• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well here it is, my 30th birthday today. How do I feel? Well... actually a hell of a lot better than I turned twenty, really. Maybe the only flaw I find in it is that I didn't date enough girls. :P Well it's never too late for that, so how does everything add up in total?

I remember on my 20th birthday on these forums 10 years ago (yeah... imagine that, 2003 seems like so far away now). I said I would never say I want to be a kid again, at least not with the kind of childhood that I had. I still standby that statement I made. But my 20s have been fairly tough. I went through a series of... well, abusive jobs that made some of my childhood experience seem... well, no, they actually equaled them in their abusiveness, and the people behaved no differently than the kids back then. Which honestly forces me to have to acknowledge the fact that some people never really mature beyond adolescence, and never gain any wit beyond a dim 7th grader. I had to leave around 5 jobs as a result of it. The one consolation from it is that one job was so bad I left Dubai (a city to which I will never return) and went to study accounting in Montreal, where I am living at currently. Montreal is a vastly better place to live, in every respect humanly imaginable. In addition to having an actual culture and history instead of some ramshackle imported pile of soulless plastic that is Dubai, I see places in one that are extremely modern, and others that were built in centuries past that are practically time capsules to a different era. The people are friendlier and the society is much better for everyone. A fast food worker here stands a better chance at earning a good living than even some Bookkeepers in Dubai.

Thought it wasn't without problems. I still had difficulties with the part time jobs there that had some of the same people from Dubai. One of them came right around a particularly tough semester and I would daresay the stress brought on by them probably caused my grades to drop by more than a letter, which is a massive amount. I had to deal with depression for a damn long time after all this.

Even after college, the crappy world wide economy was hitting Canada pretty bad. Maybe not as bad as some countries, but in addition to mediocre grades brought on by massive stress, I also couldn't easily move out of Montreal due to my legal status. I should have gotten my Permanent Residency card over two years ago (which meant basically applying for a citizen now), but my lawyer really loused the situation up. Despite his legal secretary telling me constantly for a long time that it is in process and the government was being stupid, it turned out that the application was sitting in a drawer all that time. It never got sent until recently, and even then, the timing couldn't have been worse. The government doesn't even have a timetable for the time I made finally made my application.

That being said... it's finally actually looking up for. I've been looking for a job after college for almost three years, and while I did get a short stint as an assistant accountant (the situation in Montreal for new accounting graduates not in a designation program are very slim), it didn't last. I sort of said in here, but I didn't quite get into the fact that I had to leave after barely 5 weeks. Right now I finally have a stable, well-paying job. I work as a tech support guy for a major telecommunications company here in Canada, and it's completely unionized, which means I won't have to dread any 5 year old minded douchebags causing trouble, cause the management can't afford to ignore it. I'm beefing up my savings account so much I actually can visit places around the world for once in my life.

All in all, in the last year it finally does seem like things are doing better. I have plans on finishing my novel... when, soon I hope, within the next couple of months. I finished my probation and training period yesterday at my job, which means I no longer have to worry about being fired on the spot for no reason. So I managed to finish this decade of mine on a good note for a change, and I hope it will only get better from here.

So... well, that was a long bit. I'm 30 now, and I feel good about it. ;) I still gotta finish that drawing of the hero that I've been planning and get to writing more stuff. I won't be having a birthday cake, but I will be making some very nice enriched bread instead. Bigger challenge, and probably less fattening! :D

Till next time stay cool :cool: 

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#2 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Happy Birthday PL sweety :D *hug, kiss*

I'm really glad you have a good job and can make a good living for yourself. :)

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for myself, as I've been unemployed for almost 3 years now. Around 80 thousand Cypriots are without a job these days, and for that, Europe and our government is to blame. We have so many foreigners living and working here, and the last year or so, Greeks have been coming here and stealing the jobs of their "brothers" the Cypriots. And it came to the point that Cypriots have no choice but to leave their country and go abroad to find jobs and make a living for themselves.

