• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Paladin Wizard

Paladin Wizard

Divine Dragon god

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Women, Treasure, Battles, Spoils of War, Women, Arcane Items, Technological Items, and Women.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I would turn stealth on and not turn it off. So I traveled everywhere in stealth mode. I did this pretty much for every game, only DF actually slowed me down. But being used to dial-up and other slowness of the 80s & 90s I have the patience for it.

Find QFG Import files here.

#32 Nanuaraq

Nanuaraq

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Questing

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Remember to vote at the poll in the older thread!

Anyway, I choose EGA over VGA. I like the graphics better, even though the coloration in EGA was horrible. VGA was just too cartoonish for my taste. Anyway, for the fun of it I took to looking closer at the old artwork and have even repainted some of the old backgrounds using more colors than were available back then. Having gotten rid of the grayed-out areas, they look quite nice! They knew what they were doing, even if they had to make do with making nuances by swapping every second pixel with a gray one.

I also favor the character animations in the EGA version over the VGA. They are smoother, I think there are more pictures per sequence of animation in the EGA version. The fighting animations in the VGA version was horribly stop-and-go, and using the mousepointer to decide actions in the middle of battle took your eyes off the actual fighting action!

And finally, for nostalgia purposes. Choosing which spell to buy at Zaras, breaking and entering, fighting my first cheetaur... I loved it all.

EDIT: The stealth issue can be solved by entering and re-entering forest screens. Every time you dodge a monster, stealth experience goes up by 1.

Edited by Nanuaraq, 08 July 2013 - 09:17 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)