• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS & TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Away from the comp?.. drinking.. mostly drinking ;P

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hey guys,

It’s taken a few weeks and some help from Deltamatrix in the other thread but I've finally finished my Hero 6 videos showing quick playthroughs of the big 2006 MAD engine demo and the smaller but more polished 2009 AGS demo. If any of you out there have been following the project over the last decade wanted to see how much was done and see all the brilliant work that went into the game over the years now you can! It is my hope that by showing the world this game on youtube it will never be forgotten and maybe more fans will be inspired to help bring the project back from the dead or create great QFG style projects of their own.

I've posted new screenshots, download links and embedded the videos in the Hero 6 page at my website but I’ll post the vids here too to make it easier. :)

2006 MAD Engine Alpha Demo (in 2 Parts)
This demo boasts a very large game world to explore with a town and 2 villages containing many npcs to talk to (with a QFG4 full screen protrait style). There are many monsters to fight and even some jobs to do for the npcs.
taUMbl4.png SFzpUYa.png

2009 AGS Engine Alpha Demo (in 3 Parts)
This demo reflects the downsizing of the project with a smaller game world however it is much more polished and contains story and multiple quests to complete therefore making it much longer to play! In a way it almost feels like a sequel to the 2006 demo as places you could visit before are now dead, overgrown and haunted. The battles are better as well with new enemies and gang fights.
yCKXZp7.png yC2vyeV.png P8ykGHU.png

Edited by Blake00, 07 July 2017 - 02:06 PM.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods for Doom 2, & Civilization 2.
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.
- Lord Of The Rings, & Star Trek action pictures.

#2 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff- Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and such), Pixar and Disney movies (and Dreamworks too!), books like Warriors and The Mysterious Benedict Society, Avatar: The Last Airbender, slowly becoming a Muppets fan, and alo starting to get into Sierra games (mostly King's Quest and Quest For Glory with a dash of Space Quest as well)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

*nods her head in approval*

That 2009 one is REALLY good!

#3 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

WOW...... Just WOW!!!!

I'm amazed at how much they got done on that. I can't believe anyone would come that far just to give up.

I also gotta say my understanding of HERO 6 was always that it was an unofficial sequel to the QfG games, but just didn't mention them specifically in order to avoid copyright infringement. For that reason, I was never big on the idea of HERO 6, because I didn't like the idea of anyone other than the Coles doing a sequel. But from what I can see, this doesn't look like a sequel as much as its own standalone game in the same style, and apparently set in a similar universe (not identical, since their school for wizards seems to be a bit different). I like that idea a lot! I'm not at all against making more QfG-style games, I just feel that the Coles should be the ones to continue the QfG story itself.

Consider me officially converted! We gotta get this thing finished!

#4 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff- Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and such), Pixar and Disney movies (and Dreamworks too!), books like Warriors and The Mysterious Benedict Society, Avatar: The Last Airbender, slowly becoming a Muppets fan, and alo starting to get into Sierra games (mostly King's Quest and Quest For Glory with a dash of Space Quest as well)

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Indeed we do! Even if it takes us several more years, I'm sure, like The Silver Lining, we WILL rise from the ashes once more!

Pheonix Online Studios didn't give up, why should we?

Edited by Soulforge89, 21 August 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#5 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

oh wow! Very good videos! (I wonder what happened to the Belenus sprite?) - you have made even the incomplete and unpolished nature of the game seem nostalgic and I do regret even more that it is not completed.

Oh well. Perhaps it will be some day.

#6 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS & TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (deltamatrix @ Aug 29 2012, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh wow! Very good videos! (I wonder what happened to the Belenus sprite?) - you have made even the incomplete and unpolished nature of the game seem nostalgic and I do regret even more that it is not completed.

Oh well. Perhaps it will be some day.

Thanks mate, couldn't have done it without you! smile.gif

Yeah in the end I had to cut in some scenes from the compiled final 2011 source over the top of the 2009 ones to fix some of the problems (no golem sprite etc) however sadly in both versions Belenus stopped working in chapter 2 and you can't even click on his cup either. And yeah I found a lot of ways to get around the games bugs and make it look like what I was doing was 'meant to happen' and that everything was fine haha, and thanks to you telling me about the F10 and F11 teleporting tricks I was able to access the tower for chapter 3. God knows how I was meant to get up there properly haha.

Yeah I really hope that people see the videos and/or my page and come here with interest in reviving the project some day. smile.gif

Edited by Blake00, 29 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Game Shrines for Heroes of Might and Magic Series, Quest for Glory Series, Elder Scrolls Series, & Babylon 5 Fan Games.
- Emulation.

#7 James StarRunner

James StarRunner

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Very nice!

It doesn't seem like a true sequel though. It seems to me that you're playing as a new hero. Hero 6 would probably fare better if it was treated as it's own game.
Evil wizards? Dark Knights? Banana pudding? I'll take them all on!

#8 deltamatrix

deltamatrix

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (James StarRunner @ Aug 29 2012, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice!

It doesn't seem like a true sequel though. It seems to me that you're playing as a new hero. Hero 6 would probably fare better if it was treated as it's own game.

That was the idea wink.gif

#9 Blake00

Blake00

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Retro gaming, sierra classics, RPGs, RTS &amp; TBS strategy games, fan games, basic web design.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

I liked how there were still some small connections to QFG though (eg the linotaur farmer in the MAD version) appearing as though you were playing in the same world but with a different hero.

Its definitely best and safer as a non QFG sequel but there's nothing wrong with a few 'tips of the hat' to the QFG series with races and character dialogue heh. wink.gif

Edited by Blake00, 30 August 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation.

#10 Soulforge89

Soulforge89

Young Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

And yet, part of me wants to make a story (taking place in my "Three Heroes" QFG universe) involving this Hero. Either him being one of my Heroes going on another journey, or one of their descendants trying to live up to their family name by doing something heroic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users