23 replies to this topic

#16 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:36 AM

That is a good way of looking at it. You could also question where did they come up with a the Cheetaur, you might think those types of creatures would be living much further south.... and who ever heard of a talking skull? Or the Antwerp? If they had all perfectly normal creatures, it would not be nearly as interesting.

The Mantaray does seem a little out of place, flying around in a forest.

#17 koyar

koyar

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:20 AM

I'm not saying they can't have imagination. Obviously, all of the game is made up. I'm just saying that while trolls, goblins, witches, etc. make sense for a European forest land, and even the Antwerp at least provides humor, the manta ray and the dinosaur seem out of place. Surely they could have found some more... consistent monsters for the theme.
Hero of five lands!!!!!

#18 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

I do see your point... something which appears to have come from a tropical region seems out of place in northwestern Europe. I think there is some comment that it migrated and adapted to the northern climate, but it does appear to be the most out-of-place monster.

#19 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

I just wonder if the northern sauruses hibernate. I don't think a lizard could really handle winter. Might be they're so aggressive at the time the hero arrives, because they've just woke up and are hungry and stuff.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#20 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

i can free the baronet at the 2nd-3rd day. and i know where to meet trolls easier. after u see the bouncer, go to the only path. the next 2 screens will be the location to easily meet the trolls. so you'll have a higher chances to meet trolls than cheetaurs or saurus rexes. if ur stats aren't strong enough or if it's still at daytime, you'll meet a spear brigand though.
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#21 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

The reason for the introduction of the saurus at least was so that the species would have some familiarity by the time the player gets to QfG2. That, I believe, overrode any problems of consistency. I would imagine that a saurus would be very slow-moving in cold weather, but for the purpose of the story, it's got to move faster than a slow crawl, of course!

#22 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

If you go back to pre-historic times, after the Ice Age you would've found dinosaures all over Europe <hehehe> and drawings and fossils have been found smile.gif! As well as frozen (preserved intact) Mastodons the progenietors of modern day elephants! No wonder we hear or of elephants in Mordavia and Hans's laments smile.gif.
And as Darian said the entire series are a fantasy!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#23 Eric_Meisterson

Eric_Meisterson

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

The first time I fought a troll (Hero's Quest, 1st edition) was Midnight on Day 3. When I was desperately trying to get back to town before dawn so I could sleep. I was a magic user, and I died. No matter how many times I tried to escape, the darn thing kept apearing right where I was trying to run.
I eventually had to try fighting it, which didn't take long.
I got stuck in a similar situation with a Saurus Rex later that same game (Day 11, I think). I tried casting Calm during the fight, and quickly learned why the manual said not to.
Trolls came out an night most often, at lower skill levels, then anytime when you acquire more power.
Never stomached the remake long enough to know how that worked out.
The best fight I ever had with a troll was when my health points reached zero, and I kept fighting. The troll (the one that plays 'hidengoseke') hit me many more times, but I just kept swinging! My health never recovered from that though, no matter how many potions I swallowed. That character then died as soon as I entered the next fight.
Good thing I saved a lot.
"Light does not require darkness to exist, rather, darkness can not exist where the light doth reign."
- The Undanted Zephyr (a.k.a. Eric Meisterson)

"Buttkicking for goodness!"
- Minsc

#24 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

A Troll on day3??? And in any case you couldn't have entered the Town on day3 you wouldn't have the necessary skill to climb the gate/wall. A better place, and closer, was Erana's Peace!
Some of your experiences are, well, a difficult to swallow smile.gif!

PEACE!!!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!