Helpful links and things needed:
- http://www.litchie.n...pps/dospad.html <-- DOSPad Hompage - please check here first.
- http://www.i-funbox.com/ <-- Gives you access to the directories on your device
- Wikipedia article on iOS jailbreaking
- A jailbroken Apple device (this should be obvious )
- The game you wish to play already installed on your computer and set to use Sound Blaster for all audio options.
- A basic knowledge of how to use DOS.
- Please use legal copies of the game. We here at QFMG do not condone piracy. Unless your name happens to be Guybrush.
- Quest for Glory 4 is possible to be played with the CD audio. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is just copy over the RESOURCE.AUD file into the QFG4 directory. Don't quote me on this though, I've had QFG4 to use voices without a CD for so long, I forgot how I did it.
I'm going to write this assuming you already have your device (iPod, iPhone or iPad) jailbroken. I'm also assuming you know where your QFG games are installed.
If you're not sure if it's jailbroken, then it's most likely not. What jailbreaking is, in the simplest sense, is a way of removing the limitations your device has.
If you're unsure of the safety of jailbreaking your device, a bit of online searching can show you the risks. Also, as far as actually jailbreaking your device, for this, Google is your friend.
Also, please double check which version of iOS you're running before jailbreaking your device, and use the correct program client for this.
- Once your device is set up with the Jailbreak and Cydia is installed, open up Cydia.
- Click Manage at the bottom, then Sources.
- At the top, click Edit. Once that's done, click Add.
- A prompt saying 'Enter Cydia/APT URL' pops up. Type in http://www.litchie.net/cydia here. Then tap on the www.litchie.net link that's now added to your Sources.
- DosPad Beta should be your only available option here.
- Tap the DosPad link, then Install. (Mine here says "Modify" since it's already installed.) Let Cydia do it's thing here, click the "Return to Cydia" link once it shows.
- Provided you've never jailbroken before and/or don't have it installed, click the search button at the bottom of Cydia. Do a search for "OpenSSH" and install it.
- Once these steps are installed, now comes the fun part of actually transferring your games onto your device. Huzzah! Download i-Funbox, this program lets you access the file directories on your device.
- Make sure your device is connected to your computer and boot up i-Funbox. It should show "My Computer" as well as the name and model of your device right below it. My iPod Touch is named Erana. ^_^
- Click on the Raw File System directory. From here, navigate to the /var/mobile/Documents subfolders.
- Find your Quest for Glory (or other DOS based Sierra games) on your computer, and simply copy it over. Current saved games should work just fine. Once things are copied over, you can disconnect your device from your computer.
- Find DOSPAD Beta on your device and boot it up. One nice thing is that DOSPAD allows you to rotate your screen. On my iPod, the text is rather small and barely readable, but on newer devices with the retina display, it should be fine.
- Use DOS commands to start up the game you wish.
- This may be the most important step. --> Enjoy!