Photo

Error 52 has been defeated (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 Ithilwen

Ithilwen

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:06 PM

Wow! This sounds great! I downloaded the Windows version of DosBox and it's running fine ...I think.

My deal is that it's been so long since I used real MS DOS that I'm having trouble figuring out how to install and run programs in it, and I can't seem to find any instructions on the site. Could you guys tell me what you did?

And just to give you a point of reference, a "mount" is something I climb.

I've got the Collection CD, but I could probably go dig for my old floppy disk version of Shadows.

#32 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hello smile.gif

First of all - you don't need the floppy version - all the testing we did here was done with the CD Collection Series smile.gif

Second if you go to Page2 of this thread you will find the exact instructions on how to run the program and start the games smile.gif

Good Luck thumbs.gif

Oh yeah and as far as the mount part... the word mount can be used as a verb as well and if/when you play Qfg2 you will know that it's used a lot there lol.gif

Hope it works out for you smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#33 Spearflight

Spearflight

Hero of Three Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Music: Almost anything under the sun, bar rap, hip hop, country and most pop. Includes (but not limited to) Five Iron Frenzy, Green Day, Lit, Disturbed, System of a Down, Haste the Day, Suburban Legends, Pink Floyd and more.<br><br>Video games: RPGs! Adventure games! And RTS games! These are the ones I play most often, but you will find FPS, Platformers, and Turn Based Strategy also. Age of Empires, Septerra Core, .hack, Starcraft, Arcanum, Quest for Glory (duh!), Half-Life (at least, I used ta) and Kohan are a few examples.<br><br>Books: Mostly Fantasy and Sci/Fi. Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, and Douglas Adams are some of my favorite.<br><br>Things to do: Noodle around with a pair of drumsticks and an empty surface. Programming. Read, play games, listen to music. Wander around town acting like a total goof. Not much else. :-)

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:26 AM

Mount is a *nix command. Basically, you have to do that everytime you want to use a drive in *nix. Many modern Linux distros automatically mount the HD's on startup, but you have to manual mount floppy drives and CD drives before you can use them. So that's a lil bit of history behind that. ^^

And you don't have to worry about installing in the DosBox or in Dos or anything. In your game folder on the CD should be a file named "Install.bat" or something like that. The icon for it is typically a lil Window with a gear/cog on it. I'll link a picture of it for reference purposes.

And also, it'll give you some sort of gibberish about typing qg4cd to start it, but you can sorta ignore that. Just make sure you remember where you installed your Quest for Glory game at, as you'll need this info for step 6. For that step, the command would be: cd "path/you/installed/qfg" and then the next step is the name of the Quest for Glory game file. Just remember, cd is an acronym for "change directory" and you should do fine. ^^

After you have installed it, if you want to port your hero from an earlier game, you might have to run the game outside of DOSBox for the duration it takes to import, as I had trouble importing in SoD.

But as Elsa said, pretty much everything else is on the previous page ( Number 2 ). Just follow her directions to the letter and you should be good to go. And if you still need help, well that's what we're here for. biggrin.gif thumbs.gif
New email address: At gmail I am known as samurai.eskimo

------------------------------------

My Inner Hero - Paladin

Sorry, no description or picture since my HtbH account still thinks I'm a wizard, but I'm actually in the paladin wing of the forums. Oh well, that's life. :)

#34 Meth

Meth

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 11:27 AM

Yay it worked!! *Does a lil jig*

Sound glorious, glorious sound! Music!! wow.gif

*Brings back fond memories*

Fear the wrath of my paladin devil.gif

#35 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

ok, I have DOSBox, I installed the QG Collection (the one that came from the Collection CD, although I think I have the Anthology CD around here too if that helps, the one w/o the QG5 demo/soundtrack) but I had to install it thru the Windows installer since the DOS one was telling me I had to install the QG5 demo (don't ask me). So I installed all 4 and tried to run QG1 Remake and QG4 in DOSBox. Well, QG1 loaded, but QG4 was a different story: it couldn't be found angryfire.gif

So, next I found the QG4 DOS installer (that just installs QG4) and installed that. So I went back to DOSBox and it finally ran QG4. I get the music and the werewolves and everything at startup and I go and create a fighter named none other than Jardo Jard (there's a story behind that name biggrin.gif ) and try to take him thru the beginning. Well, the first thing I noticed was, even when I changed the CPU cycles and all that, I still couldn't hear good 'ol John-Rhys Davies or any of the speech. I made sure the audio was enabled and all of that and I remember having this bug when playing the game a long time ago. Not only is there no speech, but the dialogue boxes only appear onscreen for a second, like they were skipped. I thought this would be the only problem, but I was wrong. So I go to fight those cute widdle badders and I realize that there's no combat sound effects as well. I was getting all other sound effects but those.

Very perturbed, I won the battle, crossed the pit, left the cave, etc etc. Here comes the worse part: I enter the path, where the dreaded ERROR OF DEATH!!!!! awaited me. I thought to myself, "Self, we can conquer this SOB like we've conquered it before." However, to my dismay, I prepare my little 16-bit avatar for the slide down when....... THE GAME CRASHES!!!!! Well, I'm gonna try to reinstall w/ a different soundcard to see if that fixes the sound. I told it I was using Soundblaster (which my soundcard basically is, it's obviously not one from that era). Do remember, some of the sounds work, so I got that far. And QG1 ran fine for the 2 seconds I played the game. If anyone has any further suggestions after this novella of a post, please let me know.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.