And honestly, I'm thinking to do the same, cause things are completely hopeless right now. And they re bound to get worse...

• Paladinlover likes this

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Happy Birthday PL sweety :D *hug, kiss*

I'm really glad you have a good job and can make a good living for yourself. :)

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for myself, as I've been unemployed for almost 3 years now. Around 80 thousand Cypriots are without a job these days, and for that, Europe and our government is to blame. We have so many foreigners living and working here, and the last year or so, Greeks have been coming here and stealing the jobs of their "brothers" the Cypriots. And it came to the point that Cypriots have no choice but to leave their country and go abroad to find jobs and make a living for themselves.

And honestly, I'm thinking to do the same, cause things are completely hopeless right now. And they re bound to get worse...

I know how you feel, I've been watching the whole financial situation like a hawk, and what really scares me is how these bankers are using Cyprus as a test to see how the rest of the world will react once they apply the exact same thing to the rest of Europe, the US, and Canada. The whole world is slowing down and turning to crap in so many ways its just depressing. I'm honestly worried that Canada would be next on the list of countries to go down hard. It is still pretty bad over here with increasing unemployment rates. I mean Quebec has the second or is first even in unemployment in Canada. Currently, Canada has stronger regulation on the banks than some other countries, but even those won't stem the tides for too long. I have quite a bit of cash in my savings now, and I said, and even more with my dad in Lebanon (the money I saved up while I was in Dubai. I saved literally every penny I made and never spent any of it). I feel like any day now my savings might get sucked down the drain that is the financial crisis. I would say more about it, but it's a huge topic and I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about it.

I really hope that things do get better for you. We've all been in the same position and when I heard the crisis popping up in Cyprus, you're the first person I thought of there. In some ways I don't spend much time trying to chase girls because my mind is on so many other things. I'm worried far more about the future than I ever was, and I was always the type of guy who cared about where the world was headed.

I shall omit my usual tag phrase for this post.

• Elsa Von Spielburg likes this

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#4 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

Happy Birthday!  A little late yes, I haven't been on here much in the last month, but here I am now.  I remember 30  :)   Wasn't too long ago.  Despite what some people may tell you, it isn't all downhill from 30.  You don't sound worried, but if you are, turn that frown upside down.   :P

On the job front, things in Ontario aren't great either.  But they aren't as bad as they could be.  Part of the issue I see around me is that sometimes people won't take the "lower" jobs.  By that I mean working at a grocery store, stocking shelves, working night shifts.  People have their reasons, but the way some people talk is that they think they are above those types of jobs; those jobs aren't good enough.  It's as if some people have a sense of entitlement, like they should just be handed a high paying job without having to work their way up to that.  That's not the right attitude in my opinion.

Personally I'm doing well, but if I were to lose my job, I would be applying at building supply stores, grocery stores, and whatever else.  I'd take a minimum wage job just to keep at least some money coming in.  I wouldn't want to risk losing my house.  Some people don't have that attitude.  There are many other things wrong with our economy, but people refusing to take jobs that are available doesn't help.

In Canada I think the damage has been limited because we tend to be conservative about things.  Some people have really gotten into financial trouble, but we seem to not have had issues to the same extreme as other countries.  We did not have the same housing economy implosion like we saw in parts of the US, but we still felt it.  Housing prices in the US seem to be making a slow recovery, so at least it sounds like it's getting a bit better.

Hopefully things improve there Elsa, but from what you've said and what I've read, it seems you may have to travel to find a better quality of life.  That is very hard if it means leaving family and friends behind.

How is Cyprus in terms of work for men and women?  Is there fair treatment, or is it harder for women to get some of the jobs?  Here things are pretty fair, but there are still some industries that I think are harder for women to get into.  Jobs like auto mechanics, construction workers, are almost always men.

#5 Klausse

Klausse

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

My dear PL,

wishing you all the best for your 30th birthday.  It's good to know you're enjoying the life and hopefully it will stay so for years and years to come.

