10 replies to this topic

#1 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Doan Sephim of The SCI Programming Community has been working on a new QfG style game in SCI Companion. It is nearing completion. It tenatively is scheduled to be released around Christmas. The game is titled Betrayed Alliance Book 1 He has uploaded a trailer to YouTube. Enjoy:

• Elsa Von Spielburg likes this

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#2 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

I remember back in 2003 I wanted to make my own games, in 2012, I sorta revisited that idea and did actually make a very short (and experimental) game in AGI. I will make my series as the ultimate tribute to Sierra some day. I just realized that there are too many things I want to do. I need to write my novel and learn to draw well enough to make the artwork for the whole thing (games and world building alike) before I have a go at this. The programming part is actually the least of my worries. I just wish I did more of this stuff sooner.

Till next time stay cool :cool: 

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#3 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I am a little surprised that this has not been met with more interest.

Paladin Shield

#4 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Looks good! (Y)

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

#5 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I am a little surprised that this has not been met with more interest.

The sad reality of it all is that games made with the original engines (AGI studio and SCI studio) haven't gotten the attention they deserved. AGS, on the other hand, gets more than anything. I have tons of AGS games that I haven't even played yet, largely since I tend to focus far more on classic/unknown adventure games from the old days.

I still remember when Brian Provinciano stopped work on his SCI studio. We never did get a functional way of making SCI VGA style games. I wish someone would pick up the pieces and start where he left off. Hell, I wish I could, but my C++ skills aren't that good. :/ It was a real pity since he said that, if completed, SCI studio VGA could be like AGI studio. As in not only allowing the full editing of any SCI game, but it decompile the scripts so they can be seen and modified. I wanted to wait until it was all done so I could poke around the SCI games and see what made them run. I did the same for AGI games and bit by bit they did make more sense. The only downside being that there were no notes left behind by the original programmers as to what each variable and flag meant, then knowing every trick in the book would all be mine.

Sadly, it didn't happen. I only wish I did spend more time with SCI back in the day. I might have actually produced a game then. I will never lose sight of making a game yet, but it's gonna have to wait.

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#6 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

If you look at all of the AGI games because of AGI studio, if Brian had finished the VGA version, AGS may have not grown in popularity as much early on the way it did. Brian got discouraged that SCI Studio was not generating as many games as AGI Studio had and felt that it was wasted effort. I think that if he had finished SCI Studio VGA it would have been a different story. Some (many?) were waiting for the VGA release before starting a game. I know I was.

As to the state of the VGA app, it is actually closer to being usable than most think. The template game is nearly done. Probably the two main things that would need to be done is the compiler and a PIC editor with raster abilities. SCI0 PICs used vector graphics and SCI VGA used raster. However, Enrico Rolfi has a PIC editor for SCI1 to SCI2 called FotoSCIhop. I recently was able to get the source for his tool and managed to get it to compile.

Paladin Shield

#7 Construed

Construed

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:I'm insane.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Ah, such a beautiful sight to see the SCI wheels still spinning!

I've played with the SCI engines quite a bit and they are rock solid!

My name is Construed and I am a Warrior.

#8 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

If you look at all of the AGI games because of AGI studio, if Brian had finished the VGA version, AGS may have not grown in popularity as much early on the way it did. Brian got discouraged that SCI Studio was not generating as many games as AGI Studio had and felt that it was wasted effort. I think that if he had finished SCI Studio VGA it would have been a different story. Some (many?) were waiting for the VGA release before starting a game. I know I was.

As to the state of the VGA app, it is actually closer to being usable than most think. The template game is nearly done. Probably the two main things that would need to be done is the compiler and a PIC editor with raster abilities. SCI0 PICs used vector graphics and SCI VGA used raster. However, Enrico Rolfi has a PIC editor for SCI1 to SCI2 called FotoSCIhop. I recently was able to get the source for his tool and managed to get it to compile.

Hold on... There's an SCI VGA being made? Holy crap! I had no idea. Will it ever have the ability to decompile scripts?

I just downloaded it and I'm trying to get it to open QFG 2 and 3. I'm having a bit of a hard time with it... but I'll figure it out.

P.S. Some assistance would be awesome! :D

#9 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

SCI Studio VGA is not really usable in the state that it is in and has been abandoned. Endroz's tools are olny for P56, V56 VOC and TEX resources, which are what you need for translating an SCI game. As far as scripts, there are no decompilers. There are dissasemblers, but you do not get anything that could be recompiled, even if you had a compiler. I am unsure how NRS and Endroz have done their script patches, but I suspect that it involves using a hexeditor, since there is no way to compile a modified disassembled script.

Edited by Collector, 15 November 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Paladin Shield

#10 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS & TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Away from the comp?.. drinking.. mostly drinking ;P

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

*falls out of chair* :O

HOW did I not know about this!! A new QFG style project.. awesome!

*runs off to construct a tribute page at his site*

• Elsa Von Spielburg likes this

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.

#11 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users