9 replies to this topic

#1 Rainault

Rainault

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

I did something you guys might find interesting and cool to watch; I completed a speed run of QFG1 in 9 minutes 29 seconds, if you start the timer from the moment the Sheriff says "Good luck on your quest!" and end at the beginning of the final celebration scene. I recently included annotations to the video to help clarify my decisions, as well as point out mistakes I made.

The description of the video mentions that I was going to attempt a 500-point run, but I don't really have the time for it any more. I would have also picked the Thief for that speed run, as the Fighter must defeat every monster to get 500 points (too much combat training), and the Mage must win Mage's Maze to get 500 points (too much magic training). So if anyone else wants to try a 500 run, I suggest the Thief.

I welcome comments and criticisms on the run, even though I don't plan on trying to beat it. I'm fairly confident that this is the fastest possible path, and if done perfectly, it can definitely be done in under 9 minutes.

#2 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

From what I watched, that was pretty cool (I watched up until the part where you started climbing to pass the time; I know what you do the rest of the time afterall wink.gif ).
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.
What kind of Hero Are You?
www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

Pretty impressive stuff. Its always interested to see people breeze through it. It makes the game look like a cakewalk (until, of course, the people start playing it!)

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#4 Peter Paladin

Peter Paladin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Very cool, man...speed-runs are always cool!
I call that a bargain, the best I ever had...

#5 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking & Hunting(both in the past) and Computer Games (Adventure, RPG & especially Strategy)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

So! What do you gain by this so called 'Speed Run' smile.gif? No full score unless you are Thief, a character I dislike frown.gif!!

PEACE!!!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#6 Erpy

Erpy

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Didn't you know? By completing it, you gain access to the hidden underground goblin lair that was supposedly cut out and you get to duel with the goblin king and his cronies. angel2.gif

Actually, the point of things like speed runs isn't to gain anything tangible. The point is to show it can be done and for prestige. Many fans of games (almost any kind of game) have created "challenges" where games are played either in unconventional ways or with requirements that involve one to be very skilled. A few examples:

- Beat DOOM without firing a single shot.
- Beat Castlevania without losing a single life.
- Beat Zelda without taking a single heart container.
- Beat (insert favorite console RPG here) and keep your level as low as possible.
- Beat (insert favorite console RPG here) by using only the main character. (if it involves multiple party members)

Obviously, beating QFG1 within 10 minutes could be seen as a special challenge too, as would beating the game with a minimum of stat gains or a minimum of points gained.

Edited by Erpy, 16 April 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#7 tenata

tenata

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think you must know in detail QFG1 to complete the game in 10 minutes.Congratulations,Rainault,you are brilliant tactician!

I Am Paladin and Wizard

#8 JackDarwid

JackDarwid

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hi!

Here's my "Hi all, my name is JackD" post: link

So...
when HQ1 was out, I played it too many times. Amazing game...
At that time, one thing I have tried was to complete the game the quickest possible, in-game wise. After saw your speed run link above on YouTube it really brings my memory back...but I can't remember all the details (I still play QfG now and then, but not yet played any speed run again). I'm sure of some things:
1) I take a different approach. I upgrade my Open Spell to 50 to open the big rock behind the Antwerp. Usually I do this by climbing to Erasmus house, a quick way to waste the Stamina so I can Rest and then start casting Open again. Then Rest again. Then cast again. Then Rest again. If I can't Rest, I climb to the house. Repeat.
2) then without even seeing the brigands in the archery, I just say "hiden goseke" then Fred, the Troll guarding the Bandit hideout to go away. This is why I don't rescue the Baron to make it quicker. I'm 100% sure I can do this before (say the words without even "know" it before hand), but somehow I try again with some newer version and this is not working...maybe it's only working on the original HQ1??
3) to pass he Minotaur: I cast Open first to unlock the door then I move a little bit until the tree (in front of the entrance) shakes, then I stop. The minotaur will look for the noises (because of the tree shakes), but sees no one (me hiding behind the tree heh heh heh). After the Minotaur walks again and turn to the right, I quickly go to the door and open the door. Usually the Minotaur starts to look at me again, but it's too late: I'm already in! ----> This. An excitement like this is what makes me looove this game smile.gif

The rest is almost the same with the speed run above. I'm pretty sure I finish the game before morning in the next day. So no sleeping, and not yet 1 day pass from the beginning. But I just can't remember whether I use Magic User or Thief....

Well, that's all. I am just glad that after all these years, I can talk about my speed run to someone else biggrin.gif

By the way... is the designer/maker of HQ/QfG is/are here? if yes: BIG THANK YOU for the game. THANK YOU. THANK YOU for the lovely weeks/months/years I spend on the game biggrin.gif If there will be a new QfG game, please make it just like HQ1/QfG1!!! And I will support the Kickstarter for sure.

Edited by JackDarwid, 11 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#9 crayauchtin

crayauchtin

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Anything sword and sorcery -- true story.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

In the VGA version of the game, I don't think they included a way to say "Hiden goseke", but if they did you almost certainly need to have seen Bruno and Brutus in the archery range to do it. Sort of like how, in the VGA version, you can't say the password for the thieves' guild until you've learned it.

#10 JackDarwid

JackDarwid

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yup. Maybe that only works on the old/original version. But I am 100% sure about that because at that time I kept challenge myself to finish the game as quickly as possible smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users