hilighting wasn't sooo hard... wink.gif
"And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." -Lord Acton

#10 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:56 PM

smash.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#11 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:58 PM

You guys think I should post this at the official Qfg forums too?

#12 El Ravager

El Ravager

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:02 PM

I don't see why not. smile.gif

#13 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

If Tin and Ellerit don't mind. And I'm sure they won't, this is pretty good news for the QFG community!

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#14 Guest_~Brassfire the Mage~_*

Guest_~Brassfire the Mage~_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:26 PM

Yup. In one of the fan chats that Lori and Corey attended, they mentioned that they would love to get the rights to QFG... I think if they did so there would be great potential.

Perhaps there is hope, because if we get a few thousand signatures, then that wouldn't be enough for the new owners to be interested in developing QFG themselves, and might give the Coles a better chance at actually buying the rights.

So, who is keeping a watch on Vivendi's selloff?

#15 Orion

Orion

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:23 PM

They do have the rights to Erasmus and Fenrus though! They had a comic series featuring them before QG was made, so Sierra doesn't own the rights to them! thumbs.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png