I hardly appear here, but once in a while when the Sierra nostalgie hits especially hard, I check familiar places. It's so great to see people from that wonderful time.  

user posted image

#6 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

Happy Birthday!  A little late yes, I haven't been on here much in the last month, but here I am now.  I remember 30  :)   Wasn't too long ago.  Despite what some people may tell you, it isn't all downhill from 30.  You don't sound worried, but if you are, turn that frown upside down.   :P

On the job front, things in Ontario aren't great either.  But they aren't as bad as they could be.  Part of the issue I see around me is that sometimes people won't take the "lower" jobs.  By that I mean working at a grocery store, stocking shelves, working night shifts.  People have their reasons, but the way some people talk is that they think they are above those types of jobs; those jobs aren't good enough.  It's as if some people have a sense of entitlement, like they should just be handed a high paying job without having to work their way up to that.  That's not the right attitude in my opinion.

Personally I'm doing well, but if I were to lose my job, I would be applying at building supply stores, grocery stores, and whatever else.  I'd take a minimum wage job just to keep at least some money coming in.  I wouldn't want to risk losing my house.  Some people don't have that attitude.  There are many other things wrong with our economy, but people refusing to take jobs that are available doesn't help.

In Canada I think the damage has been limited because we tend to be conservative about things.  Some people have really gotten into financial trouble, but we seem to not have had issues to the same extreme as other countries.  We did not have the same housing economy implosion like we saw in parts of the US, but we still felt it.  Housing prices in the US seem to be making a slow recovery, so at least it sounds like it's getting a bit better.

Hopefully things improve there Elsa, but from what you've said and what I've read, it seems you may have to travel to find a better quality of life.  That is very hard if it means leaving family and friends behind.

How is Cyprus in terms of work for men and women?  Is there fair treatment, or is it harder for women to get some of the jobs?  Here things are pretty fair, but there are still some industries that I think are harder for women to get into.  Jobs like auto mechanics, construction workers, are almost always men.

I don't feel bad at all at turning 30. If anything, I feel pretty great about it. My only regret that is that I didn't learn to draw better and do more artistic stuff, that's one thing, and didn't date enough girls... and the job thing. Beyond that I'm actually feeling fantastic.

As for the jobs... I understand what you're saying that some people feel that they're 'above' doing menial work, but you have to understand, this isn't a case of people being too spoiled by society, but the fact that the jobs they could get don't provide a living wage. I slaved as a video game tester for two and a half years. It was a job I could get, but it was an unstable, project based deal where I didn't feel like I was producing anything, and on top of that it was a minimum wage job. I was scrimping for every dollar I could get, still very dependent on my family for support, and I was one on-call period away from homelessness.

Quite simply, the standard of living is declining, and this isn't a joke. I love the 21st century with all its gadgetry and technology and knowledge, but the sad reality is, we need a renaissance to bring back some of the good things about the past. We need more entrepreneurs, more middle-class jobs, and most of all, get the laws reinstated to restrain the big banks and corporations from looting everyone. This isn't a joke, the politicians and people at the top are acting like the kings and nobility of old and treating everyone beneath as expendable peasants.

Again, I omit my usual end phrase.

#7 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

I understand what you are saying about the jobs as well.  Some jobs are below the poverty line / below minimum cost of living, I get that.

On the flipside, for people in their late teens / early 20's, sometimes you have to just take what you can get and work your way up.  Work your way up within a company, or get job experience and then move to another company that has some better paying jobs.  I know it's not always that simple, but I've seen people I know stay unemployed because they refuse to take certain jobs.  I also don't mean to say that younger people deserve to have crappy jobs.  It's more that by the time people have been out working for 10 years, they are more likely to have an advantage by having more job experience.  My point there is I think it's better to take on something rather than not do anything.  I also think some companies are more likely to take on a new employee who is already working over someone who is not working, if their skillsets are equal.

In any case, things are definitely tough these days.  As  you said, the standard of living has gone, and still is going, downhill.  For now we just have to do what we can for ourselves and our families.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users