#1 FriedChicken

FriedChicken

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi folks!

First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Niek, i turned 20 2 days ago. And I can still remember when my father bought this game back in (i think!) 1988 or 1989. I remember the awesome cover of the box, with the dragon.

I don't think I started to play this game right away, since I was 3, and English isn't my mother language. I am from Holland. But i'm 100% sure I was playing this game when I was 4 (So that would be in 1990).

My dad and I made a list with commands I could use during the game, such as 'look at' 'ask about' 'pick lock' 'fight' 'run' 'search body' and so on. And at some time I made a map so I knew where all the different parts of the game where. So I can really say "Hero's Quest" helped me with my English. At that time I was playing some other RPG/Adventure games on my Nintendo (Especially the Castlevania games) but because of my age at some point I got stuck, because my english wasn't good enough to help me through the game. I think I got stuck with QFG when I had to visit Baba Yaga and the cave with the Kobold.

Anyway, during my youth I always came back to this game and installed it every few years and started to play again, about 3 years ago I started from scratch and began to play seriously. I soon found out a lot of stuff. The password, the rhyme, the ring, the potion and I found out what to do with the bear. (Years ago I just killed the bear..) and I found out what that awesome Antwerp was all about.

Anyway. When I played this game at age 5 or 6 I discovered that in the woods in some trees or bushes (Can't remember which) eyes will pop up. But when I played it recently I can't seem to find them. Did any of you guys see the eyes?

Niek.

Oh yeah, I'm writing a symphonic version of the QFG1 Theme Song bounce.gif

Ah yeah, that bouncing smilie reminds me of the good ol' Antwerp. Except for the 4 eyes and the moustache

#2 Ad Avis

Ad Avis

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hello, Niek.

I've never really played the EGA version; the VGA was the first QGI version, and the first QG game, I played, so I've never seen the opening and closing eyes in the EGA version. But I know the opening and closing eyes in the VGA version are quite noticeable; I'm certain others noticed the eyes in the EGA version if they're there.

BTW - you should share your symphonic version of the QG1 theme song once it is completed. I would definitely like to hear it (and I'm a lot of others here would too).

(And I think I should face some consequences for my excessive use of the word "version".)

Edited by Ad Avis, 09 February 2006 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Darian Kheynes

Darian Kheynes

Realistic Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

IIIRC if you stay in a forest screen for long enough the eyes start popping. At least in the screen where you meet the fox. Ain't sure about that, though.

It's neat to hear how this game has stuck with you for so many years. For me Hero's Quest was the game that got me hooked on Sierra's adventures back in '93 or something. Always something new to find in these games.

I'd also like to hear your version of the theme song. Please post a link when it's done.
"Fear holds us and binds us and keeps us from growing... It kills a small piece of us each day. It holds us to what we know and keeps us from what's possible, and it's our worst enemy. Fear doesn't announce itself; it's disguised, and it's subtle. It's choosing the safe course; most of us feel we have 'rational' reasons to avoid taking risks... The brave man is not the one without fear, but the one who does what he must despite being afraid. To succeed, you must be willing to risk total failure; you must learn this."

- Raymond E. Feist, The King's Buccaneer

#4 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

Darian, you do remember correctly. smile.gif

Along the path which leads out of Spielburg, you can go up one screen which leads to the Healer's area, or, you can follow the path to the right. If you walk two screens to the right (once outside of Spielburg), that is the screen where you will see the eyes. If you get to the screen where the path is blocked by snow, you have gone one screen too far to the right.

#5 Klausse

Klausse

Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

Hi, Niek wave1.gif

The eyes only appear when you take Hilde to the forest after sunset. Of course, you have to drag Heinrich with you, too (he wouldn't allow Hilde to go alone), so the romantic walk turns into kind of a family picnic. Somewhere by the SpiegelSee, if you manage to run away from him, he'll lose you but certainly would try to chase and find you, so it's then when you begin to see the eyes - it is Heinrich watching you from behind the bushes when he happens to sniff your track.
user posted image

#6 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

roflmao.gif