37 replies to this topic

#16 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

The term hot stuff can be used for both sexes, and sometimes it is used in a way that isn't a physical reference. smile.gif

Yep, that's Karma. Be nice to the Healer, you'll need her help.

This goes to show that crime doesn't pay... unless it's against Minos much later on in the adventures, then I guess it does pay pretty well. tongue.gif

#17 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

Crime doesn't pay, if you get caught. And anyways, in theses games you really shouldn't steal from people who need the stuff more than you do. Of course, that is relative...
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#18 Master Solemn

Master Solemn

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

Darian: Crime doesn't pay, if you get caught

Thats why I don't.........

Edited by Master Solemn, 27 June 2006 - 09:21 AM.

"Failure takes no effort, it is true greatness which is the most difficult to achieve"
Zeno

IPB Image

#19 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

Crime never pays...you may escape for sometime but ultimately it's behind the bars for you or even worse!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#20 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, if you get caught. But as I said in another thread, stealing in games is very different than in real life. It's all fantasy.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#21 Master Solemn

Master Solemn

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

and in another topic I said "Yeah, that's why I'll never steal."
"Failure takes no effort, it is true greatness which is the most difficult to achieve"
Zeno

IPB Image

#22 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

Wabbit season or duck season?

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Darian Kheynes @ Jun 27 2006, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, if you get caught. But as I said in another thread, stealing in games is very different than in real life. It's all fantasy.

Exactly. Especially in Adventure/RPGs like Quest For Glory. Even in games that aren't Adventures or RPGs, it's still all "fantasy" of some sort. I've done some pretty wicked things in games that I'd never do in real life. Why? Because it's not real. Same goes for theft. wink.gif

#23 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

The danger with games is that some people can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. That may become more of an issue as the newer games continue to get more and more realistic... people who have a hard time telling the difference will have an even harder time then.

There are of course other aspects to the QFG series which are best left in the game... such as throwing flame darts, stabbing "enemies" with a sword, throwing daggers around... smile.gif

#24 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

The people who generally can't tell the difference between fiction and reality are either young children (they haven't learned how to distinguish the two yet) or adults with psychological difficulties. Neither should be playing violent games.

With the first group, it should be relativiely easy to police them. Parents just need to become educated on the ESRB ratings, and learn that quite a large percentage of games are designed for the 18 and up crowd. Once this happens (and maybe I'm living a pipedream by imaging that this will come to pass), games created for mature players won't get into the hands (at least by accident) of those too young to properly handle and appreciate them.

The second group, however, is a bit more troubling and difficult to deal with. First of all, you need a professional (psychologist or psychiatrist) to diagnose a mental illness. Second, you need to do something about it. Unfortunately, a large portion of people resent the very idea that they may have a psychological disorder, and instead of seeking help, they do the very worst thing and attempt to ignore it. This, obviously, does not work in the long run and without counseling (and sometimes medication), these individuals will continue to suffer from their problems. And finally, third, you're talking about an adult--not a child--who is not under the care and supervision of another person, so someone with a particularly bad mental health disease needs to execute extremely strong willpower in order to not purchase a game (or any other media) they wish to own. Now you might ask, "Wait a minute. Why would someone buy a game they know will affect them?" People in these categories figure one of two things: what they have isn't that bad and they won't be affected, or that since they recognize they have a problem, they can control their issue(s) through sheer force of will. All of this once again coming back around to the fact that "ignoring the problem" is easier than "dealing with it correctly."

That's how I see it anyway. If those two groups could be handled properly, then I think we'd see a dramatic decrease in attacks directed towards the gaming community. cool.gif

#25 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

Very good points thumbs.gif

For the first group you mentioned, young children, it is amazing how many parents are irresponsible and buy 18+ rated games for their kids. I have some friends at work who have young children, and their childrens' friends are playing games like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City at the ages of 10 and younger. I don't know whether it is ignorance in not understanding the ratings, laziness in not being bothered reading the ratings, or just not caring at all. Pretty bad when a 7 year old is playing a game where they can repeatedly kick someone until they fall, and then continue to beat them to a bloody pulp.

It doesn't stop at video games either... the same caution should be used by parents when renting movies or allowing young children to watch violent TV programs.

#26 Maria

Maria

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

Interesting posts. I agree that as 'escapism' you are free to do things you would never think of doing in real life. I have a hard time stealing sometimes but love the challenge of it in the games though. I felt so guilty this last time I played DragonFire since I robbed the bank for the first time. Robbing Minos was super easy though...

I usually play a magic user since spells are a lot funner to fight with then swords...

Maria

#27 Grand Dad

Grand Dad

Seeker of Universal Peace and Justice!

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

Fantasy, fiction and real life are all deeply inter-connected. In order to be good fiction depends on verisimilitude. The real life examples need not be from one person or one place, they can reflect various people and places. But it, any storyline, has to be realistic in order to enjoyable either worth reading or worth playing!
Talking about children: If they play a Thief's persona in a game many with weaker personality may adopt it real life.
And Maria 'escapism' is not limited to games or books!
"When in prosperity give advice; when in misfortune take it".

Beyond the flight of time,
Beyond the realm of death,
There surely is some blessed clime,
Where life is not a breath!

#28 Spikey

Spikey

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:59 PM

I don't think anyone playing *QFG*, though, is likely to go out and rob the local Sheriff's house. wink.gif

- Spike
Sierra Music Central - your place to visit for Sierra soundtracks of yore. Still updated (every so often) after 10 years!
New QFG music coming in 2012/13.

My name is Spike and I am a Warrior.

Warrior Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#29 DeadPoolX

DeadPoolX

• Members
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

Probably not. Never say "never" though. One can't be too sure of what the human mind might contemplate... smile.gif

#30 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

Very true.

<feeds everyone garlic and avocado sandwiches>