#36 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:11 PM

oh yeah, forgot to mention that I was running QG4 at around 7600 CPU cycles.

Is there a way that, instead of tweaking the CPU cycles w/ F11 and F12 that you can type in and set what you want it to run at? I wasn't able to tweak it to exactly 7727 CPU cycles.

Edited by Matthias, 08 February 2004 - 09:12 PM.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#37 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:26 PM

You have to mount your cd-rom drive as Elsa explained earlier for the sounds to work.

Try reducing the number of cycles to get past the errors. The more cycles, the faster it goes, and the higher the chances of timing errors. At the very least make sure you don't rocket your processor past about 97% capacity. Unless your computer is a monster this can happen very quickly (like 4000 cycles).

#38 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:42 PM

yes, my CD-ROM drive is mounted. I've already read every post on this topic, so I know what to do. I've run into this problem before way back when (I think when I first got the Collection) and I'm pretty sure it's the sound card. I haven't experimented w/ installing w/ a different soundcard. Here's my system specs:

Intel P4 Processor 2.4 GHZ processor, 256 mb of RAM ( angryfire.gif ), ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card, and Creative Sound Blaster Live! Soundcard

Now, for questions: 1.) What resolution should I run DOSBox at while in full screen to get the game to span the whole screen because it fills the screen when it's in window mode, but when I switch to full screen, it's inside a rectangle that's off-center.
2.) I'm guessing my running into error 52 has to do w/ the speed the game was running at. It seemed to be running perfectly, but I'm thinking it might've worked past that area if I had turned detail all the way down or maybe I had DOSBox skip some frames....suggestions?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#39 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

The screen size has to do with refresh timing of certain resolutions. It's a rather annoying problem that's all over the DOSBox forums but I'm sorry to admit that I was too lazy to ever read about it and just ran it windowed. You'll have to search their forums for the solution, but it is there.

For the errors I don't have a real solution but my guess would be to do everything you can to keep it slow. Don't increase CPU cycles and don't skip frames. The thing that slows DOSBox the most is rendering frames and it's likely that your graphics card does this so quickly you're again falling victim to timing. Also, like you said try turning down detail. These are only guesses, so play around and see if you can get anything to work. Remember, slower is better, and once you're past error prone areas you can always crank the cycles back up. You also might try asking around the DOSBox forums as they know a lot more about this program than I do, but I don't know how good they are about getting back to anyone. Worth a shot though. Good luck!

#40 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:28 AM

thanks for the help, David!

Status update: I did get the voiceovers to work. I have two CD-ROM drives (well, a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive) and I normally use the CD-RW drive for games since it has a faster read speed and having both drives mounted in DOSBox, I was stubbornly using the CD-RW drive. Well, as soon as I switched to the DVD-ROM drive, the voice acting worked. However, I still am not getting combat sounds and have no idea why. Hell, the sounds work perfectly in every other game, it's just QG4 that's giving me trouble. I even reinstalled just now (had to reinstall 1-3 in the Windows installation, since the DOS one is bugged and keeps telling me I need the QG5 demo installed first angryfire.gif ) I wish I knew where my Anthology CD was frown.gif

Anyway, I'm taking a break, hopefully this'll work and I'll finally be able to play through the series once again

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#41 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:55 AM

Well since we have the same video card and mine plays all the games just fine - I don't see why the video card would be the problem.

Also the soundcard problem seems impossible to me - since you re using a Sound Blaster card and the game is emulating a sound blaster card as well (even if it's a lot older). Especially since I use a totally different sound card and it works fine!

Though one thing you could try there would be to change the Sound Blaster's irq to 5 instead of 7 that it is by default (at least in my case!). I don't know if that will actually change anything but it's something I would try yup smile.gif To change your Sound Blaster's irq open the DosBox.cof file. Then scroll down to the sound blaster options and just change the irq from 7 to 5 smile.gif

Hope this helps smile.gif

#42 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

I think it might've had something to do w/ the way I installed it. I first installed the Windows version of each game (which hasn't really effected the 1st three games in the two seconds I messed around w/ them) and then ran the QG4Install.bat file for the QG4CD DOS version.

Yesterday, I wiped the slate clean and reinstalled the Windows version of just 1-3 since, like I said, the DOS version of the installer was bugged and kept telling me I had to install the QG5 demo first. Then I separately installed the QG4CD DOS version w/ the separate installer and I haven't checked to see if it's even working at all yet. I'll give an update when I know.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#43 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Matthias @ Feb 9 2004, 08:35 PM)
I think it might've had something to do w/ the way I installed it. I first installed the Windows version of each game (which hasn't really effected the 1st three games in the two seconds I messed around w/ them) and then ran the QG4Install.bat file for the QG4CD DOS version.

Yesterday, I wiped the slate clean and reinstalled the Windows version of just 1-3 since, like I said, the DOS version of the installer was bugged and kept telling me I had to install the QG5 demo first. Then I separately installed the QG4CD DOS version w/ the separate installer and I haven't checked to see if it's even working at all yet. I'll give an update when I know.

You know a game's good when you're willing to go through all of this wink.gif

#44 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 04:19 AM

si biggrin.gif

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#45 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:27 AM

I get the exact same error when I try to install via Dos prompt in WinXP Pro.

So I run the Qfg4 installer directly as well and it works just fine smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users